Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
280 user(s) are online (217 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

bigmoe Washing the engine bay
Senior Guru
Manitoba
118 Posts

I'd like to spray my engine bay down with some mild detergent and hose it off. I'm really paranoid of getting the opti wet. Is there some way to cover it and protect it? (94 LT1)
Posted on: 2012/4/1 4:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Washing the engine bay
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Be cautious with getting the opti wet. Some guys will cover the opti with a plastic bag. Most others will warn not to use a hose around it at all. It's been recommended to just use a lot of paper towels and a cleaner such as simple green to cut through the grease.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/4/1 5:00

BillH Re: Washing the engine bay
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bigmoe wrote:
I'd like to spray my engine bay down with some mild detergent and hose it off. I'm really paranoid of getting the opti wet. Is there some way to cover it and protect it? (94 LT1)

Not a big deal. I do it to my 92 once a year.
Even though the 94 Opti is vented, it still gas the GM paper gasket between the can & body so, as Matthew said, bag it.

A plastic grocery bag is about the right size. Put over the opti then use rags on top of the opti. Push the rags in to all the crevices lightly with a screw driver. They will hold the bag inplace and soak up some of the water.

Before you do that, warm the engine to 100-120 water temp.

Depends on how dirty your engine is but if there's grease/dirt in places, remove most of it with a stiff nylon brush (harbor freight) or even a toothbrush.

Foam degreasers work well BUT it's best to keep them off rubber parts (they tend to turn rubber white). Do not buy the Gunk brand, it stinks and the smell will last for weeks in the car. A decent brand is Tech at Walmart.

Pull the plastic injector covers and clean them separately.

Spray the Simple Green on but try to not get much on the electrical connectors. Let the SG work for a bit but don't let it dry. If it starts to dry, hit it with a bit more SG.

Since SG drys, I's suggest doing the motor first and then doing everything else, wheel wells, etc.

Use a light fan spray with the hose, nothing more. The hose isn't meant to power wash off any crud. DO NOT spray directly at the opti.

If you have compressed air, blow the water off. You can also use a shop vac on "blow" but you have to empty it and remove the filter first so that you don't blow crap out of the vacuum on to the motor.

Then start the engine and bring it up to normal temps.

If you really want to do the engine bay right, check the battery tray and below with a flash light before you start. Look for any white powder (it's probably there). If it's there, pull the battery and wash everything down with bakingsoda/water. If your battery has the original square foam thing that goes around the battery - take it off and throw it away (it's full of battery acid).

Posted on: 2012/4/1 14:15

pianoguy Re: Washing the engine bay
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

This is the safest method ;-)

Resized Image
Posted on: 2012/4/1 15:21

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

bigmoe Re: Washing the engine bay
Senior Guru
Manitoba
118 Posts

Okay, I'm going to try wrapping a plastic bag around and stuffing around it with rags. It's not greasy just really dusty and the last time it was done I think someone used armorall on it so the dust is all stuck to it.
Posted on: 2012/4/3 18:30

bogus Re: Washing the engine bay
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Add to Bill's comments about the battery.

Remove the tray, too. Lots of rust can form on the chassis rail under the battery. Hit it with a steel brush, taking off as much of this rust as you can, then repaint.

I recommend the Dupli-Color engine paints, using grey primer and then follow with semi-gloss black. Let that side of the car sit in the sun for a while before getting it wet - like an hour. At least. I would consider painting last, anyway.

Check your battery connectors for corrosion up the line, too.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 19:49

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, one last thing... when you replace the opti next, regardless of brand, really, use a skim coat of copper RTV over the cap to body seal of the opti. This will help keep moisture out.

Also, install a small rubber hose from the water pump weep hole, so it will direct moisture outside the area of the opti. This hose can be directed down, next to the opti and pass it completely.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 19:57

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bigmoe wrote:
Okay, I'm going to try wrapping a plastic bag around and stuffing around it with rags. It's not greasy just really dusty and the last time it was done I think someone used armorall on it so the dust is all stuck to it.

Cool, just don't spray the rags/bag.
Posted on: 2012/4/3 21:07

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I recommend the Dupli-Color engine paints, using grey primer and then follow with semi-gloss black.

+1 but I very much recommend Dupli-Color Hi-Temp Ceramic semi-gloss black.

It's the only s-g black I'll use. Painted my exhaust with it 4 years ago, looks like new. Also did the battery tray.
Posted on: 2012/4/3 21:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
oh, one last thing... when you replace the opti next, regardless of brand, really, use a skim coat of copper RTV over the cap to body seal of the opti. This will help keep moisture out.

If it's a MSD, it's o-ring sealed and works extremely well.
Posted on: 2012/4/3 21:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

If it's a MSD, it's o-ring sealed and works extremely well.

Same with the DynaSpark. It is very well sealed.
Posted on: 2012/4/5 23:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.