Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
307 user(s) are online (267 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

1Fast04Vert HPS Brake Pads
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Any thoughts on these pads for a street car that is also going to see a few tracks days?
Posted on: 2012/2/19 15:34

dan0617 Re: HPS Brake Pads
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I run the Hawk HPS ferro carbon pads on my car on the street and I really like them. Quiet, and they stop on a dime. They don't fade out when hot like stockish pads do. I run them with a set of ebay slotted rotors. They work good to slow me down at the end of the dragstrip too, from 130+ down to 15 to turn onto the first access road. I keep telling myself to not brake as hard and just use the 2nd or last access road, but when going that fast, my brain automatically tells my right foot to make sure we make the first access road to leave room for error. That said, the brakes are holding up fine to the abuse.
Posted on: 2012/2/19 15:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

istter1 Re: HPS Brake Pads
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
I run the Hawk HPS ferro carbon pads on my car on the street and I really like them. Quiet, and they stop on a dime. They don't fade out when hot like stockish pads do. I run them with a set of ebay slotted rotors.

Andy I run the same Pads and they work great!
There are a lot of people that don't like them but we are all entilted to our opinion.
I bought mine through Summit a year ago.
Steve
Posted on: 2012/2/19 15:45

BillH Re: HPS Brake Pads
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Any thoughts on these pads for a street car that is also going to see a few tracks days?

Yea, Andy, get them.
If you're rennung stock pads, you'll see a BIG improvement.

Some guys like the HP+ better but, they aren't recommended bu Hawk for street use because thay can be noisy and take a bit of heat to work properly.

To do it right, you need to clean up the rotors first. I'd recommend getting the 2 inch Roto-Lok scotchbrite discs. You can find them at the autoparts stores made by 3M but actually, the Harbor Freight kit has a better disc holder.
The kit is about $15 and can be used with 2 in. sanding discs so, it's nice to have in your garage. It will work with a regular drill.

You need to clean the rotors to remove the adherent layer of brake pad material from the discs. This can be done on the car, remove the calipers and scotchbrite the discs, it's OK if the discs spin while you're doing it. Takes about 15 minutes to do all 4.

Then you need to do a proper bed in. this will put a new adherent layer of pad material on the discs. There are instructions on the Hawk box but I take it a bit further.
The first part is to slowly build up heat in the pads and discs. Make 3 runs from 30-40mph down to 10 mph with just light pedal pressure. Then make 2 or 3 runs with moderate pedal pressure. As you head home, make 2 very (Very) hard stops from 60-70 down to 10 mph. Don't completely stop the car on any of these runs.
Try to make the last, hard stop close to your driveway if possible. The park the car and let the brakes return to ambient. It's also a good idea to move the car a foot every couple of minutes to move the pads to a different location on the discs (about 5 times).
You should be able to smell the brakes when you return, that lets you know you got them hot enough.

Doing this will put the correct layer on the discs and go quite a ways in preventing "green pad fade".

At the track, the HPS will be much better than stock. But, you may experience some brake fade with these compared to HP+ or better pads. This is usuallt caused because newer Corvette drivers overuse the brakes at the track and build up too much heat.
I run my C4 with HPS when I take students out with no problems but I brake hard with short duration.

I'd also change the fluid to some good stuff if you haven't done so.
Posted on: 2012/2/19 16:30

bogus Re: HPS Brake Pads
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have used both. The HPS is good... and now I have the HP+. The + are noisy as hell... and dusty... but by God they stop.

They stop on a nickle and make change. You breathe on the pedal, and you can feel yourself coming off the seat. Just insane amounts of stopping power. They do need a bit of heat, but here in SoCal, it's not an issue. I have no idea how well they would work in sub 50F weather. I do know they get warm after a couple of touches, but even cold, they stop insanely well.

I use the HP+ with cryro-treated powerslot rotors in the front, and premium NAPA in the rear.
Posted on: 2012/2/19 18:29

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

1Fast04Vert Re: HPS Brake Pads
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, think I will make the change out before I do a track day. I am running Bosch ceramic pads now and from what I have read they would not be a good pad for a track event.
Posted on: 2012/2/19 18:46

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, think I will make the change out before I do a track day. I am running Bosch ceramic pads now and from what I have read they would not be a good pad for a track event.

Nope, ceramics are nice street pads but definately not for the track. And with ceramics, you need to get that layer off the discs so that you don't inbed it in the new pads.
Posted on: 2012/2/19 18:52

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Bill, I will likely be going with new rotors as well. Present rotors look and feel smooth, but they have over 100K miles on them.
Posted on: 2012/2/19 19:36

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Bill, I will likely be going with new rotors as well. Present rotors look and feel smooth, but they have over 100K miles on them.

Than the bedding in is even more important.
Generally, we bed in new rotors with used pads (of the same material).
But sometimes you can't do that so you just have to warm everything gradually, you'll still be OK with the procedure above. the "abrasive braking" on the lower speed applications will start to put a layer of pad material on the discs and the higher applications will help season the new rotors.

