Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
266 user(s) are online (223 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  MAF
Mass Air Flow sensor. Used to measure the amount of air entering the intake. This sensor works by heating an element and then measuring the rate of c...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

tobijohn Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

The seam in RH lower corner separated (see pic). The rest of the weatherstrip is in very good condition so I was wondering if it were possible to somehow pull it back together, glue it up and actually have it hold for a while so I wouldn't have to repeat the process on a regular basis. TIA...

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN0601.JPG (368.20 KB)
112_488ba0f6cc11f.jpg 1600X1200 px
Posted on: 2008/7/26 22:11

AIRFOIL FREE!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

It might be. But have you experienced the messy, disgusting goo that GM saw fit to put between this strip and the body? I replaced this piece over five years ago when I first got the car. I cleaned all of that nasty shit off and installed the new piece with nothing under it, it's worked fine since. I'd think you'll have to pull it back far enough to clean that area thoroughly. Then maybe you could use some weatherstrip adhesive to hold it in place.
Posted on: 2008/7/26 22:30

tobijohn Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
It might be. But have you experienced the messy, disgusting goo that GM saw fit to put between this strip and the body?

It's there alright, you just can't see it in that pic because most of what was in the area of that rip ended up on the side of the car and me while I was playing around with it. A pain to clean up too...
Posted on: 2008/7/26 22:35

Notorious Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

tobijohn wrote:
A pain to clean up too...

I'm tellin' ya.... that shit sucks ASS!
Posted on: 2008/7/26 22:43

biggrizzly Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I tried this repair several years ago using some black 3M weatherstrip adhesive.

It is dificult to join the ends close enough while the adhesive cures. It kooked ok but never looked right.

I wound up replacing the entire strip shortly thereafter.
Posted on: 2008/7/27 2:34

Flashman Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello All,

I will tell you that after you fix it, you better keep that rear hatch weather strip lubricated with rubber dressing. If it dries out, it will stick to the glass and eventually rip when you open it up. In fact, keep all of your weather stripping lubricated. Its not cheap to replace it all.

Joe-Flash man
Posted on: 2008/7/27 4:02

pappyfreebird Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

well no pix but my ol girl has a miter cut there n is like 2" shy on the lower part...now ifn anglin water shell git in there but nermal rain etc no prolem..i figure fergit it paps
ps sum patience n good cantact cement will cure that fer ya..any overage is easily colord wid a magic marker er leather stain
Posted on: 2008/7/27 16:26

austinjohn Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Guru Newb
'94 coupe Austin, Texas
10 Posts

Here's what looks to be a minority opinion.

I had the same problem you did (on both sides - evidently that's VERY common) and used Permatex Black Rubber Sealant ($1.99 at your FLAP) to fill the "space" and am happy with the result.

A couple of caveats if you choose to do this: 1-Altho it skins up fast, the sealant comes out of the tube REALLY fast so be careful; 2-I built a little 90-degree form out of cardboard to both protect the body to the side and below where I was adding the sealant so I wouldn't end up with a mess; 3-I worked in layers so that each could set-up before adding the next layer; 4-As others have suggested, be sure to use a rubber lubricant after finishing and before closing the glass to prevent the glass from adhering to the rubber and/or sealant and ripping.

I'm attaching pictures of my result (hatch open and hatch closed) so you can judge for yourself.

Good luck.

John

Photobucket

Photobucket
Posted on: 2008/8/3 17:18

BrianCunningham Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I just bought a new gasket.

BTW it just sits there. Real easy to replace.
Posted on: 2008/8/3 17:33

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Austinjohn, thanks for the pics. How much time did you put into the repair with all that layering and drying? Wilcox is running a sale through 8/20 and I see they have the hatch weatherstrip on sale for $50. For that much, I'm leaning towards Brian's suggestion...
Posted on: 2008/8/3 18:06

Guru Newb
'94 coupe Austin, Texas
10 Posts

Probably less than one hour (and incidentally, I did it as I was weighing the Wilcox sale but first wanted to see what I could do for $2 and an hour of my time).
Posted on: 2008/8/3 18:15

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

austinjohn wrote:
Probably less than one hour (and incidentally, I did it as I was weighing the Wilcox sale but first wanted to see what I could do for $2 and an hour of my time).

Thanks, I think I'll give your solution a shot first. What did you use to clean that GM goo off with?
Posted on: 2008/8/3 18:19

bogus Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I replaced mine, too.

The goo will work, but gee, it's a mess to work with.

and here is the real rub - the goo WILL break down over time. You can't get the old seal clean enough to provide enough bite to get it to stick for more than a few months or so.

It's a stop gap at best...

If Wilcox is offering $50 for a rear seal, get it.

I also highly recommend Honda Pro-Silicone spray for the seals. It's cheap and works VERY well.

Austin - Welcome!!!
Posted on: 2008/8/3 18:20

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Newb
'94 coupe Austin, Texas
10 Posts

Quote:

tobijohn wrote:
Quote:

austinjohn wrote:

Thanks, I think I'll give your solution a shot first. What did you use to clean that GM goo off with?

