Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
220 user(s) are online (194 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  700R4
4-speed overdrive automatic transmission from 1982 to 1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Your car is a public place in Oregon
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

This is how liberal our state is. This could end the 4th amendment rights here in this state.

Oregon firearms federation

Apeals court decision.

Mike.
Posted on: 2008/12/16 21:53

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Schrade Re: Your car is a public place in Oregon
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

'State' is capitalized.

If it was not capitalized, then the qualifier could not be construed in ANY manner, to dis-allow firearms in a public or private place. Your OWN free 'state' - your 'secure' condition, in any place, would be dependent on bearing an arm (your own responsibility).

But since 'state' is capitalized - a proper noun, then the security pre-clause implies OBLIGATION*** (to help defend the [local] state/group, as well as yourself), which could not be infringed.

***This is probably why Conscientious Objection (religious dodgers) was once considered for inclusion in the 2nd.

To take all guns, liberals will have to re-define 'well regulated militia', OR, they'll have to declare that NOTHING is necessary to maintain the 'security' of the 'State', OR, they'll have to re-define 'State'.

They're making that declaration with re-definitions now:
http://www.spp.gov/
Posted on: 2008/12/16 23:21

Resized Image

CentralCoaster Re: Your car is a public place in Oregon
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Ok so...

Oregon says you can't have a gun on a public highway, except that you can carry a gun in your vehicle if you have a concealed carry permit.

I'm reading the intent of the law, to me it says:

You can't be in possession of a weapon in public, unless you have a permit.

I don't see why there should be an exception if you're inside a car, or a bubble, or in a space suit. Your pants pocket isn't a public place, but you wouldn't expect to be able to carry a gun there with no permit.

Why can't these dumbass legislatures just write laws that make sense?
Posted on: 2008/12/17 1:09

Matatk Re: Your car is a public place in Oregon
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Ok, so I read them both. Unfortunately, the OFF is twisting the court's decision. It was very clear to me.

You can carry a concealed gun with a permit. No problem. A city cannot supercede state law on that. It appears open carry (non-concealed) is legal in Oregon. A city can, however, pass a law preventing open carry within their jurisdiction. The appellate court stated that your car is considered a "public place" in this context, making it subject to any open carry laws a jurisdiction establishes. This is consistent with USSC reasoning.

As far as the Fourth Amendment, a person does not have the same expectation of privacy in a vehicle that they do in a home. This is due to the open nature of a vehicle. If you put a bag of drugs on your front seat and a police officer walks by and sees it, is that an illegal search? No. It was in open view. Same concept. This is not a challenge to the fourth amendment.

Bottom line to me is that if you want to carry a gun, get a permit and save yourself the headache.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/17 2:10

bogus Re: Your car is a public place in Oregon
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This will be going to the Supreme Court.

This is invasion of what's left of our privacy. If anything destroys what is left of America, it will be namby-pamby legal decisions of this nature.

First it was the Patriot Act... what's next?

I remember when a cop pulled me over because my tint was too dark... the little shit had the balls to say, "I pulled you over because your tint was too dark and I could not see what you were doing inside."

Oh, that pissed me off. Does it matter what I am doing inside my car? Am I speeding? Driving erractic? Should I open the curtains in my house now?

Tint laws are no different... some screwed up stat that makes bank for the local cops.

Oh, I got off because I had a drs waiver.

If I ever get elected to a political office, the first thing I will do is clean up these kinds of bullshit statutes.
Posted on: 2008/12/17 4:03

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster Re: Your car is a public place in Oregon
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

How is it any more of an invasion of privacy than before?

I don't understand how it's any different than before. Are you saying I'm allowed to carry a loaded gun in my car without a permit?
Posted on: 2008/12/17 4:39

captmike13 Re: Your car is a public place in Oregon
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
How is it any more of an invasion of privacy than before?

I don't understand how it's any different than before. Are you saying I'm allowed to carry a loaded gun in my car without a permit?

Yes you are allowed to carry without a permit. But if a city or municipality has a law about not carrying in public then no because your car is considered public access. You could be breaking the law without knowing it because such laws are not openly known when they change them. This is where that pre-emption law is now null and void with this court ruling.

See where this is heading.

Here's another strange law.

I read in the hunting regulations manual (the one they give out at Bi-Mart) that carrying a loaded firearm while riding an ATV was illegal, I'm sorry I didn't remember the law quoted, I could get it if you want.

What's the deal on this? I have a CHL, am I exempt?

