Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
208 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C4
Abbreviation for the 4th generation of Corvettes built from 1984-1996....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

crazytigr96vet383 Dana 36 question
Guru Newb
Covington , ga
8 Posts

so i just found out i got the 259 gear,in my 96 automatic. my next question is will the dana 36 hold up if i change the gears to 373? I believe my car will dyno out at around 400 rwhp once im done.im at 365 now with a stock revlimeter and stall convertor.
Posted on: 2012/6/16 19:27
Edited by Matatk on 2012/6/17 2:57:37

Matatk Re: Dana 36 question
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

The Dana will accept the 3.73 if you get the right ring and pinion kit. The D36 will handle the power but it will be spinning...especially with 3.73s or 3.54s. Once you put sticky tires (ie, DRs or slicks) it will blow up. You'll need a D44 swap for big power and sticky tires.
Posted on: 2012/6/17 2:59

bogus Re: Dana 36 question
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It will... but not for very long. A couple of hard launches and I think you will be seeing oil.

The D36 is fragile, and, to be honest, I think the 3.73 gear is a bit much for the 4L60E.

I would consider a D44 with 3.42 gears. Those are the stock 6spd gear, and with your OD ratio, would still cruise ok... lemme think here... 5th gear is .76, 6th gear is .51... at 75mph, my 92 is turning about 1800 RPM in 6th, and 2500 in 5th.

Now, your OD is .64, IIRC, which splits the difference between my 5th and 6th gears. In short, I would think that a 4L60E with 3.42 gears would spin at about 2200 RPM at 75mph.

Not bad... not great, but not bad.
Posted on: 2012/6/17 3:01

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly Re: Dana 36 question
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have the old Dana 36 in mine. When I put the 383 in the car I had PeteK build the transmission for me and had one of the guys I know at Sport Chevrolet rebuild the dif with new Richmond 3.56 gears.

I estimate that I have about the same power you are suggesting and the only problem I have at this time is traction. I have some three year old 315 Sumitomos on the rear and they just spin like crazy with moderate pressure of the gas peddle.

Like Andy said - with sticky tires and hard launches it might not hold up so well.

Bottom line... If you're an old puss like me, then the D36 will probably be OK for you. If you are young and pushed to destroy, then I would upgrade to the D44.
Posted on: 2012/6/17 11:16

mfi Re: Dana 36 question
Guru Newb
Long Island
5 Posts

I've done a ton of research about this, just got a 3.07 rear to replace my 2.59..my motor is stock so I'm not worried about it. If you go with anything higher than 3.07 you will have to replace the speedometer gear at the tail end of the tranny and the one in the VSS.no big deal but its harder to get the speedometer right. You will also be buzzing pretty high at highway speeds, I've read 3.73 is pretty much the limit with these autos...changing to a Dana 44 is a big job, way more involved but will handle anything..all depends on what kind of driving you do..for stoplight wars the 3.73 will be great but will not last too long..
Posted on: 2012/7/3 17:19

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

MFI - calculating the correct gears to use actually is pretty easy. If I recall, Kevin has the chart listed on his website.

I honestly don't think a D44 swap is much more difficult than a D36 swap. You have to change (or redrill) the c-beam and use a shorter driveshaft as well as the D44 batwing. That's about it. If you're pulling the D36 out for a gear swap or pumpkin swap you've got 90% of the work done already.

3.07 is pretty much ideal for a tpi motor, the lt1s with the higher revs can benefit more from a gear like 3.73.
Posted on: 2012/7/4 1:57

RickAnthony Re: Dana 36 question
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

mfi wrote:
I've done a ton of research about this, just got a 3.07 rear to replace my 2.59..my motor is stock so I'm not worried about it. If you go with anything higher than 3.07 you will have to replace the speedometer gear at the tail end of the tranny and the one in the VSS.no big deal but its harder to get the speedometer right. You will also be buzzing pretty high at highway speeds, I've read 3.73 is pretty much the limit with these autos...changing to a Dana 44 is a big job, way more involved but will handle anything..all depends on what kind of driving you do..for stoplight wars the 3.73 will be great but will not last too long..

I did the 3.75 gear set in mine from richmond.. waste of money on a dana 36. The 3.54 gears is what I would go with if your keeping the dana 36. I think they will hold up fine if installed and properly broken in,and of course not running slicks all the time...

I'm content for now with my 3.07 diff (mine too had the 2.59 first thing I really didn't like about my car when I bought it, couldn't even spin the tires from a stop with it)

Keep in mind, the larger the ring gear the smaller the pinion. I think the larger gear sizes (over the 3.07) fail often becuase the pinion cannot handle the load on it. I've seen this a few times, it's how my 3.73 set failed, and just recently a 3.54 set on a diff that was a rebuilt unit the customer had purchased from one of the catalogue companies, where he lost a good portion of one of the teeth. It was still driving though loud like this, he probably got 50K miles or so out of that diff though..

FYI 94-96 with flash programable PCM does not need the speedo gears changed ect. You can flash with with either a hand held programmer or tuning software via laptop such as tuner cat, lt1 edit ect...

-=Rick
Posted on: 2012/7/4 2:00
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

RickAnthony wrote:
[quote]

I did the 3.75 gear set in mine from richmond.. waste of money on a dana 36. The 3.54 gears is what I would go with if your keeping the dana 36. I think they will hold up fine if installed and properly broken in,and of course not running slicks all the time...

I'm content for now with my 3.07 diff (mine too had the 2.59 first thing I really didn't like about my car when I bought it, couldn't even spin the tires from a stop with it)

Keep in mind, the larger the ring gear the smaller the pinion. I think the larger gear sizes (over the 3.07) fail often becuase the pinion cannot handle the load on it. I've seen this a few times, it's how my 3.73 set failed, and just recently a 3.54 set on a diff that was a rebuilt unit the customer had purchased from one of the catalogue companies, where he lost a good portion of one of the teeth. It was still driving though loud like this, he probably got 50K miles or so out of that diff though..

FYI 94-96 with flash programable PCM does not need the speedo gears changed ect. You can flash with with either a hand held programmer or tuning software via laptop such as tuner cat, lt1 edit ect...

-=Rick

Good advice and thanks for pointing out the PCM flash issue, Rick, I forgot about that
Posted on: 2012/7/4 2:51

RickAnthony Re: Dana 36 question
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Good advice and thanks for pointing out the PCM flash issue, Rick, I forgot about that

That's ok Matt, I work on these all the time and I forget things as well as learn things new all the time...
Posted on: 2012/7/4 4:28
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

vetteoz Re: Dana 36 question
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

mfi wrote:
I've done a ton of research about this,.
changing to a Dana 44 is a big job, way more involved

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting/images/parts/93.gif

Possibly one of the easiest diff swaps going ; < 1/2 a day for one man with a floor jack and some axle stands
At least a hour faster and a lot cleaner than just doing a diffhead swap in a D36
Posted on: 2012/7/4 8:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.