Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
217 user(s) are online (181 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L80E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.43
2nd Gear: 1.49
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.75

Reverse: 2.07

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

zoe6 Electrical ?
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Hi guys Have a quick electrical question. Voltage gauge in dash reads 13.6v. I took a VOM to check on board gauge accuracy still 13.6 volts. I'm under the impression that the alternator should be putting out 14.2-14.6v. I checked the battery, 13 month old Exide reads 12.8v. My question is since the engine and electicals seem "normal" is this a bad alternator issue! perhaps a blown diode? When I use the VOM as a shunt between positive cable and positive post of batt I read .06 v I would assume thats a normal parastic draw.
BTW body is 60% detared and began to wet sand hood with 2000 grit. Bought a quart of Victory Red and plan on blending blistered paint on rockers with an air brush.
I appreciate you guys. Erin
Posted on: 2010/8/19 21:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Electrical ?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

You could be looking at a dying alternator...

Considering the mileage, I would be more prone to blame weak brushes than a failing diode... diodes are queer, they die, you don't charge.

I am sure you guys have a local rebuilder, I would take it him. I would say it is a full volt under what it should be.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 21:50

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Moved to C6 tech!
Posted on: 2010/8/19 21:50

zoe6 Re: Electrical ?
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Thank You Andy. Thats what I figured, alternator. I will remove the "little bugger" and tear it down! Thanks again
Posted on: 2010/8/19 21:58

1Fast04Vert Re: Electrical ?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Alternator output should be 13.8 to 14.2 and battery voltage should be 12.6 or better. Everything sounds good to me, including the parasitic draw.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 22:17

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Alternator output should be 13.8 to 14.2 and battery voltage should be 12.6 or better. Everything sounds good to me, including the parasitic draw.

I checked the charging system at idle brights on, A/C on max, stereo on max(Brookes&Dunn never sounded so good)and left it that mode for 15 min. I would think that the alternator would be maxed out pumping those little electrons back into the battery. Maybe I will let it be for now and look up specs. Geez getting dads laptop pretty greasey.
I checked the charging system on Dads 55Chevy (what a brute) at idle (1200) it reads 14.9 v. and returns to 13.7-14.2its a Powermaster 160Amp alternator. Those numbers seem more logical. Maybe 13.6V isn't that far off normal, its only .20-.06 volts. Thanks Erin
Posted on: 2010/8/19 22:36

CentralCoaster Re: Electrical ?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

13.6V is still plenty IMO, especially at idle. Does it increase at all as you rev it?

I would not consider replacing an alternator until it started dropping under 13V at hot idle with everything drawing. Anything over 12.8 is still charging.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 22:39

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
13.6V is still plenty IMO, especially at idle. Does it increase at all as you rev it?

I would not consider replacing an alternator until it started dropping under 13V at hot idle with everything drawing. Anything over 12.8 is still charging.

CC I don't see any movement of the dash gauge but does move on the VOM it increases slightly. Another thought maybe the battery is so efficient in its recovery it does require that much charging voltage. Does that make sense?
Posted on: 2010/8/19 22:44

BillH Re: Electrical ?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

zoe6 wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

CC I don't see any movement of the dash gauge but does move on the VOM it increases slightly. Another thought maybe the battery is so efficient in its recovery it does require that much charging voltage. Does that make sense?

I agree with CC.
A 13 month Exide is almost new, recovers faster.
Just FYI, my 6 year old Exide reads 11.9 before startup and has been reading this for 3+ years. Alternator output with this old battery is 14.5 warmed up and sometimes 15.1.

You can always pull the alternator and have it tested.

If you're going to get into the electrical stuff on your C6, you should purchase a FSM (Factory Service Manual). They really help even for the C4's we drive.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 23:56

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

I plan on a trip in two weeks with a considerable amount of night driving. I have the alternator out now and will take it our local Chevy Service Dept. for testing. I noticed today on my way to "the shop" how easy it is the break the tires loose with moderate acceleration. This is going take sometime to get use to especially in heels.
Posted on: 2010/8/20 0:11

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

In all seriousness, you may want to drive in something other than heels... just for better, more secure foot support. My wife always drove with flipflops, vs heels.
Posted on: 2010/8/21 4:28

Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

I'm usually in scrubs and Nikes' but when I travel I have to look the part thus the heels. The ZO6 will require flats or better yet bare feet. Vetron has a 55 Chevy that should not be allowed on this planet that I tried to drive with nice shoes on, big mistake! Dad just smiled and replaced the garage door the next day. I noticed its difficult to removed yourself from a Corvette with a skirt on. I do drive with flip flops on I have noticed the ZO6 is not very forgiving if you somehow hit the gas instead of the brake. Dads Vette is an automatic. Erin
Posted on: 2010/8/21 20:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.