Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
235 user(s) are online (184 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  MAF
Mass Air Flow sensor. Used to measure the amount of air entering the intake. This sensor works by heating an element and then measuring the rate of c...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

djxib A couple of engine rebuild questions
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

I'm just about to start the reassembly of my motor. New rings and rod bearings, cam bearings, cam, lifters, rocker arms etc etc. I've done head gaskets before so I'm cool with all the valvetrain assembly and new bolt / heat cycle re-torque etc.

Rod bolt question. If I put my new rod bearings in, torque the rods (for a plastigage measurement), undo, then re-torque, will I stretch the rod bolts? How many times can I do this before I'm looking at a new set of rods?

Piston Ring question. I managed to snap a couple of rings when removing them from the pistons - and I'm worried that I may snap the new ones putting them on. Any guru techniques for new rings? However it is possible that the old ones were brittle through detonation, maybe I'm unnecessarily concerned.

Thanks!
Posted on: 2011/1/25 20:37

1996 Greenwood Collectors Edition LT4

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: A couple of engine rebuild questions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Practice... that is how one installs rings! I also find oiling them will allow them to slip onto the piston a little easier. There is a piston ring tool that will gently and evenly open them up to slip them over. The other advantage to oiling them rings is that they will stay where you put them.

As for the bolts, you will safely get a couple of torquings out of them. They are designed for the test and final torque. I would use ARP, at the very least.
Posted on: 2011/1/25 20:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

rklessdriver Re: A couple of engine rebuild questions
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

On the rod bolts. We measure the free length in our racing engine's rod bolts. Then every tear down - we check them against that orginal measurement. Easy to spot one that's ready to go off the reservation. Of course that's not possible with used rods.

Luckily stock SBC thru rod bolts last a very long time. As long as you do not over TQ the bolt and permantly stretch/damage it or pull the threads off - they are capable of being TQ'd and un-TQ's and re-used within their capability many times. You can usually spot an over stretched thru bolt type rod bolt by the threads first - The nut won't spin on freely. If thats the case it could just be a burr or dent on the threads - but if you come across one like that - inspect it with a magnifying glass to find the problem.

If you have ANY doubt - replace them. It's not worth it. I've broken rods before and it's usually 100% destruction at any RPM.

On the rings. I use the "spiral" tech to install rings on the piston. Start by placing one end of the ring into the desired ring land. Then you slide the rest of the ring around in a circle across the top and crown of the piston pulling at the inside of the ring so it drops over the crown of the piston (it will get tighter/harder to do as you go along). Then you take the other end of the ring and pull it back a little flexing the ring so the edge will clear the crown and drop down into the desired ring land (be careful not to drag the edge of the ring across the side of the ring lands).

They do make pliar type tools that expand the rings so you can install them - but you can still break rings using them.

When installing the compression rings it takes practice to know when have stretched them "just enough" to clear the crown of the piston.

I personally don't use oil until after all rings are installed on the piston. It makes them too slipperly to handle.
Will
Posted on: 2011/1/25 21:25

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

BillH Re: A couple of engine rebuild questions
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
They do make pliar type tools that expand the rings so you can install them - but you can still break rings using them.

When installing the compression rings it takes practice to know when have stretched them "just enough" to clear the crown of the piston.

I personally don't use oil until after all rings are installed on the piston. It makes them too slipperly to handle.
Will

My piston ring spreader (plyers) was a huge "bang for the bucks" tool. Like $6.00.

I lightly clamp the rod in a vice (wooden jaws) where the piston is sitting on the jaws so that it can't rock.

Yea, on the comp ring, opened with the spreader just far enough to slip over the piston.

Me too on no oil when installing.
Posted on: 2011/1/25 21:46

rayquayle Re: A couple of engine rebuild questions
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
On the rod bolts. We measure the free length in our racing engine's rod bolts. Then every tear down - we check them against that orginal measurement. Easy to spot one that's ready to go off the reservation. Of course that's not possible with used rods.

