Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
181 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Driver Information Center
Also known as the DIC.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It's above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

sliding New starter?
Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

I'm having problems with a starter. It first started when I have finished my new engine. Itwas completely dead. I took it down and tried it on the bench and it started normally. Then I installed it back on and it started but the problem is that now, sometimes it just won't start. I think that it's temp related because it allways starts when it's cold. But as soon as it warms up, most of the times it won't start.

I don't know if the problem is too much heat or the fact that it's been sitting for a year. I've had headers on the car for 8 years now and it didn't seem to be a problem with the heat. But now I've added Canton RR oil pan that is also very close to starter.

I've had the started rebuilt but it didn't help.

So, my question is, do you think that new starter would solve the problem? Any of you running long tubes and 7qt oil pan? If you do, do you have any starter issues?

I was looking on ebay for a new one and I've found one (see the link below) but I'm not sure about the brand or is it any good!? What do you think? For the price, it's cheaper than rebuilding the old one.

New starter on ebay

EDIT: I've checked all the electrical connections and it's all good, so the problem must be in the starter itself.
Posted on: 2011/8/1 17:43

SpectatorRacing Re: New starter?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Have you tried tapping the starter with a hammer? It's possible that the brushes on the motor can become worn in a particular spot and whenever the motor comes to rest in the right spot there won't be connectvivity. Seems unlikely since your problem if only when the car is hot, but worth a try.

I have LT headers and a Canton pan and have never had trouble with my stock starter. It's one of the few things on the car that has never failed.
Posted on: 2011/8/1 18:00

sliding Re: New starter?
Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

Yes, when the situation happens that it wont start, tapping it actually helps and it starts. But I did have the starter rebuilt, and it didn't help.

Also, when it won't start, there is no clicking sound or any sound coming from the starter. But the lights on the dash fade a bit.
Posted on: 2011/8/1 18:02

1Fast04Vert Re: New starter?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Why not take it back to whoever rebuilt it and tell them you are still having problems?
Posted on: 2011/8/1 18:24

SpectatorRacing Re: New starter?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Is it possible your battery voltage is low? Or is something binding in the motor preventing the starter from turning it over? Can you hand crank the rotating assembly?
Posted on: 2011/8/1 20:20

Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

The voltage is OK and there is no problem with the engine. When the starter won't start, it acts like it's completely dead. Even the solenoid doesn't engage. I had a low battery situation once, but then the starter clicks (solenoid) but it can't turn the engine. This is not the situation now.

I don't think that I'll take it to the same shop again. They told me that they have changed the solenoid and that everything else is OK. Looks like they were wrong.

Does anybody have any experience with those no name starters, like in the link in my first post? It's a bit strange that new one is cheaper than remanufactured AC Delco. I wouldn't like to buy some crap that will die after a few months.
Posted on: 2011/8/1 21:04

istter1 Re: New starter?
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

When I first got my Vette I had simular problems . We thought it may have been heat. Installed a new starter simular problems in about 6 weeks. Got my money back on the new starter there was no core charge.
Installed a gear reduction starter from Summit racing and no problems for the last year and a half.

Good luck

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  IMG00118-20110711-0828.jpg (193.23 KB)
5144_4e371a3d6fb5d.jpg 2048X1536 px
Posted on: 2011/8/1 21:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Andrew Re: New starter?
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

When this happens, do you try to start it again and after a few attempts will start? If so, I had the exact same problem a year or so ago.

Long story short, the battery was the problem.

I thought it was the starter, so pulled and rebuilt the starter, but the problem continued. Pulled the battery, had it tested and it tested good. I still believed it was the battery so purchased a new one anyway and have not had another problem. In my case, the electric water pump, MSD box, and N2O progressive controller would pull a little more current than the battery could handle. You running some electronics that would pull current prior to starting?
Posted on: 2011/8/1 21:44

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

1Fast04Vert Re: New starter?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Go with a new NIPPONDENSO and you should not have any starter problems.
Posted on: 2011/8/1 22:28

vetteoz Re: New starter?
Senior Guru
453 Posts

The original Denso unit from my '89 is firing up my 12:1 383 fine.
When tuned correctly it doesn't even crank over ; fires as soon as the key is turned
Posted on: 2011/8/1 23:23

Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

I've found another guy that is supposed to be good in rebuilding starters and alternators, so I'll take it to him this time.

I did one more test today and I'm 100% sure that it's starter problem and not battery or wiring. It first cranked but after a 10 min drive and sitting for one hour or so, it wouldn't start again. So I turned the key to crank position (nothing happened) and my friend tapped the starter. As soon as he tapped it, it started.

If this rebuild won't work, I'll go with a new Denso unit, like suggested. Thanks!
Posted on: 2011/8/2 18:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.