Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
209 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sting Ray
1963 through 1967 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Stingray, 1969-1976....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

daddue11 Enlighten Me gurus
Senior Guru
Mountain View, Southern Mo.,
131 Posts

I know I've heard people on here say they were tired of hearing about the different degreed thermostats,
Well here is fuel for the fire gurus.
My 84 auto runs at a constant 187-190 coolant temp after running for a couple of minutes,the fan comes on as soon as I start it up and turns off between 33-35 mph.
Another friend of mine tells me that it should be running a higher temp for top performance,at least in the 200-210 range.
I don't understand his thinking,my car runs like a speckled ape (that means excellent)and it never overheats, It's getting 18mpg in town and 23 on the open road.
Am I missing something here,or should I leave it be and don't mess with a good thing?

thanks- daddue11
Posted on: 2007/11/14 0:57

red_johnny RE:Enlighten Me gurus
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Its my understanding that it is all preference. The stock settings are for the 195 thermostat but alot of people like to go down as far as a 165. I do not beleive it matters much either way.
Posted on: 2007/11/14 1:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

daddue11 RE:Enlighten Me gurus
Senior Guru
131 Posts

Thank you,that's what I got from listening or reading other posts.
I couldn't find anything on it in the tech section,but, I remember it being discussed in other forms.
Posted on: 2007/11/14 2:35

Touringmike RE:Enlighten Me gurus
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Interesting thread. I don't post too much in these types, because I think all the purest who say go with the higher units, burns more/cleaner, it's all bulldookey.

For 6 years, I had a 165 thermostat in my '97 Blazer, with Dexcool. Changed the original tstat and dexcool at the recommended 5 year (had 30k miles at the time). The thing overheated a few times, and the Dexcool did the clump block stuff. Put in the 165 and more dexcool, never overheated.
Changed to a 195 unit last week-end, and dexcool approved Prestone.
We'll see if I get the clumps again. I mainly drive this thing in winter, although the wife uses it quite regularly during the warm weather months.
61k mile now.

I have a 185 unit in the corvette. In stop & go traffic, it still gets up to 230.
So I don't see how a 165 would do any better, except for Highway driving maybe. Runs between 187-192 on the highway.
I get 26mpg highway,19mpg city driving.
Posted on: 2007/11/14 3:30

Alcee1 RE:Enlighten Me gurus
Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

I have an 84 and before I put my low temp tstat in I was running at around 215-220, which was cool for me but I put in a 180 tstat and now my fan come on around 192 and goes off at 180. Runs great.
Posted on: 2007/11/14 3:38
Edlebrock Heads, 2030 cam, X-ram w/EGR, 1.6 R/R, Bored TB´s, AFPR, Pro-built Tranny, Vigilantly 2600, Transgo, Dana 44 3.54, Hardened Pushrods & Head Bolts, Custom performance chip, K&N, Double roller timing chain, Aluminum radiator & flex hose, MS

bogus RE:Enlighten Me gurus
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

here in lies the thermostat...

the truth - it's not a thermostat. It's a heat valve. Once it gets up to temp, it opens. It's that easy.

If the engine gets too hot, the t-stat won't cool it back down. Only the fans can do that. And that isn't even a guarantee. Air temp, flow issues all come into play.

Now... it's obvious what happens when an engine overheats. but people never think about under heated engines. Now, this is a more modern problem, mostly caused by the nature of better machining and tighter tolerances. Add in the fact that different metals expand and contract at different rates, an overly cool engine can prematurely wear.

Next comes the real knee slapper - a warmer engine runs more efficiently. Yes. It does. the compression event happens more efficiently than does a colder engine. Now, the air DOES need to be cold coming in, but a properly warmed engine isn't the enemy of power people want you to believe.
Posted on: 2007/11/14 5:08

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Enlighten Me gurus
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

There is a fair few false hoods in this thread, there is no 165*F thermostat i know of, there is no 185*F thermostat i know of either. They are 160*F and 180*F. Next is 195*F.

A thermostat is called a thermostat cause it is a thermostat. Thats a fact, end of story.

Here in lies the proof of the fact:
Ther´mo`stat
n. 1. (Physics) A device which automatically regulates temperature, or provides a signal used by another device to regulate temperature. The temperature-sensitive signal may be electronic, as that produced by a thermocouple. The signal may also be caused mechanically, as by the unequal expansion of different metals, liquids, or gases by heat, which can then cause the opening or closing of the damper of a stove, or the like, as the heat becomes greater or less than is desired.

