Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
232 user(s) are online (172 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vertte
Shorthand notation for Corvette Convertible. See also vert and vette...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

RonRock LT1 Timing Set with Electric Water Pump?
Guru Newb
5 Posts

I am working on my 95 LT1. I have removed the water pump gear drive and plugged the hole in the Timing Cover. So no need for the gear drive on the cam gear. I am trying to decide on a replacement Timing Gear and Chain set. It has been suggested that the Cloyes 9-3145 is a good route, but I have read several threads where the 95 timing cover may need extensive work to get the clearance for the chain.

Is there a better option than the 9-3145? I can do the grinding if necessary, but would rather not.

My engine will remain stock other than the Electric Water Pump.
Posted on: 2011/5/21 18:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Ultraman Re: LT1 Timing Set with Electric Water Pump?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14754 Posts

Welcome to the Guru Ron! Hang on, someone with knowledge of that will be tuning in soon I am sure.
Posted on: 2011/5/21 20:50

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

bogus Re: LT1 Timing Set with Electric Water Pump?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Yea, Ron! Welcome!

One option for the timing chain is the LT4 setup, but I don't remember how folks got past the cam drive issues.
Posted on: 2011/5/21 22:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

RonRock Re: LT1 Timing Set with Electric Water Pump?
Guru Newb
5 Posts

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Any suggestions how I can find out more about the LT4 setup?
Posted on: 2011/5/21 22:49

Stl94LT1 Re: LT1 Timing Set with Electric Water Pump?
Guru Newb
128 Posts

The LT4 Extreme duty timing set will work, but it's about three times the price of the Cloyes. Cloyes makes a 9-1145 timing set that is listed for the same application as the 9-3145. The 9-1145 is ~$57. Any conventional SBC timing set that is listed for an OEM roller cam should work. Summit brand has two, ~$27 and ~$38.
Posted on: 2011/5/21 23:06

Guru Newb
5 Posts

I like the price savings of those options. But more important is that the 9-1145 option would not require the grinding on the timing cover? I would assume that either of the options would work well for me in my stock engine.

What have you guys used? The 3145 worth the effort? Maybe I should just do it and quit thinking so much?
Posted on: 2011/5/21 23:14

Guru Newb
128 Posts

I just looked up the 9-1145 and it is a double roller, would probably require the same clearancing as the 9-3145. I converted my 94 to the Gen II opti using a 95 timing cover and a Cloyes 9-3145. It required very little clearancing. If you do go this route make sure you use the timing cover gasket with the timing cover when checking for clearance.
Posted on: 2011/5/21 23:21

Guru Newb
128 Posts

The Summit standard timing set probably wouldn't require clearancing and should work fine with a stock engine. But, how long is the engine going to be stock?

Summit Racing
Posted on: 2011/5/21 23:26

Guru Newb
5 Posts

I appreciate the help with this. Been a while since I've been inside an engine. These LT's are all new to me.

Part of my trouble deciding is that I have read that some have had to do a lot of grinding to get the clearance, but others say not much. Knowing my luck it will require a lot.

But on the other hand, I do have a 96 timing cover. I can see the way that it is cast would leave more room around the crank gear for clearance. Although it would require plugging the sensor hole (Crank Position Sensor I think) I could TIG in a plug and make it look OK, but probably the same amount of work to make it look good.
Posted on: 2011/5/21 23:42

Aboatguy Re: LT1 Timing Set with Electric Water Pump?
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

I been using Comp Cams double roller timing set on my 95 for about 5 years or so and it did not require clearancing.

Used a cloyes double roller on scranages 92 (converted to 95 front cover) same deal no clearancing required.

Mike
Posted on: 2011/5/22 0:00

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

RonRock wrote:
I appreciate the help with this. Been a while since I've been inside an engine. These LT's are all new to me.

Part of my trouble deciding is that I have read that some have had to do a lot of grinding to get the clearance, but others say not much. Knowing my luck it will require a lot.

But on the other hand, I do have a 96 timing cover. I can see the way that it is cast would leave more room around the crank gear for clearance. Although it would require plugging the sensor hole (Crank Position Sensor I think) I could TIG in a plug and make it look OK, but probably the same amount of work to make it look good.

The best fix for the crank sensor is well, the crank sensor. I would just screw one in and leave it at that. If you have one in there, that's your best plug. Trust me, no one on earth will ever see it!
Posted on: 2011/5/22 0:33

Guru Newb
5 Posts

There are two more reports of 95's with no clearanceing needed. That is just strange that some do need it and some don't.
Posted on: 2011/5/22 2:05

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Welcome to GM build quality... why drill a precision hole when a slot will do just fine.
Posted on: 2011/5/22 4:22

SpectatorRacing Re: LT1 Timing Set with Electric Water Pump?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I have the Cloyes 9-3145 double roller and it required a lot of clearancing. Seems to be a tolerance issue with the '95 timing covers.

I had a Cloyes single roller before that, I couldn't find the part number, but it required no mods. Stock motor? Get the single roller. I ran it on a ~475 HP 383 and after two years there was still very little stretch.
Posted on: 2011/5/22 13:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.