Luckily stock SBC thru rod bolts last a very long time. As long as you do not over TQ the bolt and permantly stretch/damage it or pull the threads off - they are capable of being TQ'd and un-TQ's and re-used within their capability many times. You can usually spot an over stretched thru bolt type rod bolt by the threads first - The nut won't spin on freely. If thats the case it could just be a burr or dent on the threads - but if you come across one like that - inspect it with a magnifying glass to find the problem.

If you have ANY doubt - replace them. It's not worth it. I've broken rods before and it's usually 100% destruction at any RPM.

Hey Will, quick probably dumb question. What about new rods that come with cap screws? The caps come torqued, so is there any way to know what the original length was? I suppose ARP has the nominal length posted somewhere?
Posted on: 2011/1/25 21:55
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Mine' s the Comp Cam design. Never broke a ring with it and IMO, much easier than spirling. $20

Attach file:

jpg  249-POW105060.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/1/25 21:59

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

rayquayle wrote:
Hey Will, quick probably dumb question. What about new rods that come with cap screws? The caps come torqued, so is there any way to know what the original length was? I suppose ARP has the nominal length posted somewhere?

Measure them before you remove them for the first time.

I'd have to look in my ARP book but IIRC I don't think they would give more than a nominal measurement. Will may know.

I can dig my book out if you want.
Posted on: 2011/1/25 22:05

Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

rayquayle wrote:

Measure them before you remove them for the first time.

I'd have to look in my ARP book but IIRC I don't think they would give more than a nominal measurement. Will may know.

I can dig my book out if you want.

No worries, Bill. I'll do as you suggest and measure before I remove them for the first time.

Ray
Posted on: 2011/1/25 22:40
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Ray

Now there are common nominal lengths - However the rod bolts/cap screws will all vary in length a few tenths of a thou.... You need to know which bolts your rods have. ARP mfgr's a number of different length rod bolts and list them in their book. SPS CARR and MSA also mfgr different length bolts. The rod mfgr should also include info as to which bolts are installed in the rods yo have. The most common lengths are 1.50" and 1.60" but there are 1.550 and 1.80 long bolts as well as others....

You measure the bolts out of the rod (free length) and then again once the bolt is tightened or TQ'd properly in the rod. The spec for stretch varied by bolt material, under head length, thread pitch and dia. For example an 3/8"X 1.5" ARP 8740 should stretch .0046-.0050 (in addition to it's nominal free length). So a 1.5" bolt would measure 1.5046 to 1.5050....

If you were real anal - You could zero the gauge on the bolt as they are deliverd out of the box (TQ'd by the mfgr) and then check that measurement against the free length and again against your TQ'd bolt length - but I honestly don't know of anyone who does that.

Reason is - It's unlikely that the mfgr would have damaged the bolt during the rod mfgring process.

I can't speak for all mfgrs but on a well know engine site a rep for one rod mfgr (SCAT) actually stated that they burnish (roll) the rod bolt threads by TQing them 2 times and then they honing the rod to size (which is how it's delivered to the customer)... so like I said, it's very unlikely they used up all of the bolts elasticisticy during manufacturing.
Will
Posted on: 2011/1/26 15:31

Senior Guru
139 Posts

Apologies to Andy, never intended to hijack his thread. Thanks for the reply, Will. Much appreciated. The rods I'm waiting for are the SCAT Ultra Q-Lite Stroker rods. They say they come with 1.4” special ARP 8740 7/16” Cap Screws. Nice to know they apparently roll them in before shipment. I guess I won't bother measuring stretch and just torque them to spec during pre and final assembly.

Thanks again for the help.

Ray
Posted on: 2011/1/26 19:52
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Ray
I would HIGHLY suggest you measure the bolt stretch.

The tool from ARP or BHJ is only $150.00-$200.00 and is $$$ well spent.

I can guarentee that short 7/16 ARP 8740 bolt will not stretch the proper amount using a TQ wrench....

There is a good reason Scat changed those rods 2 years ago from 3/8th ARP 2000 bolts to the 7/16 bolt - because people were building oval track engine right on the 550HP power rating and using TQ wrenches.... Those rod bolts were breaking and scattering motors everywhere. The ARP 2000 bolt is VERY sensitive to proper stretch for proper clamp load.....

