Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
272 user(s) are online (235 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Shark
Any Corvette from model year 1968 to 1982 is loosely referred to as a Shark. Stemming from the Mako concepts and a general acceptance that the C3 lo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

turbotim23 a o Anyone put in the a o engineering forced air induction system, need advice on cutting?
Guru Newb
24 Posts

Hi bought a used a o engineering forced air induction system[fresh air system].anyone done this before? I need advice on where and how you cut to put it in.Where did you cut Under the hood bracing and between the hood hinges? Did you cut the whole metal area between hood hinges out? Did you cut right next to hinge? Did you completely remove the v shaped metal bar below and between hinges? I'd like to keep it as clean as possible so it looks nice.What did you use to cut bumper reinforcement,A right angle drill? there's only 1 1/2" for drill to fit. Thanks Tim
Posted on: 2010/3/11 21:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: a o Anyone put in the a o engineering forced air induction system, need advice on cutting?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

never even heard of that one...

pics?
Posted on: 2010/3/12 4:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster Re: a o Anyone put in the a o engineering forced air induction system, need advice on cutting?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

It's the one that feeds it through the license plate cover.
Posted on: 2010/3/12 4:55

turbotim23 Re: a o Anyone put in the a o engineering forced air induction system, need advice on cutting?
Guru Newb
24 Posts

Posted on: 2010/3/12 16:44

shakedown067 Re: a o Anyone put in the a o engineering forced air induction system, need advice on cutting?
Senior Guru
119 Posts

I tried to find the link from harbor freight, but I used a cutting drill bit. Basically acted like a jig saw, but can work in the smaller area. I used it to cut out the plastic bumper up front, then used a sheetrock cutter to cutout the foam, then used the drill bit again to cut out the fiberglass. I removed the air intake and cut the fiberglass from inside the engine bay.

Of course my hole is MUCH bigger than you'll need to cut yours I do believe. I made a custom one...much cheaper.
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/3/12 18:29

BrianCunningham Re: a o Anyone put in the a o engineering forced air induction system, need advice on cutting?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I did the elcheapo route

My plate covers it when I drive it on the road

2 two inch holes on the plastic part of the bumper
No holes in the steel

The hole in the white energy absorber is actually factory.

Photobucket
Posted on: 2010/3/12 23:45

turbotim23 Re: a o Anyone put in the a o engineering forced air induction system, need advice on cutting?
Guru Newb
24 Posts

The forced air induction setup uses a 5 inch hose from behind the air duct in licence plate to air cleaner lid.So you need that sized hole cut in bumper reinforcement. It has a new air cleaner lid that angles down lower behind bumper reinforcement. because of the way it's angled you have to cut a lot of the sheetmetal between hood hinges to get it to fall in behind bumper reinforcement. It's scary cutting perfectly good sheetmetal, knowing if you don't get it right the first time you won't be able to put it back again.I think I have it figured out . Tring to leave as much metal there as possible and have it look clean when done. Thanks Tim
Posted on: 2010/3/13 18:07

LD85 Re: a o Anyone put in the a o engineering forced air induction system, need advice on cutting?
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Be careful there are wires at the bottom of the bumper, dont cut into them.

[IMG]http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/LAPCO/Vette/IMG_0022.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/3/16 19:40

Guru Newb
24 Posts

LD85 I gave up on finding anyone who messed with this system. I have figured some of it out. I cut the top sheet metal apx 2" down between hood hinges,just the top straight bar. I haven't touched the v bar below it yet that has the wire you talked about. I also notched the radiator cover 1 1/2" on bottom in center, so AO air cleaner lid will sit flush. I also cut licence plate hole open to bumper reinforcement but haven't cut reinforcement hole yet. I was hoping not to have to cut the v bar but after getting cleaner lid to sit flush I see I'm going to have to completely cut sheet metal out between hood hinges. I was told by Tabor corvette parts that they tore a corvette apart for parts with a AO eng. ram air kit on it. It had a lot of cracks around the 5" hole in plastic bumper reinforcement. Have you had any probem in that area? They put metal around the 5" hole and fiberglassed around it in a later car they put the AO eng. ram air kit in. thanks Tim
Posted on: 2010/3/20 16:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.