Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
237 user(s) are online (199 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NHMS
New Hampshire Motor Speedway. This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway from now on. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bigmoe Revised Optispark started on late 94 models??
Senior Guru
Manitoba
118 Posts

I was reading a post on another forum about the differences between 94's, 95's and 96's. Someone mentioned, of course, that the 95/96 models had the revised Optispark. Someone else chimed in that the later built 94's also got the revised Opti. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know when the actual switch took place? Got me wondering if my Jun/94 built 94 has revised or not. I could just look for the tell tale vacuum line but the car is out of reach to me until spring.
Posted on: 2009/12/23 1:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

tjpreul Re: Revised Optispark started on late 94 models??
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Here is an article that may help. It says they switched the B-body in '94.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/ ... ding_modifying/index.html
Posted on: 2009/12/23 1:55

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

bigmoe Re: Revised Optispark started on late 94 models??
Senior Guru
Manitoba
118 Posts

That's a good article about the Opti. I'm not real worried about whatever I have at this point but eventual wear or a leaky water pump will lead to my needing to address my Opti options. At some point I'll likely replace it and modify the cap so it's vacuum vented like the 95/96 style. My recently acquired 94 only has 34,000 easy fair weather miles on the odo. I'll look in the spring to see if there's a vacuum line running to it or not. I suspect not.
Posted on: 2009/12/23 3:30

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Revised Optispark started on late 94 models??
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

94 Corvettes had the first type. You will know if there is a vac line, it goes into the side of the intake duct between the MAF and the throttle body. Corvettes didnt get the newer design til the 95 model.

As some sort of indication as to just how much of a fable the optispark has going for it, my 94 did over 160,000 miles on its original one and it was still working fine. I replaced the cap and rotor in it once about about 95,000 miles, but it made no difference cause the one that was in there was still working fine. This was an original 94 unit with no venting.
Posted on: 2009/12/23 10:37

Matatk Re: Revised Optispark started on late 94 models??
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I think it's a bit more work/cost to update your early opti to a later one. Here are a couple links, one how to upgrade an early unit with the air hose kit, and one showing the cost of upgrading to a later model. You could always just buy an MSD that includes the fresh air kit.

Early opti modification:
http://corvettefever.automotive.com/11907/16758/index.html

Upgrade kit:
http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/merc ... -NATLT1VOU&Category_Code=

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/12/23 14:10

BillH Re: Revised Optispark started on late 94 models??
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Moe, you have a bunch of miles left, a bunch.
Just check for w/p leaks when you check your oil, that's the only real problem that can happen.
There are't any wear concerns like Case said.

I've never been able to verify the 94 1/2 thing on the chance. Some aftermarket manufacturers state this but I've never seen it confirmed.
The early opti will only have the wiring harness coming out of the housing, no vent lines.
You can install a vent but it needs to be in the housing, not the cap and to do it right you should pull the opti. If you ever change to a MSD, their early model has the vent built in and gets teed into a vacuum line.
The vents won't help much if a waterpump fails.
The 95& up has a different drive system but, if you're not racing, the 92-94 splined drive will run forever.

IMO, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Posted on: 2009/12/23 14:24

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I think it's a bit more work/cost to update your early opti to a later one.
Matthew

Yea, I think it's a lot of work and a bunch of money with not much benifit for the amount of $$$ and time. And you're putting a GM unit back on that still has a paper gasket.

Yea, just put on the MSD and be done with it.

BUT, in Moe's case, just drive the car and worry about this when you hit 100k.
Posted on: 2009/12/23 14:34

bigmoe Re: Revised Optispark started on late 94 models??
Senior Guru
Manitoba
118 Posts

Ya I think you're right I probably have nothing to worry about. Hopefully I won't be all paranoid about the thing going sour on me. At some point I might replace it just for the peace of mind. When the time comes to replace it I'll probably buy an original style and vent it myself as per the article Matatk referenced above or I may go aftermarket depending on cost.
Posted on: 2009/12/23 14:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

There's about a $200 difference from the GM to The MSD. Less if you buy the vent kit. And you still get the paper gasket where the MSD is O-ringed (cap to housing). If you plan to keep the car, the MSD is worth it. The MSD is ust built better.
I had no problem justifing the extra $200 when I did mine.

