Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
273 user(s) are online (208 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  MAF
Mass Air Flow sensor. Used to measure the amount of air entering the intake. This sensor works by heating an element and then measuring the rate of c...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk #$&^*!@ Trans
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Well, if you've been paying attention to daily chat I started my rear end/u-joint/wheel bearing/tear every damn thing apart project today. Got some solid work done. Rear is out, everything pretty much disassembled. It was a b#$@ to get all those little u joint strap bolts out and the c-beam bolts were even worse. Corrosion over 20 years has taken its toll.

So....Two questions:

1) While attempting to change the driven gear, this damn sensor piece broke. It is called, according to FSM, "fitting assembly, speedo driven gear". I found the part # for my car is 25007224 for stock, but gmpartsdirect has it listed for like 92.00. Ugh. I found a whole set at bowtie transmissions for $70, but it's not exactly the same. I'd like to just get a stock replacement. Any ideas?

2) I have the green gear to replace the one I have to go from the 2.59s to the 3.07s. I am supposed to flip some other gear 180* or something. I don't understand exactly which one or how I'm supposed to do it. Can someone explain?

I've got some pics below.

Thanks,

Matthew

What it looked like before I started:
Photobucket

Broken MFer!
Photobucket

What is should sorta look like:
Photobucket

What the trans looks like w/o tailshaft housing (you can see the other gears)
Photobucket

PS - what's the white stuff? It was kinda blotchy and when I rubbed it with my finger it smeared?!?
Photobucket
Posted on: 2009/4/19 1:42

CSS996 Re: #$&^*!@ Trans
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Shoot man. Wish I could help. Hopefully someone will chime in soon. Gonna be a different car once everything is done!
Posted on: 2009/4/19 2:30

vetteoz Re: #$&^*!@ Trans
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I am supposed to flip some other gear 180* or something. I don't understand exactly which one or how I'm supposed to do it. Can someone explain?

The shaft that the gear fits on in the piece you broke ( commonly called the VSS ) is offset .When the VSS is installed 180 degrees from stock postition it accomodates the speedo gear change you are doing without having to buy the correct VSS ; saves $$$
As you have buy a new one anyway , you could buy the correct one

Photobucket
Posted on: 2009/4/19 2:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: #$&^*!@ Trans
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

vetteoz wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I am supposed to flip some other gear 180* or something. I don't understand exactly which one or how I'm supposed to do it. Can someone explain?

The shaft that the gear fits on in the piece you broke ( commonly called the VSS ) is offset .When the VSS is installed 180 degrees from stock postition it accomodates the speedo gear change you are doing without having to buy the correct VSS ; saves $$$
As you have buy a new one anyway , you could buy the correct one

So I can just buy the one for the stock 3.07 gear and use it with the green gear I bought? I can get the part # from the parts catalog easily enough.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/19 3:23

CFI-EFI Re: #$&^*!@ Trans
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
So I can just buy the one for the stock 3.07 gear and use it with the green gear I bought? I can get the part # from the parts catalog easily enough.

Matthew

I know you have the answer from reading your other thread but just to finish this off and set the record straight. As stated the shaft offset for the two VSSes is different. And the wrong VSS can be rotated 180° to save buying a VSS when making a gear ratio change. However, the VSS only changes when the drive gear changes. Since your old 2.59 gears uses the same red, 17 tooth drive gear, the VSS stays the same and shouldn't be rotated. If you were changing rear gears that required the grey, 15 tooth drive gear, you would need the other VSS or to rotate your old VSS.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/4/19 17:09

Matatk Re: #$&^*!@ Trans
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Thanks for the follow up there. Might help someone else in the future.

For future search sake, here's that other thread:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... 127&forum=1&post_id=83884
Posted on: 2009/4/19 17:15

CentralCoaster Re: #$&^*!@ Trans
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

CFI-EFI wrote:
I know you have the answer from reading your other thread but just to finish this off and set the record straight. As stated the shaft offset for the two VSSes is different. And the wrong VSS can be rotated 180° to save buying a VSS when making a gear ratio change. However, the VSS only changes when the drive gear changes. Since your old 2.59 gears uses the same red, 17 tooth drive gear, the VSS stays the same and shouldn't be rotated. If you were changing rear gears that required the grey, 15 tooth drive gear, you would need the other VSS or to rotate your old VSS.

RACE ON!!!

That's not true. A smaller driven gear will also require a different offset to mesh with the drive gear. I forget what the cutoff point is, somewhere around 40 teeth that GM decided it needed a different offset.

This will tell you what parts you should be using, if you don't have the correct VSS as shown in this link, flip it 180 and give that a shot.

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting/techinfo/speedocalc.html
Posted on: 2009/4/20 0:44

dan0617 Re: #$&^*!@ Trans
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Great find on the vss for that price, you listed in the other thread. I, too, went from 2.59's to 3.07's. I, too, broke my vss. I did have to "rotate" it 180 degrees to install the new driven gear. If you look closely at the end of it that the gear was on you can see the shaft is offset from center just a little. That is the best way to describe it, but you are already past this point!
Posted on: 2009/4/20 0:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.