Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
222 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  RPO
Regular Production Order. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

screamin_conure '92 blower motor / evaporator cleaning.
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Howdy Gurus,

I've been putting up with the problem of fairly weak air flow from my A/C system for a while now and I was looking to do something about it. The air at the vents is noticeably cold, and it appears all of the vacuum lines are working normally as when I change the settings on the C68 head unit, I can hear things happening inside the dash and can feel the air change to the proper outlet. When I set the temp to 60 degrees, choose recirc and crank the fan up to 10, there's just not a whole lot of air moving out the vents.

So I thought checking the blower motor / fan / evaporator for cleanliness would be a good place to start. Rock Auto has new blower motor/fan assemblies dirt cheap, so I'm half tempted to just pick up a replacement: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.p ... 814606&cc=1041310&jsn=425.

My question is, has anyone ever successfully tackled cleaning up their evaporator / evaporator housing without having to entirely remove it? Since the system has been holding a charge now for a few years since replacing the condenser, I was looking to try to do this without having to have the system emptied and remove the evaporator entirely. Just looking for any tips / gotchas.

Thanks!

Ron
Posted on: 2016/6/21 18:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: '92 blower motor / evaporator cleaning.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

The ac in these cars is notorious for being "weak" as far as the speed of the blower. I have the same complaint with mine. I'd say you're just experiencing what is normal.
Posted on: 2016/6/22 11:34

screamin_conure Re: '92 blower motor / evaporator cleaning.
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

In thinking about this, you're probably right. I'm definitely not an engineer, but just looking at various pics of the fan / blower motor assembly, they don't look like they would move a whole lot of air. I guess maybe with the small cabins these cars have, GM figured they didn't need a higher volume fan. I'm guess I'm just used to the fans in my Toyotas.
Posted on: 2016/6/22 17:25

GOLDCYLON Re: '92 blower motor / evaporator cleaning.
Guru Newb
Peoria, Arizona
23 Posts

Just pick up the replacement blower mine was so bad in my 91 you could change the pitch of the motor by knocking on the outside of the housing. Figure it after more than 20 years of faithful service the motor will just wear out. This is an easy install. Just relax the inner fender to allow the unit to be pulled out of the housing with the squirrel cage and replace. Be mindful of the rubber blower housing drain vent underneath the unit and its orientation as it allows moisture to leaving the housing to fall to the pavement. Make sure you vacuum out the blower housing while you are there it will probably have dirt, leaves and debries in there so take the time to clean it out in there.

I have a bonus trick for you while you are there to make your air colder. Take a flashlight and look at the heater core while you are in there. If you notice a gap between the heater core and the wall of the housing place foam material like that grey egg crate material you see used to protect computer hardship drives back in the day into that gap. It won't allow outside air to bypass the heater core and the result is a few degrees cooler. Of AC air. Just search my name on the big forum under goldcylon as I have pics and details in there. This is a one beer fix. GC
Posted on: 2016/7/9 16:16
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014

Resized Image380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads,Jeal headers,/Corsas/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, HID Projectors,/R Baer Eradaspeed Rotors with Wilwood 6 piston front calipers

Schrade Re: '92 blower motor / evaporator cleaning.
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Good info there Darryl; PM sent there...
Posted on: 2016/7/9 19:59

Resized Image

GOLDCYLON Re: '92 blower motor / evaporator cleaning.
Guru Newb
Peoria, Arizona
23 Posts

Quote:

Schrade wrote:
Good info there Darryl; PM sent there...

Thanks Chuck
Posted on: 2016/7/10 0:05
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014

Resized Image380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads,Jeal headers,/Corsas/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, HID Projectors,/R Baer Eradaspeed Rotors with Wilwood 6 piston front calipers

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.