Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
287 user(s) are online (189 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A4
Generic reference to an automatic equipped C4. All are 4-speed overdrive units....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Lets talk about fuel and alternatives ..... [PR&C]
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Let's keep it clean ..... No hitting below the belt. What can we do to the the Middle Eastern Oil Monkees off our backs?

Stuff like this?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Mass-co ... l-apf-1697852073.html?x=0
Posted on: 2011/2/28 4:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Lets talk about fuel and alternatives ..... [PR&C]
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

On a side note, the article mentions that skeptics are leery. Well no shit Sherlock. Aren't all skeptics leery? What did you expect? Skeptics believe theory will succeed? WTF!
Posted on: 2011/2/28 4:31

bogus Re: Lets talk about fuel and alternatives ..... [PR&C]
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am willing to let anything run its course.

If this works, it will be epic. But I do have to question the logic, however, at the same time, I know that they have done a lot of research in different alcohol formulations, so this seems possible.

Diesel is compression ignition, so it doesn't need to be on a par with gas and lubrication isn't the key, either...

So... if it will blow up when squeezed, go for it!
Posted on: 2011/2/28 4:48

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

JrRifleCoach Re: Lets talk about fuel and alternatives ..... [PR&C]
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Ahh err ahh, is hydrogen allowed in this discussion?
Posted on: 2011/2/28 6:17
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

TommyT-Bone Re: Lets talk about fuel and alternatives ..... [PR&C]
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Fission, fusion, water, hydrogen, solar, wind, methane. You name it. If it can create a sustainable low to moderate cost source of energy without loading the planet with negative side effects .... Go for it. There's got to be a better way than to continue sucking the teats of the oil companies. These fuel price fluctuations are getting to be ridiculous. Americans in general forget about it as soon as the price drops and the supplies grow. We need home grown energy ...... Yesterday .....
Posted on: 2011/2/28 12:48

Matatk Re: Lets talk about fuel and alternatives ..... [PR&C]
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Tommy, I really hope that works out for us. But it is still in it's stage of infancy, too. Many more years before it comes to fruition if it does work.

We also use oil and oil products in other daily life, so we need to address that, as well. I've always been a big fan of electricity generators through wind and solar methods. I look forward to the day I can put some solar panels on my house (at a reasonable price!) and be self sustained for my electricity needs.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/2/28 13:16

Ultraman Re: Lets talk about fuel and alternatives ..... [PR&C]
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14742 Posts

Everything is limited by something all the time. There are no easy answeres to energy. It isn't easy to crack a gal of crude but we have the infrastructure in place to do it. As we have been through in previose threads ethenol has it's weak points. Wind energy is frought with legal issues and the high cost and maintenance of the generators. Solar energy has potential but is pricy and needs further work.

I think there is hope for synthetic fuels but much work needs to be done there before that can be mainstream. At this point the quickest way to rid ourselves of the ongoing rollercoaster ride called the Mideast is to develope our own vast reasources and become energy independent that way. Just the other day there was a thread about new oil reserves found in Montana and Wyoming. Huge amounts of sweet light crude and that does not even count the oil shale banks in Canada.

We need new refineries now and to start drilling new wells, then we can tell the not so nice folks overseas that we don't need what they got, sell that shit to China and India. We're good. To do that you are going to have to meet the invironmentalists head on and make it so everyone can have it work.

We need to buy time, and since we are set up with the infrastructure that we have and have all this oil of our own why in the world aren't we moving ahead with this?
Posted on: 2011/2/28 14:08

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Step one.
Create a vision of natural power generation that does not include involving the environmentalist community. This will allow a plan to actually succeed without impact studies and other wastes of resources.

In other words defund the Sierra Club and other govt sanctioned organizations.
Posted on: 2011/2/28 16:39

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am finding more and more that groups, like the Sierra Club, are more of a hindrence, than a benefit.

As a nation, we must allow our selves to grow. Groups like the Sierra Club are anti-growth. It's that simple. If it isn't protected land, then it must be protected.

I remember reading something a few years back where the writer or the interviewed felt that things won't be right with earth until people were gone. Uh, ok. That's the ultimate in arrogent sacrifice, eh? Oh, the Human is so evolved, it must die. How inane is that?
Posted on: 2011/2/28 20:03

CentralCoaster Re: Lets talk about fuel and alternatives ..... [PR&C]
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I like electric cars. A focus needs to be on those and how to build an infrastructure that doesn't go obsolete every 5 years.

Electricity can be generated and stored and converted to motive power much more efficiently than what we do now.

We can also use domestic resources like nat gas, hydroelectric, nuclear, and alternative sources to produce it.

I have a problem with government subsidizing any of it though.

The other problem with foreign crude, is prices are not driven by supply and demand. But I don't know if it the speculation driven prices are a byproduct of a free market or due to the lack of a free market.

If I learned anything from the housing crash, it's dangerous to have speculators having such a reckless influence on the price on basic commodities.
Posted on: 2011/2/28 20:41

Huskerland
14742 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

If I learned anything from the housing crash, it's dangerous to have speculators having such a reckless influence on the price on basic commodities.

True that!
Posted on: 2011/2/28 21:28

Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I am finding more and more that groups, like the Sierra Club, are more of a hindrence, than a benefit.

Geez! I almost had coffee squirting out my nose!

We cannot drill or pump, build any more refineries, include additives to enhance fuel economy. Our cows need catalytic converters. Maybe if we looked at first removing the "enviro's" tax exempt status.......
Posted on: 2011/3/1 0:19

CentralCoaster Re: Lets talk about fuel and alternatives ..... [PR&C]
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well, it is a religion.

FWIW, I don't think churches should be tax exempt either.
Posted on: 2011/3/1 0:37

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Geez! I almost had coffee squirting out my nose!

We cannot drill or pump, build any more refineries, include additives to enhance fuel economy. Our cows need catalytic converters. Maybe if we looked at first removing the "enviro's" tax exempt status.......

I beleive in supporting the environment in simple, honest measures.

Good sewage. Responsible chemical disposal. Cars in proper running order. Recycling. These are all common sense things, however, those environmentalist groups take it too far. They are blocking development and growth at about every turn.

As soon as a new refinery is needed, they are there to stop it. A new power plant, same thing. A road or rail line. Enough already.
Posted on: 2011/3/1 1:06

Huskerland
14742 Posts

I just read in the paper this morning that there is a move to keep a new oil pipeline out of the sandhills portion of the State. It of course is the quickest route from Canada to the refineries down south. They say it threatens the Ogalala aquafer which would be like trying to go right through the redwoods in California. Of course it will cost millions more to go around so here we go, just like Andy is saying.
Posted on: 2011/3/1 1:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.