Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
214 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Rat Motor
GM production big block engines were known as Rat motors.

'W' Series:

5.7L 348ci - 1958 thru 1964
6.7L 409ci - 1961 thru 1965
7.0L 427ci (Z11...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

JonnyAngle Cam quest
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

I'm working on camquest by comp cams to play around with to see what kind of cam to possibly look into. I have an 86 with the cast iron heads and an lt1 intake. The only questions that I have is what is the total induction airflow that I have? Or how do I find out?
Posted on: 2009/11/29 19:04

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Josh Re: Cam quest
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I don't know what Cam Quest will tell you, but I'm sure there are folks here that could recommend a good/great cam for you. Do you have any idea what kind of maximum lift the heads will tolerate before pushing the retainers into the valve guide? I'm sure Cam Quest doesn't take into account that type of information, and will most likely recommend a cam that has too much lift for the head to tolerate.

I would think something along the lines of a CC 305, hotcam, etc...

Depending on your preferences, you could probably get into the mid 230's for duration and still be well within a competent tuners ability to make it work. I don't know that you'll be able to find an off the shelf cam with that much duration and low enough lift to work with your heads, but you might be able to compensate for that with a lower rocker ratio.

I ran an XFI cam that was 230/236, .57X in my L98 when I had a converted LT1 intake and liked it.

As far as figuring out induction air flow in the sense that Cam Quest is looking for, I don't know. I would maybe call comp cams and ask them.
Posted on: 2009/11/29 19:34

anesthes Re: Cam quest
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

JonnyAngle wrote:
I'm working on camquest by comp cams to play around with to see what kind of cam to possibly look into. I have an 86 with the cast iron heads and an lt1 intake. The only questions that I have is what is the total induction airflow that I have? Or how do I find out?

Base it on the throttle body size. Google will answer the flow numbers for almost every throttle body on the planet.

Camquest works a lot better than the guys on the forum, because it does thousands of calculations and develops a list based on the current comp cams line up.

Desktop dyno is usefull too, because you can set a range of duration, lift, and compression ratios and have it create 10 for example graphs on the ranges, with a bias towards torque or power and you can select which combo works best for your driving conditions.

There is too many guys on the forum with 10k engines that should run 10s turning 12s, so I'd be careful what sort of advice you get.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/11/29 20:00

cuisinartvette Re: Cam quest
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

LOL.

Those cam programs are a bit optimistic butyoull get a general idea of what to expect. More info you have the better.
Bet Joe is right concerning the limit of the TB is the accurate way (more than likely). What does it go, 650 cfm or so? (someone correct this)Heads go about 19x+-/150 or so
Posted on: 2009/11/30 15:08

JonnyAngle Re: Cam quest
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

What I want to get out of cam quest is to see how steep the torque curve drops off with different cams. It is more of a learning experience for me. Once it is time to pull the trigger I will seek the advice of the gurus and compare it to my findings.
Posted on: 2009/11/30 22:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.