Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
276 user(s) are online (224 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Bowling Green
Bowling Green, KY, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant since 1981. From 1954-1981, Corvettes were assembled in St Louis, MO.

The Natio...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Dads90 Chip advice..
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

I 'am considering a chip from pcmforless. My car is stock except for replaced injectors. (Ford SVO yellow tops) The reason, after months of driving I've had a slight miss. Nothing bad, just the nagging, every couple of seconds, miss. Done pretty much all you would consider. Wires, plugs, rotor, cap, didn't replace the coil (the gizmo on the top of dist.) replaced the CTS, IAC, reset idle, timing, no codes. Would I be wasting my money? , am I dreaming this might solve my problem?. What would the chip do for me, other turn my fans on at a requested temp ?
Posted on: 2008/2/6 3:13

jsup Re: Chip advice..
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
I 'am considering a chip from pcmforless. My car is stock except for replaced injectors. (Ford SVO yellow tops) The reason, after months of driving I've had a slight miss. Nothing bad, just the nagging, every couple of seconds, miss. Done pretty much all you would consider. Wires, plugs, rotor, cap, didn't replace the coil (the gizmo on the top of dist.) replaced the CTS, IAC, reset idle, timing, no codes. Would I be wasting my money? , am I dreaming this might solve my problem?. What would the chip do for me, other turn my fans on at a requested temp ?

I sent you a PM with details. I have a chip I have been running in my car before the mods.

If you want to try it, I'll send it to you. If you like it, keep it. If not, send it back.

See your PM with details.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 3:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Steve40th Re: Chip advice..
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I sent you a PM with details. I have a chip I have been running in my car before the mods.

If you want to try it, I'll send it to you. If you like it, keep it. If not, send it back.

The chip has to have the right ID on it to work, I believe.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 3:34

jsup Re: Chip advice..
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The chip has to have the right ID on it to work, I believe.

Not when I purchased it. I called him gave him the year, he programmed it and I picked it up.

Now, I am sure it's not as good as a dyno tune, but for a stock car, it ran great. My goal was simply to turn down the fan temp, which it does. It also advances the timing and changes the fuel delivery.

I had Chuck at Corvettes of Westchester look at the programming, he said it's close enough to what he would do that there's no point in having him do a new one. I believe he gets his chips from PCMFORLESS, but I can't be sure. Based on his representation I believe the original guy did a decent job.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 3:45

Dads90 RE:Chip advice..
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

I will give it a try. I tried to call Alvin at PCMforless today and got a recorded message. I want to talk to someone before I would send it in. Really don't even know how the process works. Its my daily driver and I can't be without it.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 3:59

jsup RE:Chip advice..
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Honestly, on a stock car, I think you'll be happy with this one. If not, no big deal. It's a five minute job to put in. Three 10MM nuts, and four 1/4 inch screws on the bottom.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 4:02

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Lettttttttts doooooooo ittttt !!!
Posted on: 2008/2/6 4:06

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

You can datalog it, or get someone who can, and send the files to PCM for less and ask him how much he can improve it....
Posted on: 2008/2/6 4:08

Woodstock RE:Chip advice..
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

When do you have the miss, during idle or while driving?
To swap 90 and 91 chips is ok, but you'll have to compare transmissions and axle ratio.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 12:43

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
When do you have the miss, during idle or while driving?
To swap 90 and 91 chips is ok, but you'll have to compare transmissions and axle ratio.

Oh crap, you're right. They're both 90s but Dad90 is a six speed, I have an auto. Won't work will it?
Posted on: 2008/2/6 14:49

Woodstock RE:Chip advice..
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Well, for diagnostic purposes, I swapped an auto 2.59 chip for an auto 3.07 axle ratio chip. It wasn't the chip, but a previously intermittent problem became a permanent code and helped troubleshooting the problem. I guess we got lucky on that one.

With auto probably being 2.59 and manual 3.45 axle ratio, I doubt it would make any sense for Dads90 to swap chips.
I would assume, using an auto chip in a manual set up is not so much a problem as vice versa.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 15:49

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Well, for diagnostic purposes, I swapped an auto 2.59 chip for an auto 3.07 axle ratio chip. It wasn't the chip, but a previously intermittent problem became a permanent code and helped troubleshooting the problem. I guess we got lucky on that one.

With auto probably being 2.59 and manual 3.45 axle ratio, I doubt it would make any sense for Dads90 to swap chips.
I would assume, using an auto chip in a manual set up is not so much a problem as vice versa.

Dads90, before I go through the trouble, see if you can find out. I have a 3.07 rear auto.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 16:48

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

I know its the Dana 44, but I can't see the ID plate on the rear end. It hidden by the spare tire tray. The miss is at idle. It's probably best I do some more checking before you send it to me. Thanks for the thought, jsup
Posted on: 2008/2/7 4:53

Midnight85 RE:Chip advice..
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

I realize you have replaced the wires
and related parts but before you go
any further, have you tried looking
at the wires in the dark? I mean total
darkness with no lights anywhere.
Try it and look for small arcs while
the car is idling. If you find any then
you have probably found your miss.
Posted on: 2008/2/7 17:40

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Quote:
I realize you have replaced the wires
and related parts but before you go
any further, have you tried looking
at the wires in the dark? I mean total
darkness with no lights anywhere.
Try it and look for small arcs while
the car is idling. If you find any then
you have probably found your miss.

I have tried this. In my garage at midnight, garage door open of course. No arcing going on. All this after a injector replacement.
Posted on: 2008/2/8 4:36

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

OK check the RPO codes in my car and I got the 3.33 ratio. Would this chip that Jsup is offering make any difference ? For diagnostics purposes if I put it in would I notice a smoother or even a rougher idle at least. I guess I'm looking for a solution in the programming/ECM department. I hope this makes sense. I don't want to spend big money on a chip and net nothing.
Posted on: 2008/2/9 3:36

Midnight85 RE:Chip advice..
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Have you talked to pcmforless?
I can't see where the chip would
be the cause of your miss.
Any reputable tuner would not sell
you a chip unless they thought it
would help.
Posted on: 2008/2/9 4:29

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Quote:
Have you talked to pcmforless?
I can't see where the chip would
be the cause of your miss.
Any reputable tuner would not sell
you a chip unless they thought it
would help.

I called PCMforless and they were out of the office. Got their recorder. I will probably call again. I only have the stock setup, no chip. The car runs good, I just can't figure this miss out, it will probably need to go to a local tuner.
Posted on: 2008/2/9 4:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.