Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

95Vert Torque values and installation of lugs...
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I'm not near my FSM right now but would anyone be able to tell me the wheel torque on the 95 convertible (if it differs from coupe?)

Further, general question in regard to putting wheels back on the car: are the lugnuts fed on by hand as opposed to an impact wrench? Then torqued down?

The reason I ask is that a while back I had a Supra with Lexus wheels. I needed new lugnuts and the place selling the lugs told me that you never install lugnuts with an impact. You feed them on by hand, then tighten, then tighten to torque. Just curious if that was some sort of bad advice or accurate. These were regular run of the mill lugnuts by the way. Been doing it like that ever since, but pn the Corvette, I just want to be sure one way or the other.
Posted on: 2011/8/2 19:56

"Send lawyers, guns and money..."
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Torque values and installation of lugs...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

They are correct.

The torque is 100 lbs.

UNLESS you have antisieze on the threads, then around 80 lbs.
Posted on: 2011/8/2 19:58

1Fast04Vert Re: Torque values and installation of lugs...
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

And tighten them in a criss cross pattern. I like to run them on dry and by hand, snug them up in a criss cross pattern and then go back and torque them. Then retorque them after about 50 miles.
Posted on: 2011/8/2 20:17

95Vert Re: Torque values and installation of lugs...
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Thank you, so I've been doing it right! I haven't been using antiseize on the lugs...is that recommended?
Posted on: 2011/8/2 20:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:
Thank you, so I've been doing it right! I haven't been using antiseize on the lugs...is that recommended?

If you live where things can rust, it's helps. But you do have to lower the torque value a bit.
Posted on: 2011/8/2 22:04

Matatk Re: Torque values and installation of lugs...
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

I don't use anti-seize. But they are correct, never use an impact to tighten the bolts. Screw on by hand to avoid cross threading, then tighten in criss cross manner, then tighten to 100 ft lbs with torque wrench.
Posted on: 2011/8/2 23:08

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I drove it over to the the shop where I've been getting my work done. Came recommended from a friend who has all his work done there, very price efficient and they have done a great deal of modifications to his Grand National (NASCAR exhaust with cutouts) and some of his more exotic foreign iron.

They put duals on my Mustang as well, nice job. But when I asked them about how they put on wheels and tires, he said they use an impact. I gave him the torque settings and asked him to thread them on by hand and tighten by hand.

Frankly, there's a tendency sometimes for information to get lost between the front counter and the bay as there was with my duals so I will have to check the lugs this afternoon when I get home. (criss cross is a given as I've always done that)
Posted on: 2011/8/3 14:37

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:
I drove it over to the the shop where I've been getting my work done. Came recommended from a friend who has all his work done there, very price efficient and they have done a great deal of modifications to his Grand National (NASCAR exhaust with cutouts) and some of his more exotic foreign iron.

They put duals on my Mustang as well, nice job. But when I asked them about how they put on wheels and tires, he said they use an impact. I gave him the torque settings and asked him to thread them on by hand and tighten by hand.

Frankly, there's a tendency sometimes for information to get lost between the front counter and the bay as there was with my duals so I will have to check the lugs this afternoon when I get home. (criss cross is a given as I've always done that)

The problem with inpacts is that nobody calibrates them (except Nascar/Indycar,etc.)

If a shop is using one, they're lazy. A C4 is 100lbs, a Silverado is 140 lbs, so, WTF???
It has to do with stud size. For instance, my racecar has small studs and the wheel torque is 35 lbs. More than that will stretch the studs and they will break. And no, the nuts don't come loose.
Repeated over tightening with an impact can cause the stud to fail.

I use an impact but just to spin the lugs to the first impact click which comes out to 50 lbs on my wrench.

I don't let people work on my vechiles but some times it's necessary. I had tires put on the Silverado last month, came home and retorqued the wheels. Why? the guy did use a torque wrench but he was using it incorrectly.
Posted on: 2011/8/3 14:54

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Oh, oh...your answer, Bill, brings up another question then in the nature of a tutorial...

I put an impact socket on my Craftsman torque wrench, set the proper value, in this case 100 ft lbs, put the socket on the lug and wrench until I hear the click then do another click. Sometimes I use an extension if I can't clear the fenderwell. I always make sure the socket sits on the lug without it being crooked.

Right or wrong?
Posted on: 2011/8/3 14:59

biggrizzly Re: Torque values and installation of lugs...
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have had shops put them on so tight I had to use an impact and my compressor on max psi to remove them! Thats crazy!

BTW - For the detail oriented person. The spare tire gets torqued to 80lbs!
Posted on: 2011/8/3 15:05

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:
Oh, oh...your answer, Bill, brings up another question then in the nature of a tutorial...

I put an impact socket on my Craftsman torque wrench, set the proper value, in this case 100 ft lbs, put the socket on the lug and wrench until I hear the click then do another click. Sometimes I use an extension if I can't clear the fenderwell. I always make sure the socket sits on the lug without it being crooked.

Right or wrong?

Right.

Extensions make no difference.

The reason I retorqued the Silverado wheels was that the guy didn't have the park brake set and the truck was moving back and forth while he torqued plus he was jirking the wrench.

The correct way is to support the top of the wrench (where the rachet is) with your left hand and smoothly pull the handle until it clicks. Supporting the rachet end keeps the socket aligned with the nut (to prevent screwing the nut up) and insured that the torque you're applying is the same as the wrench setting. Jerking the wrench can cause the wrench to click at a lower torque than the setting (probably not a very big deal, but I like to do things right).

Double clicking is fine since it doesn't tighten the nut any more than the origional torque.
Posted on: 2011/8/3 15:12

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

BTW - For the detail oriented person. The spare tire gets torqued to 80lbs!

Only if you carry a torque wrench to fix that flat on the highway.
Posted on: 2011/8/3 15:13

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Much as that information is simple and straightforward to implement, I'm wondering if it shouldn't go into the tech library...usefull little primer on the process!
Posted on: 2011/8/3 16:52

biggrizzly Re: Torque values and installation of lugs...
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

At one time I posted a list of torque values... but not sure if it was for all fasteners or just LT1 engine fastners. I'll have to do a search.
Posted on: 2011/8/3 16:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.