Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

TommyT-Bone, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z15
A Collector Edition, RPO Z15.

1996 only.

Silver with black, red or grey interior.

LT1/A4 or LT4/ZF6....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Ramrod 96 Rear Bottoming Out
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Around 80 mph and hit a small hump car bottoms out, still have control and no handling problems. Now, I have new KYB's till I find better, lowered bout 1". Will a new spring help, and after market higher rated spring, better shocks, coil overs? I only drive on weekends and would like to get her on the track.
Posted on: 2008/5/20 16:29

Steve40th Re: 96 Rear Bottoming Out
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Better springs would help. Also, after lowering did you cut the rear bump stops a little, about 1/2-3/4 inch?
Mines lowered to 26 inches(groung to center of top of whel arch) in the rear and I never bottomed out with Bilsteins or my QA1's. I just put in the stiffer ZO7 spring package and it is stiffer. I doubt I will bottom out unless its a big bump at speed.
Posted on: 2008/5/20 17:37

bogus Re: 96 Rear Bottoming Out
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ramrod - what conditions make it bottom out? Speedbumps or just highway driving?
Posted on: 2008/5/20 19:39

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Ramrod Re: 96 Rear Bottoming Out
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Rear Bump Stops?????? Oh......... OK I didn't cut anything got any pictures or is it self explanatory.
Posted on: 2008/5/20 23:28

Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

They are small humps on the freeway, the ones where you can see the oil spots in the lane. I'm considering raising it back up unless I can find a suitable fix. It rides and handles damn better, other than driving on the freway. Gots me a little concerned about losing control at high speed?
Posted on: 2008/5/20 23:32

SpeedHound Re: 96 Rear Bottoming Out
Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

Get better shocks and raise the rear back up. How are your half shafts positioned? Horizontal or higher towards the middle of the car I hope. What suspension is on the car now?
Posted on: 2008/5/21 0:37

www.speedhound.com

LSx swap parts - performance - repairs - restoration

bogus Re: 96 Rear Bottoming Out
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the freeways around here (short of the 605 and parts of the 110 and the 5) are horribly bumpy.

I followed a fellow (early) C4 on the 210 one day, and that thing was rubbing exhaust on every dip.
Posted on: 2008/5/21 3:16

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CasetheCorvetteman Re: 96 Rear Bottoming Out
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Mine is about 25 inch in the front and about 25.5 inch in the rear, and even on Australian roads ive NEVER bottomed anything out.
[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/Magazine%20shots/CORVETTE_KCL98_026.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/Magazine%20shots/CORVETTE_KCL98_078.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/5/21 8:36

1Fast04Vert Re: 96 Rear Bottoming Out
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Mine is lowered front and rear and with the Monroe Sensatracs (rated similiar to KYB by some) I had a similiar situation. When I went back to the standard (not sport) Bilsteins no more problems and the over all handling is very much improved. Yes, Bilsteins are considerably more expensive, but spread that out over the number of miles/months they last and the money issue becomes a non issue.

ps--by bottoming out I am not meaning any parts hitting the road, but the car slamming down so hard there was no more impact absorption left in the suspension. Hope that makes sense.
Posted on: 2008/5/21 13:14

rayquayle Re: 96 Rear Bottoming Out
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Hey Casey, I know this is probably been done to death, but I don't get on that much. Congrats on the VETTE (July 2008) write up. I got to say "Hey, I know that guy"! Car looks great and a nice little story.
Posted on: 2008/5/21 17:50
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Mine is lowered front and rear and with the Monroe Sensatracs (rated similiar to KYB by some) I had a similiar situation. When I went back to the standard (not sport) Bilsteins no more problems and the over all handling is very much improved. Yes, Bilsteins are considerably more expensive, but spread that out over the number of miles/months they last and the money issue becomes a non issue.

ps--by bottoming out I am not meaning any parts hitting the road, but the car slamming down so hard there was no more impact absorption left in the suspension. Hope that makes sense.

There is no substitute for good quality mate, trying to save a few bucks by using cheap shocks just isnt worth the effort.
Quote:

rayquayle wrote:
Hey Casey, I know this is probably been done to death, but I don't get on that much. Congrats on the VETTE (July 2008) write up. I got to say "Hey, I know that guy"! Car looks great and a nice little story.

Thanks mate
Posted on: 2008/5/21 20:22

Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

The shocks are the most important part of the suspension. No other part is more complex or critical to keeping the tire in contact with the road. You get what you pay for that's for sure. Let us know what you end up doing ramrod. Good luck.
Posted on: 2008/5/21 23:52

www.speedhound.com

Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Well the consensus seems to be to replace the shocks. I purchased the KYB's about 12 months ago because the ones that were there had oil running down the tubes. I thought I'd get them till I could come up with a situation that called for better. I do have to say that before lowering the KYB's made a huge difference over the beat up old ones, and worked good before lowering. I enjoy the improved handling of a firm shock, but also want a nice freeway cruiser, so yeah I want best of both worlds. Any recommendations?
I'm thinking Summitt Racing, anyone got them beat price wise?
Posted on: 2008/5/22 0:42

Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

Bilsteins?

Check out these guys right here. http://speedhound.com/suspension.html
great customer service and good prices.

No seriously, call me tomorrow and I'll see what their availability is. Bilsteins can be hard to get at times.
Posted on: 2008/5/22 2:17

www.speedhound.com

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

KONI Yellow Adjustables, you can set them soft or hard. No harsh ride even with the springs im using. (91 ZO7 in the front and BMF in the rear)
Posted on: 2008/5/22 6:23

CentralCoaster Re: 96 Rear Bottoming Out
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've got about 4" ground clearance and the only time I've ever bottomed out is hitting speed bumps too fast. Never on rough roads, except for a few really nasty unmaintained backroads that most normal people wouldn't drive on.
Posted on: 2008/5/23 1:58

Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

I mean suspension bottoming out, not actually impacting the pavement. It's a big thud, where you hop outa your seat depending on speed and depth of the hump.
Posted on: 2008/5/23 15:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.