Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SBC
This stands for Small Block Chevrolet. The engine debuted in 1955 and remained largely unchanged until 1986. The initials are still used today to d...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus Ignitions...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

I have come to the conclusion that I have the one of the best ignition option available.

LTCC & a capless DynaSpark.

The new style LTCC harness is a huge improvement over the old school unit. The old harness was an octopus of wire. It was about 5' long and had 8 individual coil plugs.

The new harness is now about 6' long and has two long pig tails that connect to GM sourced coil harnesses.

The end result? The LTCC brain can now be moved farther forward and lower in the engine compartment. I have mine located down by the overflow tank. The LTCC box does not like heat, so that's really quite far from heat.

It isn't a bad idea to seal the LTCC with RTV, it will keep it dry inside.

I bought cool brackets for the coils. They are aluminum and mount the coils atop the valve covers. They look awesome!

Finally, I made some nice wires using a Taylor universal kit.

I will take some pics of the setup.
Posted on: 2009/10/16 1:27

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Ignitions...
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

Or you could buy a car without an optispark

Looking forward to pics.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/16 2:00

SpectatorRacing Re: Ignitions...
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Hey Andy, any chance you can take photos of the LTCC PCB before sealing it?
Posted on: 2009/10/16 14:26

bogus Re: Ignitions...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

I think I have one... lemme dig...
Posted on: 2009/10/17 6:05

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I think I have one... lemme dig...

Any luck?
Posted on: 2009/10/20 19:18

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

not yet, but I will take one.
Posted on: 2009/10/21 1:43

MK 82 Re: Ignitions...
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

How much do you have invested in this ignition?
Posted on: 2009/10/22 22:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

A lot, really...

The LTCC is $399... the brackets were $130, the coils were at least $200... The wires are another $75 once you buy the wires and the LT1 ends. Then there is the DynaSpark... another $500! And all the updated GM harnesses... Another $100 I would guess.

I never said it was cheap... just REALLY good.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 3:35

Aboatguy Re: Ignitions...
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that I have the one of the best ignition option available.

LTCC & a capless DynaSpark.

The new style LTCC harness is a huge improvement over the old school unit. The old harness was an octopus of wire. It was about 5' long and had 8 individual coil plugs.

The new harness is now about 6' long and has two long pig tails that connect to GM sourced coil harnesses.

The end result? The LTCC brain can now be moved farther forward and lower in the engine compartment. I have mine located down by the overflow tank. The LTCC box does not like heat, so that's really quite far from heat.

It isn't a bad idea to seal the LTCC with RTV, it will keep it dry inside.

I bought cool brackets for the coils. They are aluminum and mount the coils atop the valve covers. They look awesome!

Finally, I made some nice wires using a Taylor universal kit.

I will take some pics of the setup.
I'd Quote:

bogus wrote:
A lot, really...

The LTCC is $399... the brackets were $130, the coils were at least $200... The wires are another $75 once you buy the wires and the LT1 ends. Then there is the DynaSpark... another $500! And all the updated GM harnesses... Another $100 I would guess.

I never said it was cheap... just REALLY good.

What makes it better than the factory OPTI?

The OPTI on my Corvette has survived numerous excursions above 7000 rpm (OK not much above since my fuel cut off is 7005 but it occasionally hits the limiter and I rev above 6800 rpm DAILY with zero drama). The OPTI on my 1995 Impala leads a more pedestrian life, however, it has about 160K on it with original cap and rotor (I'm second owner and have the maintenance records from day one)

When I first started modding my Corvette I bought into the opti suck mantra perpetuated on the internet. So I contacted (three different tuners IRT which ignition system to use and they all told me FACTORY OPTI)

In my search for more power I've talked with talked with numerous experts and long story short ignition upgrade was never suggested as a source of additional power.

So what makes LTCC better than a factory vented opti?

Is there an aftermarket ignition that has gone 160K miles unmolested (that would put it in the same reliablilty camp as my factory opti)?

Do you have before and after dyno logs or timeslips showing an increase in horsepower due to ignition?

I do know that the coil on plug systems look sexier than the old reliable opti I just don't see a real world performance benefit with them .......

Mike
Posted on: 2009/10/23 8:55

Josh Re: Ignitions...
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Regardless of your luck with stock opti units, the units are incredibly prone to failure. A stock opti is far from the most reliable set up available. I have never seen a power increase from swapping out a stock opti for another ignition system, but most people ditch the OE opti for reliability reasons, not power production.

Jonescap has been through 3 or 4 opti units on his 96 CE, in less than 20,000 miles. The MSD unit on the car now has more more miles on it than the last 3 OE units combined.

Bogus has had his fair share of problems as well.

Spectator racing has had more failures than I have fingers.

That's just people on this forum, that I know about. Let alone the few dozen cars I've worked on that had opti problems.

