Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
230 user(s) are online (178 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH700R4 / 4L60
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users
 Register To Post

Dads90 A/C help
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

So I got everything I need to recharge my system. Gauges, R12, manuals with pressure readings and temperature range. I've have watched it being done, but it was a year ago and I don't remember the low side and high side. I think the low side line is the fitting near the accumulator. Is the high side fitting on a smaller line near the cooling coil ? I'm also hoping the compressor will kick on when I put it on max cold, cause not sure how to jumper it, any help guys, thanks.
Posted on: 2009/3/9 3:10

CentralCoaster Re: A/C help
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The high pressure side is after the compressor and before the condenser up front, the small one. Do you have the funky small GM fitting? I had to buy an adapter for it from that auto a/c site with the forum, I forget the url.

The low side is on the accumulator (which is on the compressor inlet side).

A fellow CF'er helped me with mine. Or more correctly, I helped him while he did most of the work.

I used about 4.5 cans. 4 cans probably would've been fine. Basically it's hard to get everything out of the last few cans because the system pressure is that much higher and the pressure in the cans can't overcome it as easily.

I had to jumper the compressor at the low pressure switch. If your system already has some charge, you may not need to. I changed the accumulator, it does most of it's work on the initial startup, especially on a dead system with new components.

I guess we must have added the oil first, although you can also just pour it in if the system is completely empty. You don't want to leave the compressor jumpered any longer than you have to.

I would recommend getting ahold of someone more experienced to help you through it. Make sure your hoses will seal up well, two of the hoses that I tried using were defective right out of the package.
Posted on: 2009/3/9 16:42

Dads90 Re: A/C help
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Thanks CC, last time the AC guuy only put a single can of R12 in. My leak is very minimal, but the AC light has been flashing for a couple of months. I would just put it on Bi Level. I'm afraid there is still some refrigerate and pressure involved. I would have to have the refrig.(whats left) recovered before the accumulator could be replaced. I would like to have someone with experience take a look at it, but the last time it looked so easy (hell I can do this). I bought eight cans of R12 and I'm going to need it soon.
Posted on: 2009/3/10 2:05

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well shit, just hook up the guage set and feed a can in through the low pressure port.

All you need to know is that magical number.

Some guys go by vent temperature. Drop that down to 44 degrees or so. Make sure you do it on a relatively warm day, or at least block off the condenser.
Posted on: 2009/3/10 2:59

1Fast04Vert Re: A/C help
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

i wouldn't block off the condenser, doing that destroys the efficiency of the system and causes high head pressure. Otherwise everything else said is right on.
Posted on: 2009/3/11 23:12

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

I wanted to try this weekend, but it is going to to be too cool out. Oh what else is new ? Warm all week, getting home late, too lazy to fire her up.
Posted on: 2009/3/12 2:23

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

I wanted to try this weekend, but it is going to to be too cool out. Oh what else is new ? Warm all week, getting home late, too lazy to fire her up.
Posted on: 2009/3/12 2:23

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
i wouldn't block off the condenser, doing that destroys the efficiency of the system and causes high head pressure. Otherwise everything else said is right on.

That's the entire point. During recharging, if its too cold out you may never see the output pressure you're aiming for and can end up overcharging the system (or freezing the coil trying.)
Posted on: 2009/3/12 2:27

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

OK guys went to put the gauges on the car tonight and the high pressure fitting is smaller than my red hose fitting. Any idea where I can get an adaptor ?
Posted on: 2009/3/17 2:03

joeld Re: A/C help
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Are you sure your gauges are for R12? Usually the parts stores around here only carry the 134 gauges.

Joel
Posted on: 2009/3/17 2:38

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Quote:

joeld wrote:
Are you sure your gauges are for R12? Usually the parts stores around here only carry the 134 gauges.

Joel

Oh ya, got both set of gauges. My 134 gauge has quick disconnects.
Posted on: 2009/3/17 4:00

joeld Re: A/C help
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

If you still need that adaptor, this might be the source. I have not looked thru all of the stuff, but you might get lucky.
Joel

http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?Sc ... Code=RefrigerantGaugeSets
Posted on: 2009/3/18 2:17

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'm pretty sure this is the adapter I bought for hooking up to the high pressure line...

http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?Sc ... tegory_Code=chargeadapter
Posted on: 2009/3/18 9:21

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is the adapter I bought for hooking up to the high pressure line...

http://www.ackits.com/merchant.mvc?Sc ... tegory_Code=chargeadapter

Just ordered it, thanks CC. Now I can't get the damn compressor to kick on. Would putting in some freon put enough pressure to kick it on ? And how do I jumper it ?
Posted on: 2009/3/19 2:52

TommyT-Bone Re: A/C help
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33772 Posts

My way is a gypsy way but it worked. I took a jumper cable connected to the positive terminal across the top of the motor to the A/C compressor. With a wood handled nail punch I peirced through one of the two black wires (I can't remember which one) that run on top of the compressor and down the front face of it. Place a scrap of cardboard or rubber between the wires and the compressor or you'll ground the nail punch to the compressor. Sparks will fly. With the nail punch embedded in the wire (with the insulator in place under it) touch the jumper cable to the metal shaft of the nail punch while you hold the wooden handle. It will trip the compressor on. Do not hold it there but pulsate it in short bursts of several seconds till the compressor runs on it's own. Usually after 3 or 4 attempts. Now all you need to figure is which wire. I think it's the one closest to center. Of course your can of refrigerant and hose are already attached to the low pressure end of the system before you do this. I know there has to be a better way so I'll watch for other comments. Patch the wire with some electrical tape to cover the small hole you made with the sharp nail punch. A thin sharp ice pick would probably work good too.
Posted on: 2009/3/19 3:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Thanks Tommy, if the weather warms up I will give this a try. Of course I'm now waiting on the fitting.
Posted on: 2009/3/19 4:06

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

On my 85 its the circular connector that hooks up to the line near the top of the evaporator coil.
Posted on: 2009/3/19 4:20

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Well another " Big Crap" comment coming. Got the fitting, thanks CC, its perfect. Now I hooked up the gauges, the low side pressure was high and the high side is low. I couldn't get the compressor to kick on. I tried the jumper trick. (is this right ?) Disconnected the wire from the ( high pressure line ) cycle switch. Tried to put 12 volts into one side of the fitting, nothing but some smoke popped up. This is where the "CRAP" came in. Didn't seem to hurt any thing ( no blown fuses) pulled out the jumper quick. Now I'm stuck, might be taking it to an AC guy. Any thoughts ?
Posted on: 2009/3/26 1:45

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

OK I got it going. The jumper involves placing a paperclip between the the two female inlets of the high pressure cycle switch. Just unplug it and stick the clip into the connector. Now the ECM has detected a low freon code and won't let the compressor kick on. So I disconnected the battery to clear the code. With everything hooked up, I started the car and put the AC on high. I first added the refrigerate with 2oz. of oil. Then came the R12. Once I got the compressor to stop cycling frequently, I reconnected the cycle switch and it stayed on and took the charge. Low pressure,, 31. High pressure,, 220. 72 degrees at 81 % humidity. Numbers look OK. Thanks all
Posted on: 2009/3/27 19:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.