Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
247 user(s) are online (201 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
1994-1996, the 4L60 with Electronic Control. From what I have seen, it seems a bit more durable....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Slrvette 84 Compression Testing
Guru Newb
Clifton Park-NY
17 Posts

Hey guys,
See a bunch of you over here.
Anyways my project this time is on my wifes 84, her car has 219k on it and does run rather well. Last spring I replaced the heads on my 84, I took those and sent them out to get redone in hopes of putting them on hers. But before I do I wanted to do at least a dry/wet compression test.
These are what I came up with.
Cyl Dry Wet
1 150 152
3 140 155
5 160 158
7 145 150
2 155 155
4 150 150
6 180 180
8 155 179

It looks like I do have some ring wear which would be normal since the mileage is high. So what do you think: can I get by with just the reconditioned heads or should I just pull it and do it right?
Posted on: 2007/12/29 22:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster RE:84 Compression Testing
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Sorry but I personally wouldn't pay any attention to those numbers unless you do it on a warm motor. 84s especially, because they have forged pistons and are going to let more past the rings when cold.

I know it's not fun to pull plugs on a hot motor, but use some gloves.

Also after I do a check, I put the plugs back in and warm it back up, recharge the battery, then do another check in the reverse order. Because you'll find that as you do the test the engine cools, and the battery gets run down, both which decrease your compression numbers.

Although I may try my hand at leak down checks now that I have a compressor.
Posted on: 2007/12/29 23:12

NorCal86 RE:84 Compression Testing
Guru Newb
Sacramento
3 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by, "Do it right."

The car has over 200K miles and you say it is running well. I wouldn't do a thing to it that wasn't clearly required and would start planning for a complete rebuild, crate replacement or a younger car. I would lean toward the younger car option (fewer miles on the odometer). Just my opinion.
Posted on: 2007/12/29 23:18

Slrvette RE:84 Compression Testing
Guru Newb
Clifton Park-NY
17 Posts

Quote:
Sorry but I personally wouldn't pay any attention to those numbers unless you do it on a warm motor. 84s especially, because they have forged pistons and are going to let more past the rings when cold.

I know it's not fun to pull plugs on a hot motor, but use some gloves.

Also after I do a check, I put the plugs back in and warm it back up, recharge the battery, then do another check in the reverse order. Because you'll find that as you do the test the engine cools, and the battery gets run down, both which decrease your compression numbers.

Although I may try my hand at leak down checks now that I have a compressor.

The engine was hot when I first did my checks and I ended up doing them a few times as the engine cooled down. Those set of numbers were taken when the engine was still warm.
Last summer I noticed that when she started the car up it would blow smoke until it warmed up so at the time I assumed it needed a valve job.

NorCal86- "Do it Right" to me means to get a replacement crate motor for it.
Posted on: 2007/12/29 23:45

CFI-EFI RE:84 Compression Testing
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

You have a car with a lot of miles. The 140# to 160# spread shows it isn't a new engine, but also, that it isn't on it's last legs. The puffs of blue smoke on start up are from oil passing through the valve guides. Very often on a high mileage engine after a new valve job the rings become overpowered and a new set of symptoms appear. You could try installing new valve stem oil seals if the smoking really bothers you, but the chances are that the guides are worn so badly that the valves, loose in the guides, will batter the new seals into a short life. The seals are about a $40.00 gamble for seals and gaskets. The valve job is a bigger gamble. My advice is to live with it until you are prepared to do it right. We all have different ways, but I would go out and buy a core engine I could build up while I was using the last of the old engines capabilities. In fact I am in the middle of that plan as we speak.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2007/12/30 1:41

CasetheCorvetteman RE:84 Compression Testing
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
I would lean toward the younger car option (fewer miles on the odometer). Just my opinion.

I never ever would, simply cause the age of the vehicle means next to nothing, and in my opinion, its better the devil you know.

Just as a further example, i had an 87 coupe for 6 years, i replaced the A/C compressor, rebuilt the starter motor, and rebuilt the alternator. The car was extremely reliable the whole time i had it. I moved up to the 94 i have now, and it was full of issues coming up all over the place cause it had been mistreated.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 2:40

Guru Newb
Clifton Park-NY
17 Posts

Thanks CFI, thats the info I was looking for. I had a feeling that by putting the reconditioned heads on it would create more problems than whats its worth. The smoke bothers me not her... I'm sure we can keep it going for another year or so.
The engine core idea is good maybe rather than pick up an extra crate for it, I'll just get a core to build myself... its a good learning experience.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 3:45

RRTvette RE:84 Compression Testing
Guru
Bogalusa, LA
50 Posts

I agree. Those numbers aren't horrible. Keep driving it.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 6:10

CFI-EFI RE:84 Compression Testing
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
I agree. Those numbers aren't horrible. Keep driving it.
They are bad enough. They are in excess of the generally accepted problematic 10%, but they aren't so bad that it can't run decently, for now. I would definitely be making plans before it becomes a serious problem. Mine is my DD. Even though I have a back up, I'd hate to make the back up my DD for long.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2007/12/31 0:29

jsup RE:84 Compression Testing
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

HEY!! CFI-EFI Nice to see you around.

Sorry for the hijack. This is all.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 0:33

Guru Newb
Clifton Park-NY
17 Posts

Well fortunetly for me our vettes are just pleasure cruisers. We don't use them for DD.
I'm gonna take CFI's advice and just get a motor prepped to install in the next couple of years.
But at least by doing this it gives me an idea of what shape the motor's in. I may go ahead and do it on mine as well. Mine however only has 67k. Not that it makes in any better, but it doesn't hurt to check.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 20:42

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.