Some people put ATV permits on there car / truck / SUV, I'm thinking that it would then be illegal to carry a loaded weapon in the vehicle?

Thanks.
Ben.

It is illegal to carry a loaded gun (long gun or handgun) on an atv or a snowmobile. CHL holders ARE NOT exempt. If you are carrying a bow, all arrows must be in a quiver.
We attempted to deal with this in the 2005 session, but the Senate refused to hear the bill that the House passed.

See here:
It is a Class B traffic infraction. It would NOT apply to your regular motor vehicle.

Mike
Posted on: 2008/12/17 5:28

captmike13@yahoo.com

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Public place?

Not a problem.

No more property tax on the 'public place'.
Hey - nice sunglasses in the 'public place'. Finders keepers loser's public place.
Maintenance? Oil change? Tires? Head for the 'public' DOT maintenance yard.

Sounds okay to me UH Huh!
Posted on: 2008/12/17 6:04

Resized Image

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

'State' is capitalized.

If it was not capitalized, then the qualifier could not be construed in ANY manner, to dis-allow firearms in a public or private place. Your OWN free 'state' - your 'secure' condition, in any place, would be dependent on bearing an arm (your own responsibility).

But since 'state' is capitalized - a proper noun, then the security pre-clause implies OBLIGATION*** (to help defend the [local] state/group, as well as yourself), which could not be infringed.

***This is probably why Conscientious Objection (religious dodgers) was once considered for inclusion in the 2nd.

To take all guns, liberals will have to re-define 'well regulated militia', OR, they'll have to declare that NOTHING is necessary to maintain the 'security' of the 'State', OR, they'll have to re-define 'State'.

They're making that declaration with re-definitions now:
http://www.spp.gov/

Today obama used the words together in the dem's saturday speech. "security and prosperity".

And while searchin' for the transcript, this came up:
http://24ahead.com/blog/archives/007494.html

Just a matter of time...
Posted on: 2008/12/20 21:09

Resized Image

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

WOW - WHAT A READ:
Quote:

Barack Obama: no evidence of North American Union, confirms NAFTA Superhighway (?), says not CFR member

In Lancaster, Pennsylvania on 3/31/08, an audience member asked Barack Obama whether he's a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and asks about the North American Union. He denied being a member of the CFR, and said he didn't see any evidence of the NAU. However, in his discussion of the NAU he described something sounding an awful lot like the NAFTA Superhighway. If you go to one of his appearances, read back his statements (below) and tell him that he came close to verifying something that we're told doesn't exist.

And, if Obama is truthful when he says he sees no evidence of the NAU - for instance as a gleam in the eyes of powerful people - then he's not qualified for major public office. But, we knew that already. Were he an honest and brave politician he'd acknowledge that there are plenty of signs that powerful forces want something like a NAU, and he'd work to oppose them.

Details after the clip.

Quote:
Regarding the CFR, Obama says he doesn't know whether he's an "official member", but says he's spoken there in the past. He then says:

"the CFR is basically just a forum where a bunch of people talk about foreign policy... so there's no official membership... I don't have a card or an [inaudible, perhaps 'special'] handshake or anything like that..."

For the last part of that he was mocking the questioner, causing the audience to laugh right along with him. And, of course, he was lying about them just being a forum; they're obviously much more and almost all top government officials for the past several administrations have been members. In fact, here's CFR member Dick Cheney - standing next to David Rockefeller - laughing about not telling the folks back in Wyoming that he's a member: link.

Obama then pretends not to remember that the final word in NAU is "Union", asking the original questioner for the word. He says he sees no evidence of it taking place. Then, perhaps saying more than his handlers would like him to say, he goes on:

It was based partly on the fact that there's this highway being built in Texas that will facilitate more transportation and travel between Mexico and the intercontinental United States, on up to Canada so people have perceived that this potentially means that somehow there's gonna be this Union like the European Union... there's no evidence that that's taking place.

So, it runs from Mexico to Canada, and will facilitate transportation. Sounds like... an intercontinental trade corridor, no? In fact, it certainly sounds like the NAFTA Superhighway, something that hacks have worked night and day to deny. In fact, most of them, if they acknowledge the Trans Texas Corridor (TTC) at all, stop right there and don't go past, say, Oklahoma. But, brave soul that he is, Obama went all the way up to Canada.

Posted at 11:45 PM Comments (9)

http://24ahead.com/blog/archives/cat_nau.html
Posted on: 2008/12/20 21:37

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.