Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
279 user(s) are online (238 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

corvetteronw She snarted, farted, coughed and..........
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Started to leak gasoline from the fuel rails like a mofo. 91 L98
Just to get it running so I could sell it and move on my helpers and I swapped the LT1 intake conversion for a refurbished TPI system.
We finally got it together after a laughable episode with a stock style distributor. The Frick and Frack garage fools are definitely still alive and well. Sold the MSD small cap distributor and purchased a NAPA rebuilt stock one. Found that it did not include a coil, ESC module/pigtail, coil cover or ground strap. The instructions say to use your old parts - I have no old parts as I sold everything on the Forum. I had to source junkyard parts for the rest. Who does not include a ground strap with a distributor?????
My memory was/is fried so I test fit the rebuilt dizzy while waiting for the remainder of the parts. I placed it so the square part of the cap was on the passenger side and cut my 8mm blue Summit wires to fit along with nice looms - it looked great! Got all the parts together later and discover that the cap should have the square section on the driver's side instead. Now some of the plug wires are too short when I get the dizzy installed and lined up correctly so #1 cyl will fire on compression stroke. I go back to my old wires. This cost me several days.
The Bosch III injectors only have a few hours on them from the previous TPI setup (which I had sold on the Forum). I put new O rings on the fuel rail side and inspected the intake manifold side O rings to make sure they had no nicks or burrs. Each injector has 1 new O ring on top and 2 good O rings on the bottom. The fuel rails also have new O rings installed along with new O rings for the FPR. New bolts for the fuel rail, anti seize on the bolts and all 4 torqued to spec.
Then I filled her with coolant, went over my check list one last time, double checked that nothing was in the way and everything was hooked up. I got the fire extinguisher ready and hit the ignition switch. Note that we had previously turned the ignition on to make sure there were no fuel leaks the week before. It cranked a bit, started to catch and then my helper said, "Cut it off - fuel is spraying every where!"
On closer inspection it appears that the O rings at the fuel rail are indeed leaking. I guess our initial test the week before did not pressurize the rails or we would have caught this. The tank had been drained of old fuel, lines blown out and a new filter installed - guess the few seconds that the pump ran did not fill the system.
Only #5 and #4 injectors were leaking. The only clue to this problem is that the upper O rings I used were brown and just a bit thicker than the black Bosch O rings. I really thought I had been extra careful by lubing them with Vaseline first and plugging each injector in straight and not twisting them as I put them in the fuel rails. They appeared to be quite snug and the fuel rail were smooth and had no burrs at their openings.
So - almost got the fuel rail off (gave up for the night as it was late) except for the bolts that hold the inlet/outlet pipes in place due to some interference with the L shaped throttle body bypass I used. I will finish taking it off tomorrow, inspect the O rings again and buy some more. I purchased the last set from Auto Value so I will go to NAPA for this new set. Hopefully I can get the stock Bosch O rings this time instead of the blister pack with the brown rings and a bunch of extra odd ball rings.
Fun in the garage continues. Oh yeah - the neighbor who was interested in my car a few weeks ago bought a boat so no longer can afford my car! This just means I get to drive it down to Florida and maybe use it a while before my Alzheimer's gets too bad for me to drive. That's the way to go out now!!!! The lord does move in mysterious ways.
Posted on: 2013/8/23 2:28

corvetteronw Re: She snarted, farted, coughed and..........
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Just ordered some new blue wires off the Bay so I will install those later. Should be purty as we used a power washer on the engine bay, I cleaned up the chrome valve covers, the TPI system had been hot tanked and I sprayed it with new correct-color paint. I also put on new hoses, water pump, underdrive pulleys and got rid of the AIR pump and diverter by replacing it with a chrome elim kit from Mid America. I also removed the busted up wire looms that run along the outer edge of the intake manifold and used some large, blue wire protectors that match my blue Summit Racing plug wires. All that along with my smoothie air bridge make the engine bay quite nice. I won't win any car shows but it is C L E A N !
After we get her started the plans are to sand down and repaint the nose and tail to match the rest of the Steel Blue Metallic body.
Posted on: 2013/8/23 2:41

TommyT-Bone Re: She snarted, farted, coughed and..........
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Instant Karma's gonna get you, Ron. You have to believe.
Posted on: 2013/8/23 2:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Posted on: 2013/8/23 2:47

Matatk Re: She snarted, farted, coughed and..........
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good luck, Ron. For what it's worth I bought a pack of felpro replacement o-rings at o'reilly's when I needed them.
Posted on: 2013/8/23 4:07

Woodstock Re: She snarted, farted, coughed and..........
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Did you try just to pull down the injectors into the manifold, so the 3rd o-ring sits firmly on the edge?
If the injectors are too high in the rail, fuel can pass bellow the upper o-ring. The bores in the rail are cut way too deep and the edges are razor sharp.
Posted on: 2013/8/23 10:56

pianoguy Re: She snarted, farted, coughed and..........
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Sounds like you're making great progress - hope the new o-rings do the trick!
Posted on: 2013/8/23 12:36

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Early this morning I ordered a set of O rings from Jon at FIC. I KNOW those will work.
Thanks for the tip about carefully seating them into the fuel rail first. I will be extra careful this time around and enlist the aid of a helper.
I guess it might even be worthwhile to put a third O ring on the manifold side if it feels like they are still setting too high. Not sure if there is room for that though.
I am pretty sure the FIC supplied O rings will do the trick though. It was only $1 for 8 of the little buggers. The Express mail is the killer though.
Goal is to get her back on the road in safe driveable condition whatever the cost.
Posted on: 2013/8/23 20:24

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Jon shipped the O rings within 45 min of me ordering. That guy is amazing!
Posted on: 2013/8/23 20:26

EngineDoctor Re: She snarted, farted, coughed and..........
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

Keep up the good work Ron ! She's gettin there.
BTW....My girlfriend's Dad has Alzheimer's too, goin on TEN years now & he's hanging in there!
Posted on: 2013/8/23 21:10

bogus Re: She snarted, farted, coughed and..........
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
Early this morning I ordered a set of O rings from Jon at FIC. I KNOW those will work.
Thanks for the tip about carefully seating them into the fuel rail first. I will be extra careful this time around and enlist the aid of a helper.
I guess it might even be worthwhile to put a third O ring on the manifold side if it feels like they are still setting too high. Not sure if there is room for that though.
I am pretty sure the FIC supplied O rings will do the trick though. It was only $1 for 8 of the little buggers. The Express mail is the killer though.
Goal is to get her back on the road in safe driveable condition whatever the cost.

I use left over mobil 1 5-30 in my little oil can... and that's what I use to lube up the o-rings. easy.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 22:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

pianoguy Re: She snarted, farted, coughed and..........
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I use left over mobil 1 5-30 in my little oil can... and that's what I use to lube up the o-rings. easy.

I use liquid soap on mine, works great.
Posted on: 2013/8/23 22:38

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.