Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
170 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D36
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 199...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

mojo92 Need help removing paint
Guru
Tifton,Ga.
58 Posts

I just got another set of factory wheels from a guy today. He painted the wheels with spray paint (black). How do I get the paint off so I can repaint them right. Keep in mind that they have tires around them, I don't want to have them taken off then put back on. So I need something thats good,fast,cheap and gets the job done..(sounds like a girl I know to well ). Also what sandpaper would I use to get them ready for new paint?
Posted on: 2009/7/22 5:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DreamRide Re: Need help removing paint
Senior Guru
Springfield, TN
226 Posts

Depends on what type of paint you're going back with. If you're spray bombing you can wet sand them down with 220 grit. If you're going to use real paint they'll have to be stripped completely of the PO's spray bomb, because any paint with a reducer and/or hardener will eat it off and then you've really got a mess.
That is unless they've come up with a new real paint I haven't heard of yet.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 11:56

pianoguy Re: Need help removing paint
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

They say that old brake fluid is mankind's greatest paint remover, might be worth a shot.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 12:13

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BillH Re: Need help removing paint
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Actually, I have to agree and disagree with Donnie (Dreamride). 220 wet sand is the way to go if you want the wheels to look decent.
Any chemical strippers would probably eat the wheels unless they're steel. And I wouldn't want it on the tires.
The best way would be to remove the tires and soda blast, yea, costs a good bit.
"good,fast,cheap and gets the job done" is impossible unless you remove the "cheap". Sanding isn't fast but is good and gets the job done.
You don't have to go to bare metal but do need a good skuffing, blend in any chips in the paint and remove any road grime/grease. Put a shot of Dawn in the sanding water.

You can shoot 2 part paint over rattlecans, I do it a lot.
Donnie, the pics you saw of my helmit,etc. had PPG 2 part urathane shot over quite a few different rattlecans.

Mojo, you may want to take a look at Duplicolor wheel paint in the rattlecans, I did the wheels on my race trailer and it really holds up.
Posted on: 2009/7/22 13:14

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
They say that old brake fluid is mankind's greatest paint remover, might be worth a shot.

That will bubble the new paint, Brad, if you don't get it completely off (hard to do on a wheel).
Posted on: 2009/7/22 13:15

Flashman Re: Need help removing paint
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hi All,

I used gel paint stripper from home depot to strip the clear coat on my aluminum wheels on my 86 vette. It worked great. I used a brush to paint it on. It will wrinkle the paint in 15 minutes. Then wipe it off. I also sanded them and polished the wheels. Dont get it on plastic or rubber surfaces. That is the fastest and cheapest way to do it. If the paint on the wheels are fresh, try laquer thinner. Also, if you are going to paint or clear the wheel. Use high temp paint or the clear will yellow when the wheels get hot from braking. Good luck.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/7/23 3:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

That's interesting, Joe. I have some HD stripper laying around the shop. I'll have to paint some scrap aluminum and try it.

I agree on the hi temp clear, I know the Duplicolor wheel paint is hi temp.
Posted on: 2009/7/23 13:11

1Fast04Vert Re: Need help removing paint
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I also used paint stripper on 2 sets of 95 sawblades and it stripped the wheels in just 5 minutes and then I hosed off the stripper and all of the paint. I used aircraft paint stipper from Lowes/Home Depot as it dos not harm aluminum, however the can says it is harmful to rubber. It will take the paint of off anything, everything, so be very carefull, especially over spray if you use the rattle cans. After I used the stipper then some fine steel wool and Blue Magic metal polish and they shined up like new.
Posted on: 2009/7/23 13:58

SSPerformance Re: Need help removing paint
Registered Vendor
Southern New Jersey
16 Posts

Just about any chemical stripper will harm the rubber. Chemical strippeers are great but if you don't completely remove them they will cause problems with the new paint.

I am a fan of soda blasting. Will not harm the aluminum and cleanup is a breaze. They mignt beable to do it with the tire on the wheel. Check with someone that does soda blasting.

Good Luck
Posted on: 2009/7/23 16:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.