But, yea, don't worry about it, just enjoy the car.
Posted on: 2009/12/23 14:55

tjpreul Re: Revised Optispark started on late 94 models??
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I am pretty sure mine had the original on it, with 140K. The owner never mentioned replacing it, but did put on a new waterpump. The other one starting leaking. On my distributor, electrode #2 was corroded off. There was moisture inside, but the car ran ok. Better when it was warm (probably because of #2 electrode). I did go with the MSD, and considered revising to 95-96. It is a costly update.
Posted on: 2009/12/23 16:06

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
I am pretty sure mine had the original on it, with 140K. The owner never mentioned replacing it, but did put on a new waterpump. The other one starting leaking. On my distributor, electrode #2 was corroded off. There was moisture inside, but the car ran ok. Better when it was warm (probably because of #2 electrode). I did go with the MSD, and considered revising to 95-96. It is a costly update.

Yea, the W/P on my 92 was the end of my opti. The thing still ran 10,000 mi. after the pump failure. The bearing balls fell out on the bench when I took it off, and the damn thing still ran. Luv the MSD.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0539.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/12/23 16:23

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Revised Optispark started on late 94 models??
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I think it's a bit more work/cost to update your early opti to a later one. Here are a couple links, one how to upgrade an early unit with the air hose kit, and one showing the cost of upgrading to a later model. You could always just buy an MSD that includes the fresh air kit.

Early opti modification:
http://corvettefever.automotive.com/11907/16758/index.html

Upgrade kit:
http://www.nookandtranny.com/mm5/merc ... -NATLT1VOU&Category_Code=

Matthew

There is, tons of work, and its totally pointless. The MSD suggestion is very good, however not til the exsisting unit REQUIRES replacement!!
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Moe, you have a bunch of miles left, a bunch.
Just check for w/p leaks when you check your oil, that's the only real problem that can happen.
There are't any wear concerns like Case said.

I've never been able to verify the 94 1/2 thing on the chance. Some aftermarket manufacturers state this but I've never seen it confirmed.
The early opti will only have the wiring harness coming out of the housing, no vent lines.
You can install a vent but it needs to be in the housing, not the cap and to do it right you should pull the opti. If you ever change to a MSD, their early model has the vent built in and gets teed into a vacuum line.
The vents won't help much if a waterpump fails.
The 95& up has a different drive system but, if you're not racing, the 92-94 splined drive will run forever.

IMO, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Exactly right Bill, i dont think the vent will do anything period. Ive heard of just as many version 2s fail as version 1s. When tested, i would be prepared to bet a very vast majority of the "failed Optispark distributors" are probably perfectly fine and nothing a new cap and rotor wouldnt fix.

As for the 94 1/2, no such animal that im aware of. F and B body cars got the newer version 2 in 1994 models, Corvettes didnt get it til they went into the 1995 model. I havent seen anything ever to contradict that.

Quote:

BillH wrote:
There's about a $200 difference from the GM to The MSD. Less if you buy the vent kit. And you still get the paper gasket where the MSD is O-ringed (cap to housing). If you plan to keep the car, the MSD is worth it. The MSD is ust built better.
I had no problem justifing the extra $200 when I did mine.

But, yea, don't worry about it, just enjoy the car.

Damn straight. I would buy the MSD if it was $1,000 more, cause its a better built part. Not saying the OEM unit is not a good part, cause it certainly is, but the MSD is substantially better.

It wont make the car perform better or go faster, but it is certainly an upgrade for WHEN THE TIME COMES TO REPLACE A WORN OR FAILED DISTRIBUTOR and not before that time. No sense throwing away good parts!!!
Posted on: 2009/12/23 18:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.