Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

NC Kid Interesting thought about pcs
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

To give a fast overview, I was going to school for the medical field and changed to computers. My teacher was talking about how a firewall worked. He uses a brick wall as a visual for us. He was telling us how a two way firewall is better than a one way firewall. So I took it upon myself to get rid of my current cheap AVS/Firewall and re order my Kaspersky which is a two way firewall.

Then I turned on the windows Vista firewall. So that means I have 3 way protection isntead of one. I made a comment to my teacher about it and he said bad idea. He said the firewalls will conflict with each other. He said the windows firewall is useless anyway but I beg to differ. I think two firewalls(one being a two way) would be better. I have nothing to hide nor fear of getting hacked, it's just a test I am playing with. I set up both firewalls to allow and block each program. Im going to see how it works out. Kinda stupid but I am a computer geek and had some spare time on my hands. Most of my life is studying to keep up with this guys test.

I just thought I would share my experiment in case anyone else is into computers.

Next lesson is why you should avoid laptops vs desktops. The first part of the discussion was that desktops last alot longer than laptops. Anyone know if thats true or just personal opinion?

BTW, in case anyone needs free software for their computers, get AVG free version. It really works. I have it on my desktop and it stopped a trojan horse. No other issues but since money is tight, I just thought I would pass on the information to help keep computers safe and let the dollar go a little further.

On a different note, I took a bottle of "air" and took the cover off my desktop and cleaned it out. WOW! It blew out a huge amount of dust and the fan doesn't come on as often or as long now. :-) It was only 5 dollars at the local computer shop.
Posted on: 2009/10/4 21:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Interesting thought about pcs
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:

Next lesson is why you should avoid laptops vs desktops. The first part of the discussion was that desktops last alot longer than laptops. Anyone know if thats true or just personal opinion?

Doesn't matter, both are damn near obsolete when you carry your new one out of the store.
I'm on a Toshiba lap that's 4 years old, paid a tad over $400 for it on sale.
I went thru a bunch of laptops when I was working, the company gave us a neww one every 3 years. None of them ever failed or had a problem.

I do have a desktop that has 2- 5 1/2inch floppys and no harddrive that probably still runs. Guess how old that is.
Posted on: 2009/10/4 21:55

bogus Re: Interesting thought about pcs
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Feature for feature, desktops are better. They offer more growth and are much more scalable.

However, laptops offer utility - ie, the ability to go places - that a desktop will never offer.
Posted on: 2009/10/5 0:20

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Sweet90 Re: Interesting thought about pcs
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

A router should be part of any computer. They offer one of the best inbound defenses you can have. That's holds true for Mac users as well.

Jim
Posted on: 2009/10/5 14:44

teebee Re: Interesting thought about pcs
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12375 Posts

Yup, a natural firewall.
Posted on: 2009/10/6 2:56

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Livin_the_dream Re: Interesting thought about pcs
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

I use laptops for work as well. They average about 4-5 years before replacement and go through tons of abuse without problems . Bet I open and close the lid at least ten times a day. I did have one years ago that had a hinge problem however that has not happened on the last two.
Posted on: 2009/10/6 10:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.