Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
328 user(s) are online (283 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH2004R
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.74
2nd Gear: 1.57
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.67

Reverse: 2.06

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

wilsonbh Dr Don Modifications to the stock BOSE Head Unit
Guru Newb
17 Posts

I'm getting close to sending my BOSE head unit to Dr Don for a modification. I want the CDR capability but man! $200 to play CDRs sounds extreme. Also, for another $100, they will disable the Cassette and install a jack for input of external devices such as MP3 players/IPODs.

My question is has anyone had this MP3 mod done to their Cassette player? I'd like to find out about it. I hate to lose the Cassette capability even though I almost never use that part of the radio.

Feedback appreciated.....

Billy
Posted on: 2008/1/11 10:04

toptechx6 RE:Dr Don Modifications to the stock BOSE Head Unit
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Sorry I can't help on the MP3 mod, but Dr. Don did do the CDR upgrade to my head unit at the same time he repaired the CD & cassette operation.
He also repaired the amps in my front speakers when they started popping at a later date. Quick turn around both times and complete satisfaction with the service.
Loss of the cassette player in exchange for playing MP3 will come down to your call, but would trust the doc to do it with no hesitation.
Posted on: 2008/1/11 12:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Klaus RE:Dr Don Modifications to the stock BOSE Head Unit
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

The '94 won't play CD-Rs? My '96 plays them just fine.
Posted on: 2008/1/11 13:12

2008 Machine Silver Coupe
LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

j3studio RE:Dr Don Modifications to the stock BOSE Head Unit
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

They have a reputation for doing great work, but I don't have any relevant input for your decision ...
Posted on: 2008/1/11 13:19

tobijohn RE:Dr Don Modifications to the stock BOSE Head Unit
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

If you're going to be using an mp3 player then why bother with making the unit CDR compatible? It's a snap to rip the tunes off your CDs and convert them to mp3s. I can fit 400 songs on a 1GB iPod shuffle. And as for disabling the cassette, why not get the $15 cassette adapter that allows you to play mp3 players through the existing Bose system? That's what I've done and honestly, if you're already OK with the Bose sound, then you'll be fine with this setup. Personally, I think it sounds great and the $285 you save could be spent on something to make the car go faster... :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/1/11 22:03

AIRFOIL FREE!

bogus RE:Dr Don Modifications to the stock BOSE Head Unit
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
The '94 won't play CD-Rs? My '96 plays them just fine.

it't hit and miss in the earlier CD players.
Posted on: 2008/1/12 5:36

tobijohn RE:Dr Don Modifications to the stock BOSE Head Unit
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

If you're just really hooked on CDs, another option is to install a six disk CD player. I installed one in a previous C4 behind the passenger seat. The particular model I had was the RF modulator type that "broadcast" to an unused FM frequency. This particular model spliced into the antenna cable and the fidelity was excellent (unlike some of the mp3 RF modulators that do not have a hard wire connection to the antenna line). All the wires you need to access are in the cargo bin behind the passenger seat and can be reached by existing cutouts already there. All you have to do is pull back the carpet a bit and pass the wires through. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm using an Ipod now but I still have the CD player and if you're interested, you can have it for a little more than a song...
Posted on: 2008/1/12 22:03

AIRFOIL FREE!

wilsonbh RE:Dr Don Modifications to the stock BOSE Head Unit
Guru Newb
17 Posts

Quote:
If you're just really hooked on CDs, another option is to install a six disk CD player. I installed one in a previous C4 behind the passenger seat. The particular model I had was the RF modulator type that "broadcast" to an unused FM frequency. This particular model spliced into the antenna cable and the fidelity was excellent (unlike some of the mp3 RF modulators that do not have a hard wire connection to the antenna line). All the wires you need to access are in the cargo bin behind the passenger seat and can be reached by existing cutouts already there. All you have to do is pull back the carpet a bit and pass the wires through. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm using an Ipod now but I still have the CD player and if you're interested, you can have it for a little more than a song...

I've taken some advice from the forum and have installed the cassette feeder with IPOD lead for playback. It works great and I think I'll be happy living with this setup. Lots of money saved.....

Billy
Posted on: 2008/1/14 10:19

captmike13 RE:Dr Don Modifications to the stock BOSE Head Unit
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

We tried the tape adapter. Now we use the fm transmitter. Both work well for us. We get allot more tunes on the IPOD. Our 85 has the bose.

Mike
Posted on: 2008/1/16 7:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.