What you do want to do is keep the adherent even on the new rotors, so after the final high speed application, it's important that you try and not use the brakes much until they cool down. You definately don't want to keep the brakes applied at a stop light or have to use them hard to slow down to get into your driveway. If you have the hot brakes applied for a minute (like at a stoplight) you can screw up the thickness of the adherent layer causing the "warped rotor myth".

So, if you can coast into your driveway with a light application to just stop the car, you're good.
And driving at lower speed (40) with no braking will also cool the rotors down.

And with new rotors, it's important to move the car a foot or so (to move the pad to disc location) while the brakes are cooling down.

While this all sounds pretty intensive, the benifits in smooth rotors and properly bedded pads are worth it.

Side Note: If you have the pads on for a while doing normal
everyday driving and plan a track day, on the way to the track, rebed the pads in. With the brakes warmed up to "normal", do a couple hard higher stops if you can, then drive for a few miles without touching the brakes. this will smooth out the adherent layer some and bring the brake power back somewhat.
Posted on: 2012/2/19 20:08

jaa1992 Re: HPS Brake Pads
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:

If there is no ridge on those rotors USE THEM!!!!!
New rotors are not as good as older rotors.
I've seen my c5 buddies at the track change rotors a lot.
Me I'm still on 4 yr old rotors.

Where are you going for your track day?
That will tell the tale if the HPS will work.
Posted on: 2012/2/19 20:39

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Hi Jim,

I will be going to Atlanta Motorsports Park, the new track just outside of Dawsonville. I have been doing volunteer work for them and have 4 free track days to use this year.
It is still under construction, but will be having their first sessions in early March and will be fully functional by April/May. Looks like a well laid out track with a lot of elevation changes and about 1/2 mile longer than Road Atlanta.

How is your engine build coming along?
Posted on: 2012/2/19 21:21

Steve40th Re: HPS Brake Pads
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

I just rebedded my hps pads after months of boring driving. You forget that these pads bite hard when bedded properly and when hot. Ps, they stop squeeling when bedded properly,too
Posted on: 2012/2/20 1:55

Guru
187 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Hi Jim,

I will be going to Atlanta Motorsports Park, the new track just outside of Dawsonville. I have been doing volunteer work for them and have 4 free track days to use this year.
It is still under construction, but will be having their first sessions in early March and will be fully functional by April/May. Looks like a well laid out track with a lot of elevation changes and about 1/2 mile longer than Road Atlanta.

You are going to want at least HP+ all around for that track. Maybe even a DTC compound on the front.

Engine is comming along. I should have the valves and other parts needed to finish the first round of machine work (clean block, replace bent valves in the head, and replace freezeplugs and cam bearings.)
Calling around this week for the polish crank and balance work. Ordering the cam and oil pan. should have it together before mid-March and in by the end of March.
Posted on: 2012/2/20 15:17

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

jaa1992 wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:
Hi Jim,

You are going to want at least HP+ all around for that track. Maybe even a DTC compound on the front.

Engine is comming along. I should have the valves and other parts needed to finish the first round of machine work (clean block, replace bent valves in the head, and replace freezeplugs and cam bearings.)
Calling around this week for the polish crank and balance work. Ordering the cam and oil pan. should have it together before mid-March and in by the end of March.

Have you been up to Dawsonville to check it out?
Posted on: 2012/2/20 15:38

Guru
187 Posts

I've seen the track map so many times I can almost draw it with my eyes closed. Talked with Jeremy several times over the last few years. Last time I was at the location it was just a mud track.

Based on the elevation changes, expected speeds and number of braking zones before sharper turns it won't be brake eating like CMP, but you will need really good pads to brake from 110+ to 45 for a couple of turns.
HPS just aren't made to take that kind of heat.
The long straight you are going to be near top speed of your car right before you have to brake heavy for the turn.
Thats going to happen 15 times or more in a 30 min session.
There is enough braking in the rest of the lap that if you don't boil the brake fluid the HPS will fade real bad.

I've been in a c6 at VIR, HPS pads and by lap 3 he had to break real early for the left at the end of the long back straight. By lap 4 I had him going 50% hoping the pads would come back that session.

If I have a student tell me he is on HPS pads we do NOT get to 70% until the next to last session on the second day at any of the tarks I've been to. The HP+ are a little better and I'll get a student to max them out by day two of an event.

HPS for the street - no problem, wife has a couple of years on hers and they are barely worn.

I'm hoping to get on AMP in April or May depending on which group gets out there that needs an instructor.
Posted on: 2012/2/21 3:21

C4Williams Re: HPS Brake Pads
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
176 Posts

If anyone could Post the Link to buy these Pads. 85vette. i would appreciate it.
Posted on: 2012/2/21 3:28

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
176 Posts

And a good Set of Rotors
Posted on: 2012/2/21 3:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

C4Williams wrote:
If anyone could Post the Link to buy these Pads. 85vette. i would appreciate it.

www.summitracing.com for the pads, probably the best price you'll see.

