Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
284 user(s) are online (208 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Ultraman, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L80E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.43
2nd Gear: 1.49
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.75

Reverse: 2.07

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Klaus Return of the 55-Miles-Per-Hour Speed Limit?
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

Return of the 55-Miles-Per-Hour Speed Limit?
Monday , July 07, 2008

Now some fresh pickings from the Political Grapevine:

Hold Your Horses

The high price of gasoline may mean that Congress will now tell you to slow down. Republican Senator John Warner of Virgina has asked Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman to calculate what speed would provide optimum gasoline efficiency under current technology.

In a letter to Bodman, Warner cited studies that show the 55-mile per hour national speed limit saved 167-thousand barrels of oil a day — after it was imposed by Congress in 1974 because of the Arab oil embargo. That speed limit was repealed in 1995.

The letter read "one could assume that the amount of fuel that could be conserved today is far greater."

An Energy Department spokeswoman says Warner's letter will be reviewed but that "if Congress is serious about addressing gasoline prices, they must take action on expanding domestic oil and natural gas production."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,377221,00.html
Posted on: 2008/7/19 0:05

2008 Machine Silver Coupe
LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Klaus Re: Return of the 55-Miles-Per-Hour Speed Limit?
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

National speed limit pushed as gas saver

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An influential Republican senator suggested Thursday that Congress might want to consider reimposing a national speed limit to save gasoline and possibly ease fuel prices.

Sen. John Warner, R-Virginia, asked Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman to look into what speed limit would provide optimum gasoline efficiency given current technology. He said he wants to know if the administration might support efforts in Congress to require a lower speed limit.

Congress in 1974 set a national 55 mph speed limit because of energy shortages caused by the Arab oil embargo. The speed limit was repealed in 1995 when crude oil dipped to $17 a barrel and gasoline cost $1.10 a gallon.

As motorists headed on trips for this Fourth of July weekend, gasoline averaged $4.10 a gallon nationwide, with oil hovering around $145 a barrel.

Warner cited studies that showed the 55 mph speed limit saved 167,000 barrels of oil a day, or 2 percent of the country's highway fuel consumption, while avoiding up to 4,000 traffic deaths a year.

"Given the significant increase in the number of vehicles on America's highway system from 1974 to 2008, one could assume that the amount of fuel that could be conserved today is far greater," Warner wrote Bodman.

Warner asked the department to determine at what speeds vehicles would be most fuel efficient, how much fuel savings would be achieved, and whether it would be reasonable to assume there would be a reduction in prices at the pump if the speed limit were lowered.

Energy Department spokeswoman Angela Hill said the department will review Warner's letter but added, "If Congress is serious about addressing gasoline prices, they must take action on expanding domestic oil and natural gas production."

The department's Web site says that fuel efficiency decreases rapidly when traveling faster than 60 mph. Every additional 5 mph over that threshold is estimated to cost motorists "essentially an additional 30 cents per gallon in fuel costs," Warner said in his letter, citing the DOE data.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/03/warner.speed.limit.ap/
Posted on: 2008/7/19 0:09

LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

bogus Re: Return of the 55-Miles-Per-Hour Speed Limit?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

old news. It died two weeks ago.

It was a good idea then when EVERY car on the road was a pig, but these days, it's just a bad idea.

I know my C4 gets the same MPG in 6th at 75 as it does at 60 in 5th. Go figure.
Posted on: 2008/7/19 0:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

If you are not already a member, I suggest you join the National Motorists Association. This is the organization that helped drive a stake in the heart of the 55 MPH NMSL in 1995.

http://www.motorists.org/

I'm a member of the NRA to help prevent stupid firearm laws from being enacted. I'm a member of the National Motorists Association to help prevent stupid traffic laws from being enacted.

Better to fight this now. If it gets enacted we could live under it for another 21 years!
Posted on: 2008/7/19 0:22

LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
old news. It died two weeks ago.

It was a good idea then when EVERY car on the road was a pig, but these days, it's just a bad idea.

I know my C4 gets the same MPG in 6th at 75 as it does at 60 in 5th. Go figure.