There wasn't any GM goo at the corner (in fact there wasn't any in either direction (on either side) for about 2" so I didn't have to deal with it. BUT its absence (plus the previous owner not using weatherstrip lubricant) was probably what caused the corner to break in the first place.
Posted on: 2008/8/3 18:27

Guru Newb
'94 coupe Austin, Texas
10 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I replaced mine, too.

and here is the real rub - the goo WILL break down over time. You can't get the old seal clean enough to provide enough bite to get it to stick for more than a few months or so.

I also highly recommend Honda Pro-Silicone spray for the seals. It's cheap and works VERY well.

Austin - Welcome!!!

Thanks! I'd rather be driving my car than messaging, of course, but at the temps we're having, the time to drive is before 9am. So I'll enjoy the next best thing. John
Posted on: 2008/8/3 18:34

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

austinjohn wrote:
Quote:

tobijohn wrote:
Quote:

austinjohn wrote:

There wasn't any GM goo at the corner (in fact there wasn't any in either direction (on either side) for about 2" so I didn't have to deal with it. BUT its absence (plus the previous owner not using weatherstrip lubricant) was probably what caused the corner to break in the first place.

The sealer wasn't needed there. you see, GM heat sealed that corner.

The lack of lube is what tears them up.
Posted on: 2008/8/3 18:40

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

austinjohn wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
I replaced mine, too.

Austin - Welcome!!!

Thanks! I'd rather be driving my car than messaging, of course, but at the temps we're having, the time to drive is before 9am. So I'll enjoy the next best thing. John

John,

I hear that! I am from Delaware, and live in LA now... it's much nicer here in the summer than in Delaware. No humidity!!!
Posted on: 2008/8/3 18:46

Flashman Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

When you put the new rear hatch gasket in do not use any silicone or sealant. If there is any old sealant clean it off with a cleaning solvent Xylene or laquer thinner. The best way to install the gasket is to put the corners in first, then work your way around the top, then around the back. After you are done, treat that weatherstrip with a water based rubber protectant. Good Luck.

Joe-Flash man
Posted on: 2008/8/3 19:30

Randyj75 Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Guru Newb
MD
129 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

austinjohn wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
I replaced mine, too.

Austin - Welcome!!!

John,

I hear that! I am from Delaware, and live in LA now... it's much nicer here in the summer than in Delaware. No humidity!!!

Andy, is that true? No humidity? That hard to believe, I thought you were pretty close to the water there.
Hey, has anyone read the directions for installing one of these seals on Wilcox's web site? I am getting my car painted, and the rear window seal needs to me replaced. Just wondering how hard it is to do. I may have the painter do it, not sure.
Posted on: 2008/8/4 6:56

Guru Newb
'94 coupe Austin, Texas
10 Posts

Quote:

Flashman wrote:
Hi All,

When you put the new rear hatch gasket in do not use any silicone or sealant. If there is any old sealant clean it off with a cleaning solvent Xylene or laquer thinner. The best way to install the gasket is to put the corners in first, then work your way around the top, then around the back. After you are done, treat that weatherstrip with a water based rubber protectant. Good Luck.

Joe-Flash man

Which water based rubber protectant do you use?
Posted on: 2008/8/4 12:16

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Well, I like to think that I'm at the point in my life where I can actually learn from someone else's experience so I went ahead and ordered the piece from Willcox (peer pressure also influenced my decision). They have downloadable installation instructions for anyone who's interested. I'll report back in a couple weeks as to how successful I actually was at following them...
Posted on: 2008/8/4 23:27

AIRFOIL FREE!

Guru Newb
'94 coupe Austin, Texas
10 Posts

I'm sure you won't regret it and in fact I've been weighing doing the same thing (except I learned today I may be buying an exciting, new master cylinder so we'll see which one comes up first).
Posted on: 2008/8/4 23:41

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

austinjohn wrote:
I'm sure you won't regret it and in fact I've been weighing doing the same thing (except I learned today I may be buying an exciting, new master cylinder so we'll see which one comes up first).

I also had that exhilarating experience with my previous 96 LT1. But by far the most scintillating part failure was when the fuel pressure regulator ruptured and I discovered I'd been driving around with a puddle of gasoline on the intake manifold...
Posted on: 2008/8/5 0:08

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

One more question: If no adhesive seems to be needed for the replacement weatherstrip then why do you think GM applied it in the first place? TIA...
Posted on: 2008/8/10 16:33

AIRFOIL FREE!

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That wasn't so much a glue as it is some kinda moisture barrier, I think.

It is some gnarly stuff...

I bought a rubber mallet when I did mine. It really helps to get the seal to seat against the car properly.
Posted on: 2008/8/10 21:41

vetteblondie Re: Back hatch weatherstrip repair?
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

You can get the entire 7pc kit at corvettesouth.com for $384 - I just did all that this weekend on my '96, pics in the thread titled "what do you need to do to your c4" or something like that
Posted on: 2008/8/11 21:18

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.