Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
285 user(s) are online (255 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Trae1976 Removable Rear Window Conversion
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Has anyone here installed an early C3 removable rear window into a '73-'77?

At the Corvette Expo this past weekend, I picked up a good used rear window and frame, but I don't yet have anything else to go with it. Heck, I still don't know everything I'm going to need.

Any tips or recommendations on the conversion would be greatly appreciated!
Posted on: 2010/3/30 14:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

tjpreul Re: Removable Rear Window Conversion
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I believe Curt and DB have done this, if you need any leads.
Posted on: 2010/3/30 15:45

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Trae1976 Re: Removable Rear Window Conversion
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
I believe Curt and DB have done this, if you need any leads.

I thought they might. Maybe they will chime in shortly.
Posted on: 2010/3/30 18:02

Durango_Boy Re: Removable Rear Window Conversion
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Yes, I have done two of these conversions.

The window is the hardest part. You can buy the rest of it and there's not much to it.

You'll need the window seal, which is a large rubber surround that you glue into place.

You'll need the plastic guides and a pair of metal guides...they screw in at the bottom and the horns of the window frame, used for alignment, slide into them.

You'll need a metal, and a plastic, for each side. Most of the Corvette vendors carry them...I may have some part numbers handy.

Get a set of new latches from a vendor.

You'll have to drill mounting holes for the screws that hold the latches and guides in place but those aren't hard and slots with U-clips are best.

Once the latches and guides are in place, get the window seal glued in. I cut it at the very top, in the middle. First, it's too long and will buckle, and being two piece makes it easier to install.

Use 3M weatherstrip adhesive, and invite some friends over since their extra hands will make it easier.

Start at the bottom in the middle, lay some adhesive, and start the seal. Let that cure and tack up. Then start on either side, gluing down several inches at a time until it's tacky enough for a friend to hold while you do more.

Once you have it glues all the way around, trim at the top so the two sides meet in the middle, and glue them down. Then, PUT THE WINDOW IN AND LATCH IT quickly.

You want the glue to cure while the window is sealed against it.
Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:56

Curtis1974 Re: Removable Rear Window Conversion
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I bought mine as a complete kit with the window about five years ago. Unfortunately that company is no longer in business. Sometimes you can find the frame and glass on eBay, but since you got one you'll just need the rest which DB mentioned above.........
Posted on: 2010/3/31 2:08

Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

I hear the storage tray components are hard to come by. I'll want to carry the window with me, but I don't care if it has the original style tray. Did you guys use originals, or do something different entirely?
Posted on: 2010/3/31 11:53

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I didn't get a tray. I just stow mine in the back and it still fits fine with my speaker box in the back. If I stow both tops in the back the back glass still has room. I just wrap a beach towel around it. I've seen the trays and to be honest they look like they take up too much room and room is a commodity in a C3. Just my two pennies!
Posted on: 2010/3/31 13:11

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I opted not to use or make a tray either. They were rattle generators as well, no matter how new or well maintained.

I just either put the glass in the back or I leave it at home.
Posted on: 2010/3/31 21:59

Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Thanks for the help guys!

For storage, I'm envisioning a cover, wrapped in matching carpet, that I can lay down over the window, behind the storage compartments. It would need to be strong enough to support the weight of the tops (and anything else I have back there) without damaging the window. Some plywood would probably do the job.

I'll take plenty of pics when I start tackling the project.
Posted on: 2010/4/1 13:18

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Look forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck and keep us posted!
Posted on: 2010/4/1 13:57

dstaley Re: Removable Rear Window Conversion
Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

I would love to do this too, but the $$$ just isn't available for awhile. It's too bad, because my rear window is rattling around loose and only held in by my interior trim. I need to fix it right away, which would be oh-so-convenient if I was prepared to do the update now.

I am highly suspicious that it's all Durango Boy's fault. He sold me a fantastic subwoofer that has been highly stressful to the rear window seal since it is stressing my rear deck, but I sure don't mind. I enjoyed every vibration it created. The old seal must be getting hard and old by now.
Posted on: 2010/6/3 1:38

Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Quote:

dstaley wrote:
I would love to do this too, but the $$$ just isn't available for awhile. It's too bad, because my rear window is rattling around loose and only held in by my interior trim. I need to fix it right away, which would be oh-so-convenient if I was prepared to do the update now.

Yeh, its not a cheap conversion. I got a pretty good deal on the window and frame, and I found a pair of repro roof panels for $40. But I have yet to find a deal on the latches - looks like its gonna be at least $160 for a new pair of those. I'm gonna end up with about $350 total in it, not too bad I suppose.
Posted on: 2010/6/3 11:58

Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

I was able to pull this off. A guy in Springfield, IL sold me a window, the lower plastic and aluminum wedge receptacle thingys, and a couple used latches for a good price. The broken springs in the latches drove me nuts, so I worked with a guy on eBay and got a pair of new reproduction latches for another $100.

