Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
231 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

89Vette Differential Lube...Ever use heavy weight?
Senior Guru
135 Posts

After kicking my 89 L98 up about 100rwtq/100rwhp, I had someone recommend stepping up to heavyweight differential lube to protect the Dana44. (I have a ZF6).

While it know the ZF6/Dana44 is probably the best stock drivetrain config for building power, the person recommending the lube weight swap was skeptical about the Dana's ability to handle the extra ummph.

On a somewhat related issue, I'd asked local mechanics about increasing differential lube weight in my 4x4. It's actually got 9" diffs but I've had (and heard) SOOOO many problems with 4x4 diffs wearing out that I asked the same question for that vehicle. Their answer was an emphatic "No". IIRC, their reasoning was heavier weight lube could lead to premature failure of the internal components of these posi pumpkins (other than the gears).

Now I'm gun-shy about this lubrication conversion for a street-driven performance upgrade.

Thoughts?
Posted on: 2011/8/11 16:16

bogus Re: Differential Lube...Ever use heavy weight?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Stick with the stock lube weight (80/90, IIRC) and use two bottles of diff additive. That comes straight from Gordon Killebrew.

I would be afraid that thicker oil would effect the diffs function. They do depend on viscosity to a degree...
Posted on: 2011/8/11 17:27

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Differential Lube...Ever use heavy weight?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Stick with the stock lube weight (80/90, IIRC) and use two bottles of diff additive. ..

Absolutely, we don't even run heavier lube in the racecars.
Posted on: 2011/8/11 21:03

89Vette Re: Differential Lube...Ever use heavy weight?
Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Stick with the stock lube weight (80/90, IIRC) and use two bottles of diff additive. That comes straight from Gordon Killebrew.

I would be afraid that thicker oil would effect the diffs function. They do depend on viscosity to a degree...

The same guy said GM's original additive was discontinued...Said if he could find it, it would be good as gold...then mentioned zinc. To be honest, the guy's kind of a blowhard (talking himself up all the time).

Anyway...is there anything to know on the additives available? What about using the synthetic stuff (in the correct weight)? IIRC, some say an additive may not be required.

What's your thoughts on lifespan and/or mileage for the rear gear lube? (years vs mileage)
Posted on: 2011/8/12 7:46

jonszr1 Re: Differential Lube...Ever use heavy weight?
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

wow dude thats kinda harsh about a great guy ,unless you are joking . bogus is a great guy thats helped alot of folks around here . as for the gear lube i run mobil 1 synthetic and do run the 85 -149 with 1 bottle of gm additive i change mine every 40k .
Posted on: 2011/8/12 12:26
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

flyboy Re: Differential Lube...Ever use heavy weight?
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
wow dude thats kinda harsh about a great guy ,unless you are joking . bogus is a great guy thats helped alot of folks around here . as for the gear lube i run mobil 1 synthetic and do run the 85 -149 with 1 bottle of gm additive i change mine every 40k .

Sometimes it helps to read the thread.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 12:51

Trae1976 Re: Differential Lube...Ever use heavy weight?
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Concerning the additive ... I don't know if GM has discontinued it, but it appears the parts suppliers still carry it. Zip has it for $12.95/bottle, part number POSI.

Quote:
flyboy wrote:
Sometimes it helps to read the thread.

Well maybe Andy is 89Vette's local mechanic.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 13:08

biggrizzly Re: Differential Lube...Ever use heavy weight?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

89Vette wrote:
The same guy said GM's original additive was discontinued...Said if he could find it, it would be good as gold...then mentioned zinc. To be honest, the guy's kind of a blowhard (talking himself up all the time).

89Vette is not talking about Andy Bogus in this statement.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 13:36

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

89Vette wrote:

89Vette is not talking about Andy Bogus in this statement.

Of course, I'm not!
Posted on: 2011/8/12 18:13

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, gee... thank's for having my back, Brad!

I have never heard that GM discontinued the LSD additive. They used it in so many cars - the Corvette, some (if not all) V8 F-bodies, cop cars with LSD, GTO's...

And what does zinc have to do with gear lube? It's not regulated like engine oil. It's not involved in combustion and that's the entire issue - zinc damages cats! Zinc in gear oil sounds required to deal with the shearing loads common in gearboxes and differentials.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 23:00

Senior Guru
135 Posts

Since it had been a couple of weeks since the exchange in question, I went back and reread what was said....

When I was discussing heavier-weight fluids with this other guy, I got into a discussion about aftermarket alternative vs GM labeled stuff. This other guy likes Royal Purple.

I was also curious about (and brought up) the possibility of using other limited slip additives (off-the-shelf) other than GM brand. THATS when he mentioned an old engine additive by GM he really like because of the zinc inside. Now that I reread it, he wasn't talking about using it in rear-ends...I don't think. It appears to be an abitrary analysis of additives in general -- and that sometimes there are good ones. (though he didn't say that directly)

Anyway....brands? What brands? If I use sythetic gear lube, what brand is best? Or...could I use a GL-5 from O'Reilly's? From what I understand, a GL-5 lube would have the highest shear force capabilities.

Could I put off-the-shelf posi additive with something like that? Is there a better synthetic?
Posted on: 2011/8/13 7:42

Senior Guru
135 Posts

BTW...Two mechanics at a local Chevy dealership also conveyed their recommendation to avoid using heavier-than-standard weight differential lube.

I wonder what's in an LS7???? For that matter, I wonder how it's rear end compares to a Dana44?
Posted on: 2011/8/13 7:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The rear in a C6 is made by Tremec, I think... and when the C6 Z06 came out, they had issues with the transaxles coming apart, mostly the junk sand castings of the rear diff housing. They fixed it... but the base coupe, AFAIK, still uses the junk castings.

This has been a dirty little secret of the C5, too. Many a drag racer blow up those things... makes you ask why Corvette Racing uses the XTrac transaxle...
Posted on: 2011/8/13 15:24

PLRX Re: Differential Lube...Ever use heavy weight?
Senior Guru
SoCal
212 Posts

For my 3.91 build up, the builder recommended me to use Lucas 85/140.
Posted on: 2011/8/13 16:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

We haven't had anyone recommend checking with Bob the Oil Guy...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Posted on: 2011/8/14 3:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.