Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
243 user(s) are online (212 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Pod Heater core
Guru Newb
Columbia, Ms
44 Posts

Just finished installing a new heater core. Old one had a leak. Halled it around since the summer dreading the install. Cold weather got here and it hindered me driving the vette. It was a job! Almost had to dismantle the dash to get to it. My hands look like I was in a one man fork fight and I didn't have a fork. So many tight places where it was not easy to get to the screws. Not much info around for help other than pictures of how its made and the location of the heater core housing. One thing I did learn from the job was that the front part of the housing comes off (after removing all the screws) and you don't have to remove the whole housing to get to the core. Putting the screws back in on the top of the housing was by feel cause you can't see where the holes are.
Anyway, I found 2 screws and I had 2 screws left over when job was complete. All parts were replaced and no leaks. Now I can enjoy the ride in warmth with my chin held high and a sense of pride for a job well done (bloody hands and all). I did not check to see what it would cost for me to have someone else do it but I bet it aint cheap. Besides, I would have missed all the fun. Now I can ENJOY THE RIDE.
Posted on: 2009/2/5 10:17

Epimax Re: Heater core
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Congratulations!!
I replaced my heater core back in December, and it's not something I'd want to make a habit of!!
Mine started leaking last spring, so I just bypassed it, and started procrastinating! You're right, it's not cheap to have it replaced at the shop. Just for kicks, I called a few places and around here they were 'willing' to charge around $600.00! Ha! With a little time and patience, I did it myself for free! From everything I've read, the heater core exchange is one of the most dreaded repairs known to vette owners! Well Done!!

Nice Vert!!
Posted on: 2009/2/5 11:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jhammons01 Re: Heater core
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I think Bogus said (paraphrase)

At the Bowling Green plant for assembling a Vette

Step 1: Heater Core
Step 2: put every thing else on and around it
Posted on: 2009/2/5 17:52

CentralCoaster Re: Heater core
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Pod wrote:
I did not check to see what it would cost for me to have someone else do it but I bet it aint cheap.

Calling and getting a quote AFTER you finish the work is the most gratifying part!
Posted on: 2009/2/5 22:04

Pod Re: Heater core
Guru Newb
Columbia, Ms
44 Posts

Quote:

Epimax1 wrote:
Congratulations!!
I replaced my heater core back in December, and it's not something I'd want to make a habit of!!
Mine started leaking last spring, so I just bypassed it, and started procrastinating! You're right, it's not cheap to have it replaced at the shop. Just for kicks, I called a few places and around here they were 'willing' to charge around $600.00! Ha! With a little time and patience, I did it myself for free! From everything I've read, the heater core exchange is one of the most dreaded repairs known to vette owners! Well Done!!

Nice Vert!!

Thanks, looks like we got the same rims.
Posted on: 2009/2/7 7:08

TommyT-Bone Re: Heater core
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33779 Posts

Yup,costs about $600 at the shop. Double that at the dealer.
Posted on: 2009/2/7 12:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.