Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
300 user(s) are online (237 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sting Ray
1963 through 1967 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Stingray, 1969-1976....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TimoG Any shock recommendations for an '87 convertible with Z52 suspension?
Guru Newb
Gardnerville, NV
24 Posts

Looks like the original Bilsteins on my Convertible have handed in their notice after 90k and a trip down some rather rough California roads last summer.

As I've got a little time to work on it before I'll put it back on the road again[1], one of the items I want to sort out are the shock absorbers. At the usual mail order suspects, I found several shocks that are for Z51 C4s, are these interchangeable with the Z52 ones? My understanding is that Z52 is basically Z51 without the stiffer springs, but I'm still learning about 'vettes.

I might take it for the occasional Auto-X until I get my HPDE project ready (not a 'vette, sorry), so the shocks should stand up to that sort of use.

[1] Got to wait until the mud in our dirt driveway dries again for spring, otherwise I'll just get stuck :tongue:.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 1:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Any shock recommendations for an '87 convertible with Z52 suspension?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

If I were planning on autocrossing I'd replace with bilsteins. If just around town, KYBs are an economical choice. I personally bought KYBs to replace mine and I am happy with the quality and ride for price. When it's time to do it again, I'll go with Bilsteins. Avoid Monroe, they are not good for our cars.

If this were a serious road race car, you'd want to upgrade to adjustable coil overs, but that's several thousand dollars and lots of fabrication work.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/1/20 2:32

bogus Re: Any shock recommendations for an '87 convertible with Z52 suspension?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

In between all of what Matthew suggested is Koni.

They make a shock that is adjustable for compression.

It's what I use, I think they are about $150 each. Our banner sponsor, tirerack.com, I believe carries them. If you decide to work with them, select them from the left nav menu, or the top bar.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 2:55

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

TimoG Re: Any shock recommendations for an '87 convertible with Z52 suspension?
Guru Newb
Gardnerville, NV
24 Posts

Hmm. Konis. I've got pretty good experience with them, might look into them.

It's not a serious road race car, just an occasional daily driver that also gets used as it's supposed to be used. Basically, the Bilsteins that are available from the usual source would probably be good enough provided the 'Z51" ones are the correct ones to get.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 3:29

BillH Re: Any shock recommendations for an '87 convertible with Z52 suspension?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The most important question: How much do you want to spend?

IMO, Bilstein or Koni but the adjustables will up the cost by quite a bit.
IMO, occasional Auto-X: non-adjustable. Running for points/championship: adjustable. Put the money in your track car.

Andy, single adjustable won't have compression adjustment, they will have rebound adjustment (more important).

T, the sutocross schedule is out and firm. The schedule for HPDE was posted yesterday, looks good, 5 events. But it's still open to some changes.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 13:41

Vetron87 Re: Any shock recommendations for an '87 convertible with Z52 suspension?
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I replaced my stock "StockShocks" Bilsteins a few summers ago, with KYB. Good all round shock and was priced right. Currently my 87 has 32K and will never take it on the track, so KYB was the economical choice. Stock shocks died because of age not miles.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 13:51

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Stock shocks are dead at 20k.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 14:08

Vetron87 Re: Any shock recommendations for an '87 convertible with Z52 suspension?
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Stock shocks are dead at 20k.

Soo...that means they died in 1996 Damn no wonder it cornered bad
Cool
Posted on: 2011/1/20 15:19

Guru Newb
Gardnerville, NV
24 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

IMO, occasional Auto-X: non-adjustable. Running for points/championship: adjustable. Put the money in your track car.

Given that I've never been on an autocross course, I think I'll skip the idea of points . Eckler's was listing a set of Bilsteins for the Z51 for $300, but at a stretch I could go up to their 'Autocross' Bilsteins or the red Konis, both of which seem to be around $600/set.

Unfortunately I need to spend more money on the track project (a '77 Celica Liftback) than expected as its engine appears to be slightly less than healthy. But I don't want to skimp on the shocks for the C4 either, only to regret that decision later on.

Quote:

BillH wrote:
T, the sutocross schedule is out and firm. The schedule for HPDE was posted yesterday, looks good, 5 events. But it's still open to some changes.

Cool, I'll have a look - guess I should join SCCA then, too...

By the way, am I misremembering or did you mention you had a friend in Gardnerville who has a machine shop down here? It looks like I've got to pull the head on the track car's engine and depending on how bad things turn out to be,might have to get the head overhauled or worse, the engine rebored. And for stuff like that I do like to work off personal recommendations...
Posted on: 2011/1/20 15:22

jaa1992 Re: Any shock recommendations for an '87 convertible with Z52 suspension?
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

Are the koni adjustables adjusted at the top or bottom of the shock?
If at the top how do you adjust the rear shocks?
Posted on: 2011/1/20 15:37

Guru Newb
Gardnerville, NV
24 Posts

At least the red rears have to be adjusted off the car - the docs suggest that you have to push the top part down and twist it.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 15:40

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TimoG wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Given that I've never been on an autocross course, I think I'll skip the idea of points . Eckler's was listing a set of Bilsteins for the Z51 for $300, but at a stretch I could go up to their 'Autocross' Bilsteins or the red Konis, both of which seem to be around $600/set.

Unfortunately I need to spend more money on the track project (a '77 Celica Liftback) than expected as its engine appears to be slightly less than healthy. But I don't want to skimp on the shocks for the C4 either, only to regret that decision later on.

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Cool, I'll have a look - guess I should join SCCA then, too...

By the way, am I misremembering or did you mention you had a friend in Gardnerville who has a machine shop down here? It looks like I've got to pull the head on the track car's engine and depending on how bad things turn out to be,might have to get the head overhauled or worse, the engine rebored. And for stuff like that I do like to work off personal recommendations...

His machineshop isn't an automotive machine shop. But he is a gearhead. I can ask him if there's anyone in G-Ville to go to. He may have his work done in Reno.

Alsp, PM sent to you.
Posted on: 2011/1/20 18:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.