Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
172 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C1
Abbreviation for the 1st generation of Corvettes built from 1953-1962....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

c3corvette77 Fuel Pressure fluctuates.....big time...
Guru Newb
Schaumburg Illinois
17 Posts

Trying to get an aswer to this is proving to be tougher than it should be. I have a 77 with a relatively mild 355. 750 Holley double pumper, mild cam and a few other bits. The guy that built the engine put a Victor race pump on it and it needs a regulater, which is present. The thing is, at idle, the fuel pressure swings like crazy, from about 3 or 4 psi up to about 11 or maybe 12. no fuel is coming out the bowl vents or anything like that and the car runs fine but does anyone know what i can do to settle this down? The car is using the stock fuel lines.
Posted on: 2010/2/7 22:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Durango_Boy Re: Fuel Pressure fluctuates.....big time...
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

What kind of fuel pressure regulator is it? Some of the cheaper ones are actually worse than not having one at all.

Also, do you have the stock return line set up? Is the fuel filler cap still stock? Is the stock vapor canister and vacuum lines still hooked up?

Post pics of your car. I've also spent some time in Schaumburg when I made my yearly trips to Chicago.
Posted on: 2010/2/7 22:26

Matatk Re: Fuel Pressure fluctuates.....big time...
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

How/where are you measuring FP from? Did you install the new regulator yet? Honestly I'm not too familiar with the race pump you have, but I don't see the need for it on a mild build. Do you have the stock pump to swap out?

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/2/7 23:24

c3corvette77 Re: Fuel Pressure fluctuates.....big time...
Guru Newb
Schaumburg Illinois
17 Posts

Hey DB. I've spoken to you lots on the "other" forum. The bypass is a Barry Grant and it's new last summer. The car has no emissions other than cats. Car has stock pressure and return lines. This wasn't a problem for a while then the bypass went bad and I replaced it as i didn't know what was on there, cheap and cheesy or not. I'm measuring the pressure right at the carb just before the primary bowl feed. The car runs fine, this is just one of those annoying why is it doing tbhis things....
Posted on: 2010/2/8 2:12

cuisinartvette Re: Fuel Pressure fluctuates.....big time...
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Why did he put such a a big pump on it, 6 lb carter will be more than adequate and doesnt need a reg.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 3:44

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

c3corvette77 wrote:
Hey DB. I've spoken to you lots on the "other" forum. The bypass is a Barry Grant and it's new last summer. The car has no emissions other than cats. Car has stock pressure and return lines. This wasn't a problem for a while then the bypass went bad and I replaced it as i didn't know what was on there, cheap and cheesy or not. I'm measuring the pressure right at the carb just before the primary bowl feed. The car runs fine, this is just one of those annoying why is it doing tbhis things....

If the pressure is fluctuating I would assume the regulator is just not working properly. It also might be a false reading.

Something I would try, as someone else mentioned...a stock replacement fuel pump with no pressure regulator.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 3:55

Guru Newb
Schaumburg Illinois
17 Posts

yeah, god knows why the pump is so huge, got me. what pump can i run and still use the return line and such?
Posted on: 2010/2/8 4:19

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

c3corvette77 wrote:
yeah, god knows why the pump is so huge, got me. what pump can i run and still use the return line and such?

Assuming the lines weren't changed, stock mechanical pumps will connect right up to everything.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 9:56

pbcanney Re: Fuel Pressure fluctuates.....big time...
Guru Newb
2 Posts

Quote:

c3corvette77 wrote:
Trying to get an aswer to this is proving to be tougher than it should be. I have a 77 with a relatively mild 355. 750 Holley double pumper, mild cam and a few other bits. The guy that built the engine put a Victor race pump on it and it needs a regulater, which is present. The thing is, at idle, the fuel pressure swings like crazy, from about 3 or 4 psi up to about 11 or maybe 12. no fuel is coming out the bowl vents or anything like that and the car runs fine but does anyone know what i can do to settle this down? The car is using the stock fuel lines.

I had this concern as well when I changed from an electric back to mechanical. From what I understand this is actually normal for a non fluid damped pressure gauge.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 15:28

Guru Newb
Schaumburg Illinois
17 Posts

I have an old fluid damped gage. I might stick it in there and see what happens...
Posted on: 2010/2/8 22:18

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.