I bought a new rear window seal from Willcox (I kind of got gouged on the shipping, but only for a few bucks) and made the rest of the pieces I needed. I ended up spending about $300 total, although I don't have the halo panels yet- those will probably set me back about $150 or so shipped unless I can find a deal on them somehow/somewhere.
Posted on: 2010/6/29 1:54

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Keep us posted, and if you need any tips during the install CALL me, I'm available to be reached from 9am to 4am, and I sleep from 4am to 9am.
Posted on: 2010/6/29 16:06

Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Quote:
dstaley wrote:
The broken springs in the latches drove me nuts, so I worked with a guy on eBay and got a pair of new reproduction latches for another $100.

That's a really good deal, do you mind if I ask who sold them? I've been watching for awhile, and I'd drop $100 right now for a new pair.

Quote:
dstaley wrote:
I ended up spending about $300 total, although I don't have the halo panels yet- those will probably set me back about $150 or so shipped unless I can find a deal on them somehow/somewhere.

I got a pair of new reproductions for a late '68, unpainted, molded in black plastic. I'll need to put a couple more screw holes in them, but my interior is black, so I probably won't have to paint them. $42 shipped for the pair, from jfortec (Corvette Pacifica) on eBay. They have a pair in their store right now:
Late 1968 Corvette Rear Roof Panel Pair unpainted EC138

I haven't installed them yet, so I can't comment on fit/finish, but they are sturdy and look nice. Hope this helps!
Posted on: 2010/7/1 12:29

Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Quote:

Trae1976 wrote:
Quote:
dstaley wrote:
The broken springs in the latches drove me nuts, so I worked with a guy on eBay and got a pair of new reproduction latches for another $100.

That's a really good deal, do you mind if I ask who sold them? I've been watching for awhile, and I'd drop $100 right now for a new pair.

Nawww, I don't mind at all. The seller was joecola19. I think he was just an individual selling stuff he didn't end up using. He had a pair of the '68 halo panels that I passed up since they pretty much require the bezels to look right, but the '70-72 ones look OK right out of the box (don't require the bezels that aren't being reproduced).

Quote:

Trae1976 wrote:Quote:
dstaley wrote:
I ended up spending about $300 total, although I don't have the halo panels yet- those will probably set me back about $150 or so shipped unless I can find a deal on them somehow/somewhere.

I got a pair of new reproductions for a late '68, unpainted, molded in black plastic. I'll need to put a couple more screw holes in them, but my interior is black, so I probably won't have to paint them. $42 shipped for the pair, from jfortec (Corvette Pacifica) on eBay. They have a pair in their store right now:
Late 1968 Corvette Rear Roof Panel Pair unpainted EC138

I haven't installed them yet, so I can't comment on fit/finish, but they are sturdy and look nice. Hope this helps!

If I came across a pair of bezels for a fair price, I'd jump on a deal like that if I didn't decide to just trim my own!
Posted on: 2010/7/3 5:12

asimov7 Re: Removable Rear Window Conversion
Guru Newb
2 Posts

I am really glad to have found you guys. I have been looking for info on converting the rear window on my '74 coupe. I have absolutely none of the hardware and will be starting from scratch. I need everything, including the window itself. I am more interested in functionality than "factory" accuracy, and welcome info on any aftermarket hardware or whole kits.
Posted on: 2010/7/4 22:04

Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Quote:
asimov7 wrote:
I am really glad to have found you guys. I have been looking for info on converting the rear window on my '74 coupe. I have absolutely none of the hardware and will be starting from scratch. I need everything, including the window itself. I am more interested in functionality than "factory" accuracy, and welcome info on any aftermarket hardware or whole kits.

Welcome asimov7!

Sorry for the delayed response.

I've been doing a little more research. It appears that Paragon offers all the components you need to install a removable rear window. However, I don't believe anyone offers a reproduction storage tray, if you want that as well.

Here's the list I've compiled for a "non-factory" installation. I didn't bother listing fasteners, but they offer the "correct" ones if you want.

Rear Window Glass
$142.00

Rear Window Frame (NOS)
Call for price

Removable Rear Window Wedge
$20.00 for 2

Rear Removable Window Weatherstrip
$34.00

Rear Window Locating Wedge Plate
$10.00 for 2

Coupe Rear Window Guide
$22.00 for 2

Removable Rear Window Lock Assembly
$110.00 for 2

Rear Roof Panel Kit
$148.00

Total: $486.00 + Cost of Frame + S&H

For those that have done this conversion … did I leave anything out?

Hope this helps!
Posted on: 2010/7/9 17:50

asimov7 Re: Removable Rear Window Conversion
Guru Newb
2 Posts

Thx A Million, man !!! I will check out PARAGON 1st thing in the a.m.
Posted on: 2010/7/12 7:11

Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Quote:
asimov7 wrote:
Thx A Million, man !!! I will check out PARAGON 1st thing in the a.m.

No problem!

I ordered the Locating Wedge Plates, Window Guides, and Lock Assemblies on Friday afternoon. I'll let you know when they get here and how they look.

I plan on having the conversion done by the end of the month - I'll take some pics and write up something about it.
Posted on: 2010/7/12 12:37

Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

The parts from Paragon were on my doorstep when I got home this evening.

So, no complaints about their shipping time!
Posted on: 2010/7/13 22:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.