Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
276 user(s) are online (222 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
1994-1996, the 4L60 with Electronic Control. From what I have seen, it seems a bit more durable....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bigmoe Do high flow cats make any sound difference?
Senior Guru
Manitoba
118 Posts

My goal is to get a bit more sound out of my LT1's exhaust but not too much. I heard a set of Corsa cat back(Sports)on an LT1 and was surprised that it's louder than I had hoped for. I bought an x-pipe and haven't installed it yet but from what I understand the x-pipe adds only a small amount of volume. I'm searching for an inbetween. Wondering about x-pipe with high flow cats and stock LT1 mufflers? Do high flow cats add volume??
Posted on: 2010/6/26 19:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Do high flow cats make any sound difference?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

An x-pipe won't do jack to ADD noise. If anything, it will drop noise a bit!

Under what condition did you feel the Corsa was too loud? The Corsa has a great WOT rip, and a lovely idle.

It sounds to me like you want a microscopic increase... and I don't know what to suggest. anything you do will make it really loud or will increase cabin resonance to a point that will make your ears bleed.
Posted on: 2010/6/26 22:47

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

89Vette Re: Do high flow cats make any sound difference?
Senior Guru
135 Posts

If the X-pipe will replace your center resonator, then it will add volume. If you remove the resonator, it will add volume. Any new cats that flow (significantly) more than the OEM CATS will add volume.

Anything that improves flow usually adds volume. And, more specifically to your question, I've put hiflow CATS on 3 vehciles. All 3 got somewhat louder. One was a family car (Jeep) and I felt dumb for doing it. That's because it wasn't factory quiet for the wife anymore.

The change won't be huge. It will be more subtle. Possibly just what you're looking for.
Posted on: 2010/6/27 2:53

jhammons01 Re: Do high flow cats make any sound difference?
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

The engineer at Magnaflow chuckled candidly when I asked this question......He said "All cats are high flow, but don't tell anyone"

That one had me scratching my head...not because what he said wasn't plausible, rather, why is he the only one that seems to openly admit this??
Posted on: 2010/6/27 18:33

bigmoe Re: Do high flow cats make any sound difference?
Senior Guru
Manitoba
118 Posts

Bogus, the stock exhaust is too quiet - not befitting for the look and power of the vehicle. The Corsa Sport sounded okay but a bit too loud for my liking. Looking for something inbetween. The car is just a fair weather cruiser for my wife and I (love to tromp it once in a while too). Too bad Corsa doesn't make the Touring edition for the LT1.
I've heard replacing the resonator with an x-pipe does add sound but very little. I've also heard long tubes headers, x-pipe and stock LT1 mufflers sound very nice and not as loud as the Corsa Sport and keeping the LT1 mufflers means having no drone. This may be the way to go but it seems like a lot of $ to spend just to get a nicer sound though. I plan to do something but I've got to figure out what.
Posted on: 2010/6/27 23:12

BrianCunningham Re: Do high flow cats make any sound difference?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Well I knew someone in MI who had the same exhaust as mine, only he gutted the cats.

It was VERY LOUD

Don't know about high flow cats.
Posted on: 2010/6/27 23:26

WW7 Re: Do high flow cats make any sound difference?
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

I went from a stock 89 convertor to a Magnflow which is suppose to be 30% better flow, and the loudness went up quite a bit..Maybe 30%.It was pretty easy for me to tell since I have no precats and no mufflers,just the one convertor.I like it..WW
Posted on: 2010/6/28 13:32

bigmoe Re: Do high flow cats make any sound difference?
Senior Guru
Manitoba
118 Posts

Nobodys mentioned shorty headers as an option to get better sound out of my exhaust. Shorties would bolt right up to my stock exhaust wouldn't they? Any idea how they would sound with stock exhaust? Any disadvantage to shorties?
Posted on: 2010/6/29 19:00

bogus Re: Do high flow cats make any sound difference?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

bigmoe wrote:
Bogus, the stock exhaust is too quiet - not befitting for the look and power of the vehicle. The Corsa Sport sounded okay but a bit too loud for my liking. Looking for something inbetween. The car is just a fair weather cruiser for my wife and I (love to tromp it once in a while too). Too bad Corsa doesn't make the Touring edition for the LT1.
I've heard replacing the resonator with an x-pipe does add sound but very little. I've also heard long tubes headers, x-pipe and stock LT1 mufflers sound very nice and not as loud as the Corsa Sport and keeping the LT1 mufflers means having no drone. This may be the way to go but it seems like a lot of $ to spend just to get a nicer sound though. I plan to do something but I've got to figure out what.

Corsa Sport? Did you hear them on a C5 or C6? There is only one version for the C4... and it is sweet, as far as I am concerned.
Posted on: 2010/6/29 19:57

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.