Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
290 user(s) are online (248 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Horn
A rather boring honk, but it should be loud and clear.

It should work with key on or off....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Mekanic getting ready for the clutch
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Well, I finally got a decent job again, been saving my money, and have finally ordered my flywheel (single mass steel Spec with 8k miles on it)

Now I just need the rest of the chit, and wanted to find out from my Guru's some opinions on parts.

I need a clutch and PP, and I'm leaning tword Carolina Clutch stage 2.

The Spec clutches have a high failure rate in the LS world, and the centerforce is too damn expensive, so... thoughts?

Also need Hydraulics. There was a guy on the other site who got both master and slave from Advanced, and they were cast! $150 for the pair, may go check mine out.

Gonna do the rear main while I'm in there.. stupid not to IMHO.

Thinking about a short throw shifter while I have the tranny out.

I have a new reverse switch getting installed as well while I'm in there.

The only other thing I need is a set of Banski trailing arms, some rear brake pads and a general tune up and she will back at full strength.
Posted on: 2010/3/10 5:44

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: getting ready for the clutch
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Carolina clutch USED to resell SPEC.

I would go with McLeod or RAM. Even Zoom is ok. I see no real reason to go stage 2 unless you race or plan for huge power upgrades. A stock clutch will hold the power and won't harm drivability.

I had a SPEC before... never again... serious fitment problems and horrid customer service. I am shocked they are still in business.

I got a slave from NAPA, it was case, made in Taiwan. Nice piece and no problems after 6+ months.

If you do a short throw shifter, get the Hurst. It's the best for the street.
Posted on: 2010/3/10 6:22

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Mekanic Re: getting ready for the clutch
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I thought with Mcloud or RAM you had to convert to push type?

Stage 2 from carolina is only for up to 400lb ft

good to know on the slave

I agree 100% on the hurst. The problem is finding one since they were bought out by B&M and they discontinued it
Posted on: 2010/3/10 6:25

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

check ebay. I heard that Chris (the designer) had a few left.

hm... stage 2 only good to 400 lb ft? that ain't worth shit, really. The stock LT4 puts out 350 or so, so why not stay with stock and keep drivability.

Also, get the flywheel MATCH BALANCED. You will thank me.
Posted on: 2010/3/10 6:27

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I would stay with stock, but since I'm going SM on the flywheel I want a sprung hub to reduce chatter a bit.

Looked on RAM's site, they have a stock replacement (unsprung) then the Powergrip HD which is for up to 600HP ($510) which is overkill imho..

Mcleod's site is dead, their ebay store has a couple twin disk kits ($1200..not happenin lol)

This is the kit I was looking at... I like the specs, I was off, its rated for 450hp http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowIte ... mance%20Clutch%20Kit.aspx

But the PP looks kinda chintzy.

Oh, and match balancing for sure. I'm gonna call around to machine shops the next few days to get prices.

EDIT: I looked at the PP for the RAM Powergrip HD, and its the same PP that carolina shows for the stage 2, different disk tho..
Posted on: 2010/3/10 6:35

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

flywheel got here today.

its puuurdy.
Posted on: 2010/3/10 18:56

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

You can use an oem stock camaro lt1 friction disk with the corvette pressure plate. Only valeo makes the pressure plate. Period!
Posted on: 2010/3/10 19:05

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
You can use an oem stock camaro lt1 friction disk with the corvette pressure plate. Only valeo makes the pressure plate. Period!

Really? So all these pretty pressure plates I see on Spec's site and the "lightweight" option they have and all that is just BS?

Damn.. good info. I'm off to check prices at autozone/napa lol
Posted on: 2010/3/10 19:09

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Searched autozone/advanced/napa/rockauto

I can't seem to get the pressure plate alone. I have to buy it as a kit with the clutch disk.

So with that said, it's $260 for the pressure plate and stock clutch disk from Autozone.

A stock camaro disk is about $100. Centerforce about $150

so say $360-$410 going that route, and having a stock corvette disk laying around. That I could probably sell for $100 shipped, recouping a bit

Or $460 for a Ram from rockauto.

