Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  CFI
Cross Fire Injection. Method of fuel delivery in the L82 motor. The 1984 is the only C4 to use the L82. This is the same engine used in the 1982 C3. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

C4Fanatic HEY PETERK.......Got a tranny question.........
Guru Newb
Land of Ahhhhs
13 Posts

Not the dress wearing kind either!!!

Fished around a little over on DC about this. Say a guy was to ditch the TPI and go with a carb. It's my understanding on an '87, the ECM controls the lock up of the torque convertor. Is that pretty much all it does regarding the trans? Would your best bet be to have the trans rebuilt and do away with the electrically controlled convertor? Or am I fishing in the wrong direction? I'm also going to do away with the Atari/exploding scoreboard dash, what else does the ECM control that I may be forgetting and need to be concerned about. Any and all help appreciated, car has been sitting on jack stands long enough, time to get her put back together.

Thanks
Posted on: 2008/1/2 23:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

81c3 RE:HEY PETERK.......Got a tranny question.........
Senior Guru
Colorado
143 Posts

I think you will need to get a mechanically driven speedo cable if you are going to get regular gages. The one in there now is electrically controlled. If it were me & I was going to do a rebuild on the tranny, in your case, I would get a new standard converter with a little more stall to boot.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 23:36

C4Fanatic RE:HEY PETERK.......Got a tranny question.........
Guru Newb
Land of Ahhhhs
13 Posts

Speedo cable is on the list of must haves already, thanks though.

Yea, I'm thinking the same thing regarding the trans.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 23:56

CFI-EFI RE:HEY PETERK.......Got a tranny question.........
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

The only interaction between the ECM and the trans, is the converter lock up as you mentioned. You could install a manual switch or there are aftermarket converter controllers available. The car will get better mileage and the trans will run cooler, and therefore last longer, with the lock up clutch in the converter functional. The only thing in the dash that relies on the ECM is the fuel mileage readout. All the other gauges will work fine without the ECM. Use extreme care in setting up the TV cable connection at the carb. The proper kit for the exact carb being used or very precise geometry must be achieved, or you may end up with a lump where your transmission used to be. If you stick with an electronic speedo, you shouldn't need to make any changes, there as long as it is set up for the same number of pulses per mile as the stocker.

You really ought to be sure this is what you want to do. It is a shame to take an EFI car and convert it back to old technology. Maybe you can find an old flathead to swap in there.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/2 23:56

Notorious RE:HEY PETERK.......Got a tranny question.........
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Maybe you can find an old flathead to swap in there.

RACE ON!!!

Few things sound sweeter than a hot-rodded flathead. But if he wants to modify it past about 300 HP, that three main bearing design will give up the ghost!
Posted on: 2008/1/3 0:03

Guru Newb
Land of Ahhhhs
13 Posts

Quote:
The only interaction between the ECM and the trans, is the converter lock up as you mentioned. You could install a manual switch or there are aftermarket converter controllers available. The car will get better mileage and the trans will run cooler, and therefore last longer, with the lock up clutch in the converter functional. The only thing in the dash that relies on the ECM is the fuel mileage readout. All the other gauges will work fine without the ECM. Use extreme care in setting up the TV cable connection at the carb. The proper kit for the exact carb being used or very precise geometry must be achieved, or you may end up with a lump where your transmission used to be. If you stick with an electronic speedo, you shouldn't need to make any changes, there as long as it is set up for the same number of pulses per mile as the stocker.

You really ought to be sure this is what you want to do. It is a shame to take an EFI car and convert it back to old technology. Maybe you can find an old flathead to swap in there.

RACE ON!!!

Thanks for the info. Probably going to go mechanical on the speedo and just order a cable.
I guess I'm more of an old school, street rod, kinda guy, like playing with carbs and jets, not chips and laptops, to try and go faster. Like I told one of the guys over on DC, those under hood superchargers are cute, but give me a polished 6-71 sticking out of the hood, with twin Dominators on top and I'm a happy man.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 0:18

CFI-EFI RE:HEY PETERK.......Got a tranny question.........
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

I grew up on carbs and advance weights, too. I am being dragged, reluctantly, kicking and screaming into the 21st century. My C4 hasn't had any type of computer mods, just old school stuff. Still, I hate to see a modern, first generation, electronic fuel injected machine, retro fitted back in time. I feel if that is what one prefers to play with, they are starting with the wrong foundation. However, to each there own.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/3 0:29

PeteK RE:HEY PETERK.......Got a tranny question.........
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

A nice, simple, easy, cheap way to handle the lock up is with a 1 wire hook up that will let it lock in 4th gear only.
If you have 12 volts ignition power to terminal A at the trans connector, simply drop the pan and mod the internal wiring. Run terminal A to the red lock up solenoid wire. Then run the black wire on the solenoid to the Normally open 4th gear pressure switch. If you currently have a normally closed switch, the normally open switch is only about 8 bucks.
By wiring it this way, it will send a ground to the solenoid, allowing it to open.
Lock up will only work in 4th gear, but in my opinion, it is a nice, drivable setup.
I run it this way on my own 87 coupe.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 1:11

Guru Newb
Land of Ahhhhs
13 Posts

Quote:
Still, I hate to see a modern, first generation, electronic fuel injected machine, retro fitted back in time. I feel if that is what one prefers to play with, they are starting with the wrong foundation. However, to each there own.RACE ON!!!

Well, I always wanted a street rod/hot rod, but I bought a Vette instead, and it just happens to be what is in my garage to play with right now.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 2:34

JrRifleCoach RE:HEY PETERK.......Got a tranny question.........
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Heres an option for the TC switch

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/3 5:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.