This was reported again this evening on ABC News:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=5405133&page=1

I agree that cars are so different that it would be stupid to re-enact the law. However, remember who we are dealing with:

Congress
Environmentalists
Safety Nazis

I'm not sure that bunch is capable of reasonable thought!
Posted on: 2008/7/19 0:30

LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

TommyT-Bone Re: Return of the 55-Miles-Per-Hour Speed Limit?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

We needed change and got change way back when to change the gearing to improve the gas mileage and get more change in the pocket. Changing change for the sake of change doesn't change my mind.
Posted on: 2008/7/19 0:43

Notorious Re: Return of the 55-Miles-Per-Hour Speed Limit?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
However, remember who we are dealing with:

Congress
Environmentalists
Safety Nazis

I'm not sure that bunch is capable of reasonable thought!

Short answer? Definitely none of the above are capable of cognizant reasoning on a regular basis. The best mileage my C4 ever has recorded was at 68 mph, cruise set. Better than at 65, 55, etc. and verified by repeated data compared by speeds up to 75 mph. It's gotten 28+ mpg at 68 mph, not bad for a modified and stroked LT1 with a 3.07 gear behind a 4L60E. Hell, my stock 4 cylinder Nissan only gets 30 mpg on the road.
Posted on: 2008/7/19 0:48

pianoguy Re: Return of the 55-Miles-Per-Hour Speed Limit?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Nice scientific research they cite - "one could assume...".
Posted on: 2008/7/19 0:51

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

A slower moving vehicle reflects more heat thus adding to global warming.
Posted on: 2008/7/19 1:28

CentralCoaster Re: Return of the 55-Miles-Per-Hour Speed Limit?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I can't do 55 mph in 6th gear on my bike or my vette, so I can't see that being optimal.

I get my best mileage in the vette at about 82 mph.

Maybe they should first design all the cars to max out at 55 mph.
Posted on: 2008/7/19 1:50

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Speed kills. We could eliminate traffic deaths almost entirely by making a law against driving. If it saves one life, it's worth it.

Actually I'm in favor of traffic deaths, since it makes the roads safer. Because 50% of all persons killed in traffic accidents are bad drivers.

In CA, the interstate speed limit was raised to 70 mph for safety reasons. There is less speed differential between cars with a 70mph limit than with a 55mph limit. With a 55mph limit, some people do 55, some do 80. With a 70mph limit, very few drivers do 55.
Posted on: 2008/7/19 1:55

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

possibly ease fuel prices...

one could assume...

it would be reasonable to assume...

is estimated to cost motorists "essentially an additional 30 cents per gallon...

Anyone who thinks a measure like this will reduce fuel prices is an idiot.
Posted on: 2008/7/19 2:00

bogus Re: Return of the 55-Miles-Per-Hour Speed Limit?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I won't lower prices. It didn't 30 years ago... it does theoretically lower your "effect" gas bill by theoretically using less gas.

Also, the safety nazis don't have a leg to stand on, the annual death rate of 40k people a year has stayed constant - it's the rate of deaths per 100 million miles driven that really shows how safe the roads are, that number keeps dropping.
Posted on: 2008/7/19 2:06

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Air bags should be banned and all cars should be retrofitted with steel dashboards and lap belts.
Posted on: 2008/7/19 2:09

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

I can't drive 55. Just ask Sammy.
Posted on: 2008/7/19 2:21

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

The peoples choice ......

Posted on: 2008/7/19 2:29

Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

Drive 55 campaign gaining speed

By William M. Welch, USA TODAY

Resized Image

Rocker Sammy Hagar, who wrote the song I Can't Drive 55, helps change a sign in 1995 after the maximum speed limit was raised to 65 mph on Highway 101 in Northern California.

File photo by Robert Buhl, AP

LOS ANGELES — Though it lasted longer than disco and leisure suits, the national 55-miles-per-hour speed limit was another remnant of the 1970s that did not endure.

Yet with high fuel costs reviving memories of the energy crisis of that decade, proposals to bring back the "double nickel" or something like it are emerging, with backers saying federal speed limits could save fuel, money and perhaps lives.

"The faster you go, the more you waste," says Tim Castleman, a Sacramento man who is promoting a Drive 55 campaign.

Until gasoline approached $4 a gallon, Castleman didn't find a lot of support for reinstating the 55-mph limit that Congress abolished in 1995 after more than 20 years.

