Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Shark
Any Corvette from model year 1968 to 1982 is loosely referred to as a Shark. Stemming from the Mako concepts and a general acceptance that the C3 lo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Radiator Install...(warning, this is long....dial up hahaha)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

A few weeks ago I posted about my radiator going bad. I did the job last week (which due to further complications was a PIA!). If you want to do a straightforward rad install, I'm sure it wouldn't take more than 2 hours. It's not that difficult. You basically remove the shroud, disconnect the two rad hoses, two trans lines, and a temp (?) sensor. Drop in the new one and go. Well, mine wasn't so simple.

I began removing the shroud which was no problem. I drained the coolant and started disconnecting lines. The problem started with the lower trans cooler line. After 20 years, it decided to bond itself to the nut holding it on to the radiator. I ended up snapping it off (twisting it, really) because it was so corroded. I tried to salvage the fitting, at least, and I had to drill it out and use a punch to get the remaining bit. It was on there good. Well, that started my problem. I was pretty frustrated. I tried to get the trans line off, thinking I would just replace the whole thing. No go. There is a retainer fastened into the cross member under the motor. It's nearly impossible to get to. When I finally got to it, I found that the threads had rusted and the screw just spun in the hole without coming out. I spent way too much time trying to get it out. Eventually, I decided to just splice the line. I went to the parts store, got a small length of brake hose (you have to get it preflared unless you have a double flaring tool, which is about $50). I then bought a compression fitting coupler. After a few minutes I was back in business. Big relief.

Ok, on to bigger and better things. I took off the hoses (the lower one is the worst). In order to get the lower hose back onto the engine, I found it easier to loosen the tensioner and swing it out of the way. That gave me room to get my hand in there. I then took off my throttle body. Holy crap was that thing dirty! Cleaned it and put it back on. I tried to do the TB bypass, but the hose wasn't long enough and I couldn't get it to maneuver without kinking badly. That'll be a project for later. I also decided I really need to eliminate the smog pump and get that crap out of there. Tons of useless stuff that cramps up the engine bay. Anywho, I also flushed the system and installed a new thermostat. Here's a little tip for the thermostat: before you install it, drill a couple small holes in it. This helps prevent air bubbles and hot spots.

After I did all this, I put everything back together and it works great.

Sorry for the long post, I'm rambling!

Matthew

Edit: PICS
New Rad:
Photobucket
Broken trans line:
Photobucket
Broken Trans line #2
Photobucket
Dirty TB anyone?:
Photobucket
All cleaned up:
Photobucket
Drilled thermostat:
Photobucket
Trans line repair:
Photobucket
Trans line repair #2:
Photobucket
Posted on: 2008/6/2 19:19

pianoguy Re: Radiator Install...(warning, this is long....)
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Like most of my jobs - it takes me 90% of the time to get the first 90% done, and another 90% to get the other 10% done.
Posted on: 2008/6/2 19:41

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jhammons01 Re: Radiator Install...(warning, this is long....dial up hahaha)
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I did this job two weekends ago. I too had problems with the lower trans line. I wound up having to use Vice Grips to the a good bite on that soft ass metal.

My '84 must be an early one as it did not have a coolant level sensor....So not knowing what that hole was, I had to spend an evening questioning every one....then I got NAPA to source one for me after going to 5 different auto parts stores.

That was my big SNAFU for that job

I cut the radiator shroud so that it can be removed later without taking off any hoses or lines. This way it can be cleaned easily
Posted on: 2008/6/2 21:28

Matatk Re: Radiator Install...(warning, this is long....dial up hahaha)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:

I cut the radiator shroud so that it can be removed later without taking off any hoses or lines. This way it can be cleaned easily

That sounds like a really good idea. Wish I had thought of that when I had it all apart. Two zips with the sawzall would have solved that problem. Surprised I've never heard of it before.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/6/2 23:05

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

No Sawzall needed, I used tin snips, the type used for sheet metal. I thought it was metal for some reason. anyway, two snips and off to the next step.

I somehow thought that my radiator/condenser area would be free of debris....."'cause I am special"......what a rude awakening I got.

Now I'm going to pull that shroud every so often and shop vac out that area.
Posted on: 2008/6/2 23:22

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Posted on: 2008/6/2 23:24

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Did/Does anyone else use thread tape on those oil lines?? I didn't feel good about buttoning up the hole thing without the tread tape being on there first.
Posted on: 2008/6/5 17:11

Mekanic Re: Radiator Install...(warning, this is long....dial up hahaha)
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

When I got a leak in the passengers side tank, I paid to have it done. I normally don't do that, but I'm damn glad I did.

$240 including the radiator from my go fast shop.

That shroud is a major PITA!!! Who the hell thought it was a good idea to use 6 teeny screws?
Posted on: 2008/6/5 17:15

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:
That shroud is a major PITA!!! Who the hell thought it was a good idea to use 6 teeny screws?

Nut driver on your cordless drill and the job is done in ~2 minutes. Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/6/5 18:00

Matatk Re: Radiator Install...(warning, this is long....dial up hahaha)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
Did/Does anyone else use thread tape on those oil lines?? I didn't feel good about buttoning up the hole thing without the tread tape being on there first.

Oil cooler doesn't run through mine so I can't comment. Is it a flare fitting? If so it shouldn't be used.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/6/5 18:41

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

yeah, the lines that you twisted off....

So you say no thread tape needed?
Posted on: 2008/6/5 19:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.