Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
251 user(s) are online (178 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NCM
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

cuisinartvette Understanding VATS (90)
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Well, it happened today..Left a local forum cruise in and headed over to the local PD to file a report for an accident I had the prior day.

Ive seen other VATS threads over the years but never opened them as Ive never had an issue and avoid dealing with my weakspot, which is anything with wires under the dash.

Car wouldnt crank, nothing. Noticed ALL the lights in the DIC came on when key went to "on" position, dont recall seeing that ever.

ANyway Im understanding that for every time I turn the key and trying to start it the computer waits 4 minutes before allowing the starter to crank.

Wound up walking my sorry butt down the road, sat down and had lunch, came back and she fired right up. Got it back home parked it, shut it off and it restarted .

Weird...NOW. I did try the MacGuyver bit, did the door lock with my key to reset (guess I tried the ign too may times and the timer was still running), disconnected the battery, checked key pellet for dirt, even rubbed the key with a plastic bag to create static which Ive heard work (it didnt).

THis sounds intermittent which bothers me. I could go to MAM and buy a bypass but it would be nice to keep the system working.

The starter relay, CCM and what else is involved here?
Relying on you guys to educate me about the system and what VATS is tied to. Dont need a repeat of this.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 4:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

SpectatorRacing RE:Understanding VATS (90)
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I have a Painlessperformance VATS delete system that I bought from Summit (I think?) years ago and never used - I had it removed from my PROM instead. I think it's for all years. If you want to try it I'll send it for shipping cost...
Posted on: 2008/1/13 6:55

bogus RE:Understanding VATS (90)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It has happened to me, too... the key, so to speak, is waiting out the 4 minutes.

The 1990-1996 system uses the CCM. It is looking for the chip rating. Once it gets that, it sends and ok to the ECM and fires some starter relay thing.

If you want to avoid a future problem, you can put a resistor on the circuit to emulate the key. Use a DVM to get the resistance.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 7:09

cuisinartvette RE:Understanding VATS (90)
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Spectator. that would be great. ANy way I could hook a toggle to it so I could turn it on/off? Not really worried about the car getting stolen...
Let me know how much..where to send
Is it an easy install?

Where is the starter relay on this car anyway just in case?
Posted on: 2008/1/13 7:17

pianoguy RE:Understanding VATS (90)
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I lucked out with my '96 - had it happen to me twice last summer, but I have 2 sets of keys, and switched to the other set, and no problems after that.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 14:53

SpectatorRacing RE:Understanding VATS (90)
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

PM sent, I'll ship it over and you can try it.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 15:13

BillH RE:Understanding VATS (90)
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

In addition to not enabling the starter relay, VATS won't allow the injectors to fire either.
This happened on my 92 last month.
Cuisinart, the starter relay on a 92 is under the instrument panel, driver's side, left of the steering column, maybe your 90's this way.
Did you pull codes after this happened? On the 92, I got code 51 in mod 9 "pass key error". There's also codes 52 & 53. 1990 codes are probably different.

I have to wonder on waiting 4 minutes and trying a restart. I tried this and got nothing. NOTE: every time you try start the car, you restart the timer.
I let mine sit for 1/2 hour and it fired right up.
I have to wonder if the timers run a little longer than stated on the manuals.

At least the VATS connector ( on the 92) is a separate one, so it will be easier to work on. ( on the 92, it's a 2 position connector, lower steering column, with a purple/white and a white/black wire.
Posted on: 2008/1/13 15:18

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.