A 180*F thermostat doesnt open imediately the second it hits 180*F, and its opening will vary with temperature in order to regulate coolant flow to or from the radiator.

At the risk of starting a pointless debate, im reluctant to say any more.
Posted on: 2007/11/14 9:07

toptechx6 RE:Enlighten Me gurus
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

For cars that are normally driven long enough to reach full operating temperature there is not much difference between thermostats. In cold climates and especially for cars that see short trips, low temp stats can hurt fuel economy and allow condensation to accumulate in the crankcase in my experience.
Posted on: 2007/11/14 11:49

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

As far as the warmer engine running more effecitvely that is what I thought. My boss thinks that a colder engine means more power and I said colder air is better but does cold air effect gas milage? Warmer engines give better gas milage but does the temp of the air effect it?
Posted on: 2007/11/14 12:09

toptechx6 RE:Enlighten Me gurus
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

[quote="red_johnny"]As far as the warmer engine running more effecitvely that is what I thought. My boss thinks that a colder engine means more power and I said colder air is better but does cold air effect gas milage? Warmer engines give better gas milage but does the temp of the air effect it?[/quote

I believe air inlet temperature has minimal effect on economy, the coolant temp sensor on the other hand is normally given second priority after MAF or MAP sensor by the ECM to determine fuel requirements.
Posted on: 2007/11/14 12:23

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Enlighten Me gurus
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Well cooler air packs a more dense charge, but that means it theoretically needs less throttle posisition to make simular power, so id be suprised if it had much if any effect on economy. Again theoretically, more GPM should flow for the same throttle opening with cooler air, which will mean there is potential to make marginally more power assuming the AFR is accurately calculated.

This is the sort of thing that makes a MAF system potentially inaccurate, the calibration not only has to read air flow, but when cooler air passes, it will read it as more air passing, which to a degree will be fine, but itll never be perfect either.
Posted on: 2007/11/14 14:02

Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

The Tstat & the low temp switch works hand in hand.
Posted on: 2007/11/14 15:14
Edlebrock Heads, 2030 cam, X-ram w/EGR, 1.6 R/R, Bored TB´s, AFPR, Pro-built Tranny, Vigilantly 2600, Transgo, Dana 44 3.54, Hardened Pushrods & Head Bolts, Custom performance chip, K&N, Double roller timing chain, Aluminum radiator & flex hose, MS

Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

Quote:
here in lies the thermostat...

the truth - it's not a thermostat. It's a heat valve. Once it gets up to temp, it opens. It's that easy.

If the engine gets too hot, the t-stat won't cool it back down. Only the fans can do that. And that isn't even a guarantee. Air temp, flow issues all come into play.

Now... it's obvious what happens when an engine overheats. but people never think about under heated engines. Now, this is a more modern problem, mostly caused by the nature of better machining and tighter tolerances. Add in the fact that different metals expand and contract at different rates, an overly cool engine can prematurely wear.

Next comes the real knee slapper - a warmer engine runs more efficiently. Yes. It does. the compression event happens more efficiently than does a colder engine. Now, the air DOES need to be cold coming in, but a properly warmed engine isn't the enemy of power people want you to believe.

How right you are Bogus, but knowing the correct engine operating temp is the key. You can control the temp of the engine (high or low) too low not good, too high not good either. From what i've seen and heard the C4 runs great at about 200-215, but not bad either at 185-200. Now i'm starting to confuse myself anyway I see that the common denominator is 200 given air/fuel mixture, plugs, injectors (spray), fuel pressure, alright, now I'm really confused hey, do a great tune and enjoy it, if it runs and sounds good then so be it. HEHEHE
Posted on: 2007/11/14 15:23

daddue11 RE:Enlighten Me gurus
Senior Guru
131 Posts

I thank you all for your imput and opinions and I'll walk away from this with these conclusions.
1.I'm not too far off from either temp levels so trying to fine tune the temp is really pointless.
2.I've avoiding my biggest fear-Overheating the engine and blowing it up. that's always a plus.
3.It's good to know that I've room on the temp scale so I can judge if it is getting to the unsafe zone.
4.I now know what thermostats to ask for if I presume that it needs changed.
5.There's nothing wrong with my baby at this moment,and I'm not gonna borrow trouble by changing a good thing.

6. I's good to be a guru and get straight facts and non sarcastic opinions, I'm a dumbass,but, I don't like being called one. You all are tops. THANK Y'ALL daddue
Posted on: 2007/11/14 16:17

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Posted on: 2007/11/14 16:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.