Rotors - avoid drilled rotors like the plague. Your best bet is stock type rotors from someone like NAPA.
Posted on: 2012/2/21 4:15

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The phrase I have to use with many Corvette drivers, like a broken record, is "Get off the brakes", lap after lap.
Posted on: 2012/2/21 4:17

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
176 Posts

Thanks for the advice, napa is one of my new best friends, and sounds good on summit as well!
Thanks BillH
Posted on: 2012/2/21 4:31

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

C4Williams wrote:
Thanks for the advice, napa is one of my new best friends, and sounds good on summit as well!
Thanks BillH

No problem, make sure you bed them in properly.
Posted on: 2012/2/21 4:34

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
176 Posts

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-16-052/ is what i am looking at any Confirmation would be awesome. They have quit a list!
Posted on: 2012/2/21 4:35

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

C4Williams wrote:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-16-052/ is what i am looking at any Confirmation would be awesome. They have quit a list!

Nope, those are ceramic, about as crappy as stock pads.

I don;t know what year you have,

BUT----Hang On to Your Wallet and:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HWK-HB111F-610/
Posted on: 2012/2/21 4:41

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
176 Posts

Learn something everyday. Thanks. And ya thats a shocker but should last a Long time!
Help me out at Napa and i owe you a Christmas Present
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Res ... =0&D=rotors&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0
Posted on: 2012/2/21 4:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

C4Williams wrote:
Learn something everyday. Thanks. And ya thats a shocker but should last a Long time!
Help me out at Napa and i owe you a Christmas Present
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Res ... =0&D=rotors&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

I'd probably just go with the premimums, the Hi Preformance and ultra have drilled holes, something to avoid.
Posted on: 2012/2/21 4:52

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
176 Posts

Excellent,Thanks again, hoping to have some pics up soon of my Two year Project. Finishing up some details and still learning!
Posted on: 2012/2/21 4:55

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

BTW - 4 years on my HPS with a bunch of track time, plenty left.
Posted on: 2012/2/21 5:01

dan0617 Re: HPS Brake Pads
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I went with slotted (not drilled) rotors from Ebay (from Hawks, no relation to Hawk brake pads) and they work great for me. I can't stress enough what was said above, BED THEM IN! This is a must. I only bedded mine in once, when I installed them, and they are fine still.
Posted on: 2012/2/21 13:13

Guru
187 Posts

Full disclosure I'm a Carbotech kind of guy.
Shoot I'm even looking for them to make an XP8 for my daily driver 2012 Camaro

Until I get the big brakes I use XP12/10 combo with a bias spring.
Posted on: 2012/2/21 14:54

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Andy might have posted this but:
Posted on: 2012/2/21 23:05

Matatk Re: HPS Brake Pads
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I like raybestos professional grade for rotors, as well as napa. I use them for pads on my DDs, but if you want hawks for the vette I understand.
Posted on: 2012/2/22 1:39

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I like raybestos professional grade for rotors, as well as napa. I use them for pads on my DDs, but if you want hawks for the vette I understand.

Well, C4 brakes are lousy no matter what you do to them so getting better pads helps, still lousy but better than stock.
Posted on: 2012/2/22 2:37

bogus Re: HPS Brake Pads
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

My, Bill... that track has some pretty nasty runoff zones... I mean... bulldozers and shit.

As for rotors, I did Powerslot Cryo treated. They are holding up very well. I got mine from Tire Rack. Which is a sponsoring vendor! Click the Tire Rack picture on the left nav and order away! I also got my pads from them.

NAPA rotors are VERY good. And a good price.

Check Rock Auto for rotors, too. Remember, there is a 5% discount code over in Corvette Chat!
Posted on: 2012/2/22 23:59

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
My, Bill... that track has some pretty nasty runoff zones... I mean... bulldozers and shit.

Ahhh, The term is "under construction".

I'm sure that when Andy drives there it'll be purddy, especially with his beautiful tire walls.

Looks like a fun track.

I'll be on the racetrack in 10 days myself.
Posted on: 2012/2/23 0:27

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

The track is coming together, but still a lot to be done. It has some very steep terrain and the amount of underground storm water piping, catch ponds, etc is just amazing. As is the $$$ in the ground and grading before they even started on the track itself. Jeremy said the main track paving is 100% as of today, the cart track about 50% and the parking and garage area paving is maybe 10%.

But he did post my picture on facebook.
Posted on: 2012/2/23 0:43

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
176 Posts

Track looks awesome. Keep two hands on the wheel as long as possible from my view !
Posted on: 2012/2/23 3:25

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

C4Williams wrote:
Track looks awesome. Keep two hands on the wheel as long as possible from my view !

I smack my students in the head if they take their hand off the wheel (except to shift).
Posted on: 2012/2/23 3:41

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
176 Posts

I guarantee it! Stay calm Bill

Patience is a virtue
Didnt know how to delete a comment so i posted again lol
Posted on: 2012/3/5 22:04

Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
176 Posts

I guarantee it! Stay calm Bill
Patience is a virtue
Posted on: 2012/3/5 22:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.