"It was a terribly unpopular law," acknowledges Castleman, who maintains a website, www.drive55.org.

Indeed, reinstating the national 55-miles-per-hour limit, or 60 mph as some suggest, would seem a tough sell after the first experiment proved about as successful as Prohibition.

Opponents such as Jim Baxter, head of the National Motorists Association, a Wisconsin group, argue any fuel savings would be tiny and that higher limits haven't made highways less safe.

"People have to be willing to comply with it," he says. "And they weren't."

New action in Congress

Proposed by President Nixon and enacted in January 1974, the nationwide speed limit was described as a temporary emergency response to oil shortages and was to expire in mid-1975. But Congress soon made it permanent, and the 55-mph limit immediately became part of the national culture.

Auto speedometers highlighted the 55-mph limit, police radar detection devices became popular, and rocker Sammy Hagar had a 1984 hit record that complained, I Can't Drive 55.

States that had allowed speeds 75 mph or higher were compelled to go along because of the threat of losing federal money for highway construction. But in the face of resistance, Congress in 1987 relaxed the law to permit 65 mph on rural interstate highways. In 1995, Congress lifted the federal limit entirely. Baxter says most states have maximum limits of 65 or 70 mph. Some Western states have higher limits.

Sen. John Warner, R-Va., introduced a bill last month that orders a study to determine the effects of a national 60-mph speed limit.

Warner says the 55 limit reduced fuel use by 167,000 barrels a day, or 2% of highway consumption, citing a Congressional Research Service report. With far more vehicles, fuel savings is likely to be far greater now, he says.

Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Calif., has proposed a 60-mph limit in urban areas and 65-mph elsewhere.

"There is no need for OPEC or the oil companies to help us out," Speier says. "Every driver can affect change simply by easing up on their right foot."

Both point to findings by the Environmental Protection Agency that fuel efficiency decreases above 60 mph.

Speier says 11 other House Democrats, most of them from California, are co-sponsoring her bill. And she claims support from environmental groups and the American Trucking Associations.

Few other politicians have been eager to climb aboard, Baxter says. He notes that Warner is leaving office at the end of this year and that Speier represents a San Francisco and San Mateo district where voters may be less tied to their autos than elsewhere in the country.

"The public isn't real excited about going back to a 55-mph national speed limit," Baxter says.

Traffic fatalities on decline

Baxter says the savings potential is overstated because most driving is done on streets and roads where lower limits are in effect. Only 2% of the nation's roughly 4 million miles of roadways have limits above 55 mph now, he says.

While up to one-third of daily traffic volume is on interstate highways, Baxter says, congestion often limits speeds anyway.

"All we would do by establishing another national speed limit is we would generate a lot of tickets, a lot of insurance surcharges, and give a little boost to the radar-detector industry," Baxter says. "There would be no change in fuel pricing."

Warner says safety is a reason to lower speeds too. He points to a National Academy of Sciences finding that the law "saved up to 4,000 lives per year from highway accidents." Disputing that, opponents point to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's figures that show the rates of traffic fatalities and injuries have been declining for more than a decade. The fatality rate in 2007 was 1.37 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, compared with 1.69 in 1996.

Castleman, 50, a retired heating and air conditioning contractor, acknowledges his cause is a long shot.

"We've been calling on people to do it for themselves, do it voluntarily, do it for the country, do it to stop climate change, do it to save money, do it to make our roads safer," he says.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-08-17-Drive-55_N.htm
Posted on: 2008/8/18 19:03

LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

CSS996 Re: Return of the 55-Miles-Per-Hour Speed Limit?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

One more reason I love Colorado!

75 is the speed limit on most of I-25. The only major North/South route through the state.I set the cruise for 80, and the State Popo never bother me.

Just like McDonald's... I'm lovin' it!
Posted on: 2008/8/18 19:13

JrRifleCoach Re: Return of the 55-Miles-Per-Hour Speed Limit?
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Actually I'm in favor of traffic deaths, since it makes the roads safer. Because 50% of all persons killed in traffic accidents are bad drivers.

BWaaahahaHAHAHAH!!

Follows my philosophy of removing all the guard rails.

55???? OMG NOooooooooo!!!
Posted on: 2008/8/19 8:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.