The 7/16 ARP 8740 bolt is more forgiving but I can tell you as short as it is.... I'd bet the TQ rating is 70-75 lbs....

I would like you to read this. It pretty well covers the peril of using TQ wrenches on a critical fastner like a high performance rod bolt.

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/co ... tretch-assembly-specs.php

I'll also offer my apologies for the thread drift and subsequent Hijack.
Will
Posted on: 2011/1/26 20:12

bogus Re: A couple of engine rebuild questions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I don't consider this to be hijacking to drift. It is very good discussion on advanced engine build techniques, which to be honest, I am, not that well versed in.

I fully understand the issues discussed; I was rather ignorant to the issue in the first place.

This is good stuff! Keep it coming!
Posted on: 2011/1/26 20:32

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
There is a good reason Scat changed those rods 2 years ago from 3/8th ARP 2000 bolts to the 7/16 bolt - because people were building oval track engine right on the 550HP power rating and using TQ wrenches.... Those rod bolts were breaking and scattering motors everywhere. The ARP 2000 bolt is VERY sensitive to proper stretch for proper clamp load.....

Will

Yea, I learned that the hard way. Different motor,Ford 4cyl that runs no lower than 5,000 and shifts at 7 for an entire race. Even using ARP lube and the lubed torque spec. Sliced right thru my brand new Scat crank, took out the block, drysump pan, cam, 4 rods. And the Scat crank alone costs $850.
Very expensive learning experience.
Posted on: 2011/1/26 21:57

Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Ray
I would HIGHLY suggest you measure the bolt stretch.

The tool from ARP or BHJ is only $150.00-$200.00 and is $$$ well spent.

I can guarentee that short 7/16 ARP 8740 bolt will not stretch the proper amount using a TQ wrench....

The 7/16 ARP 8740 bolt is more forgiving but I can tell you as short as it is.... I'd bet the TQ rating is 70-75 lbs....

I would like you to read this. It pretty well covers the peril of using TQ wrenches on a critical fastner like a high performance rod bolt.

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/co ... tretch-assembly-specs.php

I'll also offer my apologies for the thread drift and subsequent Hijack.
Will

OK Will, very good info. I actually have an ARP stretch gauge and intended to use it, but in the past I'd always had new bolts that I'd measure relaxed, right out of the box then torque to the specified stretch. I was unsure what to do with pre torqued bolts that come with new rods. I guess I didn't get what you were saying in the last post. Must've gotten distracted when you said anal! So what I want to do is measure the length as they come from Scat torqued in the rod and then torque to the same length when I reassemble. Sound right? Thanks again for all the help.
Posted on: 2011/1/27 1:42
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Ray
What it sounds like your doing is double checking Scat to ensure they stretched the bolts the proper amount when they mfgr'd the rods.

If Scat stretched the bolts incorrectly when they honed the rods to size it could distort the rod bore out of round when they are stretched correctly during engine assembly.

That is why I said it's an overly anal step.... Your going to find out when you check the rod bore.

I think what I have below (consider it my connecting rod check list) would have made this much easier to explain.

I first take the rods apart, clean them up, inspect them for physical defects, measure and record the rod bolt free length, re-assemble the rods with the rod bolts stretched correcly and measure the big ends (and the pin bore/little end)... If something is wrong you can then take the rod to the machine and fix it. At that point I record all the connecting rod measurements in the spec sheet.

After that I weigh them and correct any variance greater than a gram. At that point I record all the weights in the spec sheet.

After that, clean them up once more and they are ready to assemble on to the pistons.
Will
Posted on: 2011/1/27 14:35

Senior Guru
139 Posts

Will, I see what you're saying now. I was assuming that once Scat had stretched the bolts and I removed them, it's too late to get the original length as a certain amount of stretch remains. I guess that as it has only been done a couple of time during manufacturing this is nothing to be concerned with.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ray
Posted on: 2011/1/27 17:40
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.