Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
322 user(s) are online (264 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Backspacing
A wheel dimension measured from the hub mounting surface to the inner sidewall of the tire, usually measured in Inches. It determines how much tire ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Another exhaust option
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Today I took the car down to a local shop that does custom exhaust systems. We put the car up on the lift and he pointed out some places that I messed up the other day when I reinstalled the system but I knew already that I had hastily set it back into place.

Anyhow here is the plan of attack

Setp 1) He is going to remove the X pipe and install my factory LT1 resonator, leaving the Magnaflow mufflers. I will see how this sounds and determine if the resonator helps to tone down the drone a little bit. If this doesn't work, on to step two

Step 2) leave the resonator in place and remove the Magnaflow straight through mufflers and replace with Flowmaster series 50 baffled mufflers and my old factory LT1 tips. I questioned his suggestion of the Flowmasters and he says that he uses these series 50 on many performance cars and they do not drone like the Magnaflows. Additionally, he said that the three inch Magnaflow straight through muffler like I have on my car is the loudest muffler that Magnaflow makes. Also it is the shortest can which also makes it louder.

If this fails... I will be welding up some factory LT1 mufflers behind the resonator and see what that does.

I think he will be able to fit me in on Tuesday to get this work done. Crossing my fingers. Although today when driving back the weather was nice and the car really did sound good while cruising along. Kinda hate to lose that wild rumble.
Posted on: 2011/7/1 20:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Another exhaust option
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I remember standing behind my car when it was on the dyno - at the time I had headers on it and the stock cat-back. Sounded mighty damn sweet.
Posted on: 2011/7/1 21:12

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

bogus Re: Another exhaust option
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Corsa.
Posted on: 2011/7/1 23:11

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

biggrizzly Re: Another exhaust option
4543 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Corsa.

Too much money! A little tinny sounding to me, I like a little deeper sound. Plus I don't need their pipes from the factory cats to the resonator and I 'd have to relocate my cats forward a bit. I know that its supposed to be God's gift to Corvette owners, but its still way overpriced in my opinion. I'm looking to get adequate sound without spending another thousand dollars.
Posted on: 2011/7/1 23:30

rklessdriver Re: Another exhaust option
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Have you looked at the Borla XS series mufflers? They are the quietest of the free flowing performance mufflers. Kinda high at $100 each.

BTW I was able to get my 92 out today and on the hwy....

I have to take back what I said in the other thread about the crusie noise level with the Corsa. It's noticeable but much quieter running down the road at 1500-1800RPM than it is stopped at it's 950-1050RPM idle. Honestly if the tranny and rear gear noise wasn't so bad (from the snubber bar) I don't think the exhaust would be a problem.

Of course I'm really not the guy to be giving out exhaust recomendations.... However your welcome to give me a call one day when your working down here and I'll let you take it for a ride and form your own opinion.
Will
Posted on: 2011/7/2 2:09

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

SJW Re: Another exhaust option
Guru
Central Maryland
51 Posts

If you have any interest in a B&B triflow exhaust, drop me a line. I have one I'll let go at a very reasonable price, if I don't have to ship it.

Live well,

SJW
Posted on: 2011/7/3 14:23

bogus Re: Another exhaust option
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
Corsa.

Too much money! A little tinny sounding to me, I like a little deeper sound. Plus I don't need their pipes from the factory cats to the resonator and I 'd have to relocate my cats forward a bit. I know that its supposed to be God's gift to Corvette owners, but its still way overpriced in my opinion. I'm looking to get adequate sound without spending another thousand dollars.

Remember - you are comparing the Corsa on a stock engine. Try that again with the 383.

I don't find the Corsa tinny at all. At idle it has a nice little burble, and at full song, it starts to rip like a NASCAR in car camera sound. The SOUND is there, the volume isn't.
Posted on: 2011/7/3 20:44

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Steve40th Re: Another exhaust option
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Here is a Flowmaster Cat back and a stock lt1 cat back. No cats, with long tubes and a 396 LT1.
I prefer the Flowmaster. I like the looks of the Borla/Magnaflow and COrsas, but too rich for my blood.
I may get some Flowmasters and put them on the back, keeping the factory resonator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3srZU1CyMRA
Posted on: 2011/7/4 20:20

4543 Posts

Just an update.

Step One complete. Here is my observations. It cost me $150 to have the exhaust guy to remove my X-Pipe and install the factory resonator. The results were negative. It did not remove any sound level at all and not much if any drone. I need to drive it a bit more to really determine that. If anything it sounds a bit worse. Not louder worse, but tone.

Step Two: Install factory LT1 mufflers in place of the Magnaflow. I have a set shipping up here from Louisiana in a couple weeks for $130 shipped. They look like new and have been painted flat black. I'll give this a shot. Then I will have a pseudo factory exhaust setup with Long tubes and high flow cats. I hope that does what I want.
Posted on: 2011/7/11 12:38

CentralCoaster Re: Another exhaust option
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The drone is from the mufflers. OEM mufflers are designed to reflect the sound waves back on themselves to cancel some of the noise out. OEM mufflers are designed to magnify it, and do it inside an echo chamber. Try that resonator with cats and no mufflers.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 3:44

Andrew Re: Another exhaust option
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

I'm curious as to how this turns out.

My car has Melrose LT headers to X pipe to Random Tech HF cats to PE "mufflers" with 3" pipe. It doesn't really have a drone sound, but it's still very loud inside the car. I heard the same system on a stock LT1 and it was much quieter. I think you will find that the noise is a trade off to a built 383, but hope this is wrong. I'd love to have more of a sleeper sound on my car, so please keep us posted!!
Posted on: 2011/7/12 3:54

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

4543 Posts

Quote:

Andrew wrote:
I think you will find that the noise is a trade off to a built 383, but hope this is wrong. I'd love to have more of a sleeper sound on my car, so please keep us posted!!

I wonder why this is. Because of the short distance and lack of space under the body for routing the exhaust system? Bunches of cars have large displacement motors and are not loud. Look at the old Mopar 383s and the Chevrolet 454 cars. They came from the factory with good sound but not too loud. I guess they just used those big old can mufflers to keep them quiet and all the Hot Rodders took them off and replaced them with glass packs and Hush Thrush Mufflers.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 12:19

Andrew Re: Another exhaust option
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

Andrew wrote:
I think you will find that the noise is a trade off to a built 383, but hope this is wrong. I'd love to have more of a sleeper sound on my car, so please keep us posted!!

I wonder why this is. Because of the short distance and lack of space under the body for routing the exhaust system? Bunches of cars have large displacement motors and are not loud. Look at the old Mopar 383s and the Chevrolet 454 cars. They came from the factory with good sound but not too loud. I guess they just used those big old can mufflers to keep them quiet and all the Hot Rodders took them off and replaced them with glass packs and Hush Thrush Mufflers.

I don't believe that displacement is the problem. My engine is just noisier, due to a little higher compression and taller cam with shorter duration. Even with stock exhaust, I'd hear the motor more. I could put stock manifold, cats, resonator, mufflers, and tubes back on, but the motor would be choked quite a bit. The motor would feel like you gave it a beer, but made it drink from a coffee straw.

As for the mopars and other muscle cars, the mufflers are also located in a very different place. The tubing after the mufflers are much longer than on a Corvette. This changes the tone and resonance characteristics. Kinda like comparing apples and oranges.
Posted on: 2011/7/12 15:54

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.