Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Klaus Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

This is a post on Brand X about a very interesting distributor:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showt ... 1563703421#post1563703421

It is supposed to allow a L98 to use a LT1 computer, and this distributor substitutes the signal normally generated by the Optispark.

I sent them an email asking if this distributor could be used in an LT1 to eliminate the Optispark. It will be interesting to see what they say.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 0:26

2008 Machine Silver Coupe
LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Jeffvette RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

thread lock in 3.2.1 for not being a supporting vendor.....
Posted on: 2008/1/20 0:51

Notorious RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
thread lock in 3.2.1 for not being a supporting vendor.....

Yep, shouldn't be long.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 0:58

bogus RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

it won't be locked here. Someone needs to PM him about this place.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 2:17

Klaus RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

I sent them an email asking them to post about their product on C4Guru.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 3:34

LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

excellent.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 3:47

SpectatorRacing RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

How could it eliminate the optispark? We have no crank position sensor to time the spark. How will the computer match spark to piston position?

This concept has been discussed endlessly, and there is still only a band-aid solution - use only the optical part of the optispark (with a delteq or LCCC type system) and bypas the mechanical rotor assembly which is more prone to failure.

I don't want to be too negative, but I think us LT1 guys are stuck with GM's bastard idea...
Posted on: 2008/1/20 7:33

94z07 RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Guru
94 Posts

"We have no crank position sensor to time the spark."

Please correct me if I'm wrong here but the L98's distributor sends a reference signal to the comp to trigger the batch firing of the injectors.

Perhaps they are using this signal and some math to figure out the position of the cam and therefore the crank.

Even if they only get close, it should be good enough for the 92-93 LT1s.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 7:50

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Youve both missed the point of the thread i think. The idea of the distributor in question is to go on an L98 and give out the same signal as the LT1 optispark does, so a 94/95 PCM can be used to control an L98.

The bloke that started this thread has the idea of using this distributor on an LT1 and mounted in the convential top/rear location so he doesnt have the optispark in use.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 8:38

SpectatorRacing Re: Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
I sent them an email asking if this distributor could be used in an LT1 to eliminate the Optispark. It will be interesting to see what they say.

Case - this is what we were referring two. The second question.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 14:42

xtrememotorsports RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Quote:
How could it eliminate the optispark? We have no crank position sensor to time the spark. How will the computer match spark to piston position?

This concept has been discussed endlessly, and there is still only a band-aid solution - use only the optical part of the optispark (with a delteq or LCCC type system) and bypas the mechanical rotor assembly which is more prone to failure.

I don't want to be too negative, but I think us LT1 guys are stuck with GM's bastard idea...

We are currently in the process or testing it on the LT1 the main thing to deal with is changing the intake to recevie the distributor,or have a machine shop machine a hole it the stock LT1 intake.If you are talking about the LS1 computer the kit will come with a crank trigger and reluctor wheel we currently have a patten pending so I dont want to give away all our secrets I will post up pics of the install and video of the dyno run.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 15:57

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

To use that old chestnut from the land of computer geeks - garbage in, garbage out. It's all about the data.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 21:07

Klaus RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

I know the original idea behind the product is to connect a LT1 computer to a L98 engine. But if this distributor can send the proper signals to an LT1 computer there should not be any reason why it couldn't work in an LT1 engine provided the LT1 is modified to accept a conventional type distributor.

I think going to a conventional type distributor that can also supply the optispark's signals would have several advantages.

I wonder if Edelbrock would produce an optional LT1/LT4 intake with a conventional distributor mounting hole?

I've never liked the optispark location, and this sounds like the most plausible solution so far to both move it and improve it.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 23:46

LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

xtrememotorsports RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Quote:
To use that old chestnut from the land of computer geeks - garbage in, garbage out. It's all about the data.

I know I might sound stupid so I apologize ahead of time... but I have never heard this "phrase" can someone tell me what it means???

Thanks!!
Posted on: 2008/1/21 4:26

94z07 RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Guru
94 Posts

Quote:

can someone tell me what it means???
Thanks!!

You've heard people say things like "Some computer error sent my two year old son a credit card application"?

Well the computer didn't make an error. Someone keyed in bad data and the result was a bad outcome. GIGO

I was once asked how long it would take to import a customer database from Access to SQL Server. My answer was "let me see the data". The management team didn't like that answer and kept asking me for ball park figures etc. I told them that it would only take me five minutes if the data were solid but if not it would not be possible at all. I'm glad I covered my ass on that one because of the 3,000 customers in the source there were only four complete records. I built them an interface and set up two teams to key the data. I compared the data from one team to the other and where there was a mis-match I sent it back to them. In the end, it took about three weeks to get the data from paper into the system I created because I was not about to relax the integrity rules and allow poisoned data into the new system.
Posted on: 2008/1/21 5:46

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Optispark Substitute - Post on Brand X
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Case - this is what we were referring two. The second question.

My point exactly, i know what youre refering to. He wants to install this after market distributor on the top of an LT1, and i personally dont see any reason as to why he couldnt do it and have it work perfectly. The distributor in question outputs the same signal as the optical section of the front mount distributor, which means he could totally do away with the whole front mounted distributor if indeed he can mount the after market unit to the top of the LT1 (which has been done before)

If you can see any good reason as to why it wont work, by all means tell me.
Posted on: 2008/1/21 6:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.