Unless Andy Almighty knows where one could get a pressure plate all by itself...
Posted on: 2010/3/10 19:31

pr0zac Re: getting ready for the clutch
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i have a fidanza flywheel and a carolina stage 3. that thing BITES. it will hold anything you throw at it but i would like something a little less abrasive. its either on or off. 12lb flywheel isn't much fun trying to drag race cause it would bog even with a 2 step limiter unless you really revved it up. the camaro thing is not a direct bolt in affair.. it needs to be machined down first.
Posted on: 2010/3/10 20:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I need to clarify: the flywheel needs to be machined down .090 from Camaro specifications - if not already done!

Check with the prior owner of the flywheel and determine if it was cut down for a Vette yet or not, or, if it was cut for reuse. You will need to compensate for any prior cuts.

I have one of those aluminum flywheels... hated the damned thing. too light and not balanced at all. Mine vibrated at 4300 rpm like crazy.
Posted on: 2010/3/11 15:48

anesthes Re: getting ready for the clutch
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:
Searched autozone/advanced/napa/rockauto

I can't seem to get the pressure plate alone. I have to buy it as a kit with the clutch disk.

So with that said, it's $260 for the pressure plate and stock clutch disk from Autozone.

A stock camaro disk is about $100. Centerforce about $150

so say $360-$410 going that route, and having a stock corvette disk laying around. That I could probably sell for $100 shipped, recouping a bit

Or $460 for a Ram from rockauto.

Unless Andy Almighty knows where one could get a pressure plate all by itself...

Andy almighty probably doesn't buy as many clutches as I used to

If you call Fort Wayne clutch and driveline, ask for Scott.
When I had the C4, I had him make me up a dual friction with an unsprung hub. I think it was like $180 for the pressure plate and disc.

I've used his clutches behind very powerful supercharged engines, strip cars, etc. Never a problem. Lot cheaper than RAM or anyone else.

I don't like cutting .090" out of a OEM flywheel because of risk of it warping or exploding, but so far nobody has had one fail so I guess it's ok. When I had my C4, I ran a normal 4+3/sbc flywheel, and ran a ZR1 pivot stud I got from CentralCoaster to make up for the geometry change.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2010/3/11 17:55

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Thanks for the info Joe, I'll give them a call.

I guess I wasn't very clear, my new flywheel is not a camaro piece, its a single mass steel spec. SC05S, made for my vette.
Posted on: 2010/3/11 19:02

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:

I don't like cutting .090" out of a OEM flywheel because of risk of it warping or exploding, but so far nobody has had one fail so I guess it's ok. When I had my C4, I ran a normal 4+3/sbc flywheel, and ran a ZR1 pivot stud I got from CentralCoaster to make up for the geometry change.

-- Joe

thanks because there isn't many people that have done it and if you are too cheap to do it correctly they probably don't have much funds kicking around for mods
Posted on: 2010/3/11 21:08

BrianCunningham Re: getting ready for the clutch
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:...
Mcleod's site is dead, their ebay store has a couple twin disk kits ($1200..not happenin lol)

glad I got mine when I did

though you really don't need one unless your putting down some serious power.
Posted on: 2010/3/11 22:07

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Yeah, serious power isn't in store for my vette, I still want her to be streetable/road trippable, 450whp is about the highest I'd go on it.

My rustang is my stupid power car, and its getting an auto lol
Posted on: 2010/3/12 0:34

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Also, anyone know off hand how many quarts of fluid the ZF6 takes, and how many bottles o clutch fluid I need?
Posted on: 2010/3/12 0:38

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i am pretty sure its 2.2 quarts
Posted on: 2010/3/12 1:39

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

cool. I'll pick that up from the stealership this weekend.

Gonna go order the master and slave from Advanced tomorrow. From their online pics and such they are cast pieces with lifetime warranty's.

If they aren't when I pick them up... then I wont pick them up lol
Posted on: 2010/3/12 2:48

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Still getting parts together. Have a question tho..

Any tips on bleeding the clutch hydraulics?

I know the method in the FSM, and I've also heard the only good way is to reverse bleed with a phoenix bleeder

anyone give me some instructions.
Posted on: 2010/3/17 1:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.