Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
283 user(s) are online (214 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Transverse Leaf Spring
(TLS) A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it functions similarly to two ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

JonnyAngle Timing on the '86
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

I just put the lt1 intake on my '86 l98. Everything has been re-assempld but I have a question on the timing.

I set the timing by ear at first(before I had a timing light.) When I put the light on what I thought was optimal, it was at 8-10 degrees advanced. The stock setting is 6.

I set the timing to 6 degrees and it just didn't seem to run as well.

If I advance it back to 8 degrees am I going to get burn spots on my pistons or any other ill effects?
Posted on: 2009/11/18 2:45

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Timing on the '86
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

2 degrees won't make a difference as far as detonation. Might be due to other factors, such as worn timing chain, etc.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/11/18 3:29

benny42 Re: Timing on the '86
Guru Newb
Houston, Tx
91 Posts

I have a stock intake and run 10*. If i set it to 12+*, the
car surges in 1st gear at low speeds (parking lots). Mines a
4+3, an auto may act differently. benny
Posted on: 2009/11/18 6:24

dan0617 Re: Timing on the '86
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Going to an LT1 intake will likely require a new tune. I'm guessing more timing at idle and cruise, possibly less at WOT. Just guessing though, you will have to find out what the combo works best with.
Posted on: 2009/11/18 13:41

86PACER Re: Timing on the '86
Guru Newb
41 Posts

Is this an old stock balancer?

Check for slippage. Had a similar problem. I was unkowingly setting my timing to a damper mark that had shifted. Had to set it by ear otherwise the car ran like azz with timing mark set to spec.

When the outer rings slip on these, they walk backwards towards the timing cover and rotate at the same time.
Posted on: 2009/11/23 10:50

JonnyAngle Re: Timing on the '86
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

Yes, it is the stock balancer. I think going by earis going to be the best bet for me. Wife will be happier that I don't need to buy MY OWN timing light. win, win.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 4:41

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

A timing light is about $20. I bought one and have used it several times more than I ever thought I would. The "setting by ear" method isn't the best way, but you can get it close.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/11/25 5:42

86PACER Re: Timing on the '86
Guru Newb
41 Posts

Quote:

JonnyAngle wrote:
Yes, it is the stock balancer. I think going by earis going to be the best bet for me. Wife will be happier that I don't need to buy MY OWN timing light. win, win.

I paid about $60 for a real nice Craftsman light at Sears.
It doubles as a usefull spark checker on no start conditions.

If your balancer is slipped it's not something you want to put off. It's going to butt up against the timing cover eventually and begin to grind. When it does it's only a matter of time till it eats clean through it, adding metal shavings in the oil, and rewarding you with a big ass oil leak. By this time you probably already circulated some of it through the motor. All for a $50 part. And if you do have to replace it, Autozone rents both the puller and and installer basically for free with a refundable deposit. You get your money back as long as you don't trash their tool after using it.

I have another one to change in a Camaro. Damn thing is already grinding on the timing cover. This one went unheard because the grinding noise was drowned out by the noise of the engine running.

I assume you don't know how to tell.

You should not be able to see any part of the balancer through the the hole in the timing tab. On a good balancer, the tip of the timing tab teeth should be suspended halfway over the balancer ring as in the first pic. You can use these as reference points to tell slippage.

If you crawl under the car and see almost no space between the balancer and the timing cover, it's slipped. You should be able to fit your fingers behind it easily.

Good:
[URL=http://img526.imageshack.us/i/balancer1.jpg/][IMG]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1728/balancer1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Bad:
This one is already grinding against the timing cover.
[URL=http://img222.imageshack.us/i/balancer3.jpg/][IMG]http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/307/balancer3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Posted on: 2009/11/25 7:24

JonnyAngle Re: Timing on the '86
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

Thanks, Pacer. I'll have to check it out.
Posted on: 2009/11/26 1:57

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good advice by pacer to check the HB. I posted a thread in the beginning of the summer on changing it.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/11/26 3:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.