Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
203 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

bogus, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Rear Hatch Release
There are releases on the trailing edges of each door and one under the center console.

The center console button will only work if the car is in...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk When is a chip required?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

Well, I also posted this on CF, but I don't really expect too many responses there since it doesn't involve an airfoil or floormats.

Just as the title suggests, that is my question. I plan on doing some mild upgrades, and want to know at what point the factory computer is limited in its adjustments and a chip is required?

My current plans are mildly ported/siamesed stock plenum, slp runners, siamesed stock intake. I also have front cats deleted, magnaflow catback. I will also be replacing my injectors and am debating between 22 and 24 lbs from FIC.

At a cost of $200 for a chip, I'm also considering getting the OBD cable myself w/tuner cat and the ostrich emulator. It wouldn't cost that much more, and if I decide to do heads/cam in the future I could tune myself.

Comments?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/8/28 3:37

Mekanic Re: When is a chip required?
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Whenever mods are installed that are going to require you to add additional fuel.

Or install a modification that require different parameters to run than stock, IE larger injectors.

Thats the simple answer anyway
Posted on: 2008/8/28 6:30

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: When is a chip required?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I would say it depends on MAF vs. MAP as well. MAF has the advantage of more directly measuring airflow.
Posted on: 2008/8/28 7:18

Matatk Re: When is a chip required?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

Well, I understand that when you make big mods, a chip is required (ie heads/cam). But the stock computer is capable of making adjustments to a certain point, I just don't know what that point is. It is very versatile in itself.

Just making a simple mod doesn't require a chip or a retune. My ultimate question is at what point is it required? Anyone have hard #s?

Thanks again,

Matthew

BTW, my 89 is a MAF
Posted on: 2008/8/28 15:50

CentralCoaster Re: When is a chip required?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Required? Maybe when the car doesn't idle?

You can make gains from a tune no matter how many mods you have. Some choose to hillbilly it with 100hp worth of mods and lose 40% of it because of a poor tune or stock tune, others will retune it after changing one piece and pick up 20hp. I don't think you're going to find a cut off point.

I'd say its required whenever the cost/benefit of the tune is better than the cost/benefit of throwing more parts on a stock tune.
Posted on: 2008/8/28 16:19

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
don't think you're going to find a cut off point.

I'd say its required whenever the cost/benefit of the tune is better than the cost/benefit of throwing more parts on a stock tune.

Good point.

I am considering the ostrich emulator by Moates ($175). That was I could make real time changes to the car with a laptop. Anyone have any experience with it? I have zero experience when it comes to tuning, but I'm sure I could pick it up quick. The ostrich system uses Tuner Cat software, which I understand is pretty good.

Thoughts?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/8/28 17:21

Mekanic Re: When is a chip required?
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

tuning is quite hard, not something I would do myself, or send to someone without a LOT of experience.

"My current plans are mildly ported/siamesed stock plenum, slp runners, siamesed stock intake. I also have front cats deleted, magnaflow catback. I will also be replacing my injectors and am debating between 22 and 24 lbs from FIC."

If you go with the 22's, a tune will not be needed for those mods. Would you see gains from a tune? Yes, you will see gains from a tune on a stock car.

Heads/cam/24's you need to tune.
Posted on: 2008/8/28 17:27

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

anesthes Re: When is a chip required?
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
don't think you're going to find a cut off point.

Good point.

I am considering the ostrich emulator by Moates ($175). That was I could make real time changes to the car with a laptop. Anyone have any experience with it? I have zero experience when it comes to tuning, but I'm sure I could pick it up quick. The ostrich system uses Tuner Cat software, which I understand is pretty good.

Thoughts?

Matthew

You can use tunercat or tunerpro with the ostrich. I go back and forth. I like tunercat a little better I think.

Years ago it would take me forever to change things. Burn a chip, run outside, scan it, run inside, burn a chip. Now I can make a ton of changes from inside the car. Go for a drive. Pull over, fix AE or whatever is off. etc.

You'll need an Ostrich, A G1 adapter, a laptop, software, and an ALDL cable. My aldl is hard wires to the harness and I have a serial cable hidden under the dash. My ostrich is USB and that cable is hidden as well.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/8/28 17:28

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

PM sent.
Posted on: 2008/8/28 17:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.