If you ever take an OE unit apart, it's easy to see why they fail. There is plastic casting flash all over inside the unit, the rotors wobble around, the screws that hold the rotor back out, the wheel wobbles around, the wheel smacks the encoder when it wobbles putting wear on the encoder, and then there is the water issue.

I know of some cars that have close to 200K on the stock opti, and one car that has 240K on the OE unit. However, these cars seem to be the exception. I'm glad you've had good luck with your OE units, but not everyone does.

Edit: As far as your opti seeing 7,000 RPM, it doesn't. It would see 1/2 of crank RPM since it's driven by the cam at a 1:1 ratio. At 7000 the opti is only turning 3500.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 13:23

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Mike, it's kind of like insurance.

And you don't have to spend as much as Andy did. I am using a Delteq, I paid $300 for it. Plus about $50 to have my spark plug wires re-cut to the right lengths. I used an old opti, gutted the spinning parts, machined a spacer to replace the rotor, and viola, car hasn't had trouble since.

I did lose a coil in September, but the coils on it were used when I bought them, and a new one was $25 at Autozone. The best part of that was that they were in stock...no more "rare special order parts come back Monday" BS. It failed, took me 10 minutes to diagnose, 15 minutes to get to the store and back, and 5 minutes to replace the coil. Back on track for the next session.

You're also replacing the ignition module. Although I've never had a problem with mine, I've read that lots of LT1 owners do.

The biggest failures I had can probably be attributed to higher RPM, or perhaps vibration. Either way, they're gone.

The only bad news is that Delteq is out of business. I like the LS1 conversion that pops up on here every now and then as a replacement.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 14:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Delteq is outta biz? Damn... that sucks.

I like the LS1 conversion, too... just don't know how it works with the CCM! I guess that's why the old engine controller needs to stay online.

As for why: I replaced my opti in Feb 2001. Just a few months after buying the car.

In April 2002, I got stuck in the midst of a killer gullywasher of a rain storm and the opti was drowned in a huge assed puddle as I limped home.

by the summer of 2003, it was obvious I had cap/rotor issues... but I didn't want to just replace the cap/rotor...

So I went the way of LTCC. And that means my opti lasted a total of 110k miles.

From my estimations, opti fixes all suck... they are either expensive or potentially unreliable. I went with the expensive option.

I don't even want to get into the discussion of remanned optis. YUCK.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 18:28

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Delteq is outta biz? Damn... that sucks.

I like the LS1 conversion, too... just don't know how it works with the CCM! I guess that's why the old engine controller needs to stay online....

Oh yeah, I always forget that other LT1 owners have to worry about that. I have all analog guages so it doesn't matter to me. My CCM's been sitting on a shelf in the garage for 5 years.
Posted on: 2009/10/23 18:48

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

I did check the delteq site... they sure so put up a good act!!!
Posted on: 2009/10/23 21:17

Steve40th Re: Ignitions...
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

One of the gentlemen of DELTEQ, also of the electromotive igniton of years ago, had a very serious family illnes etc. And the other guy was swooped up by the government for a super secret squirrel job. Its a shame as I have a delteq. When they were a company, 2 years ago, they had great customer service etc.
I have called, faxed and emailed to no avail. Once/if my delteq dies, I will either have a LS conversion or LTCC.
Posted on: 2009/10/24 1:56

MK 82 Re: Ignitions...
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Here is the one that I think is cool. No opti of any form.

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/default.aspx
Posted on: 2009/10/24 5:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
One of the gentlemen of DELTEQ, also of the electromotive igniton of years ago, had a very serious family illnes etc. And the other guy was swooped up by the government for a super secret squirrel job. Its a shame as I have a delteq. When they were a company, 2 years ago, they had great customer service etc.
I have called, faxed and emailed to no avail. Once/if my delteq dies, I will either have a LS conversion or LTCC.

I remembered the Electromotive connection. I didn't know about the illness; sorry to hear.

I wonder if they are holding the business "open" whilst dealing with these various outside issues and projects? I mean the website looks like an open business. If it was me, and it had been successful, I would hold it. Then again, I would consider keeping a CSR on staff to answer emails or whatnot...
Posted on: 2009/10/24 16:09

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Quote:

DropTopCE wrote:
Here is the one that I think is cool. No opti of any form.

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/default.aspx

They are very much on my radar.

At some point, I will update my system to SFI and that's where the next big decision comes in... and I am leaning more towards 1994 LT1 PCM... I have all I need to go that route, vs trashing all of what I have and losing the CCM (ABS/ASR) for the LS1 PCM.
Posted on: 2009/10/24 16:13

Steve40th Re: Ignitions...
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

This is what I did to my opti with the delteq so I didnt have to deal with potential failure of the plate under the rotor not getting a signal to the Optical sensor.
I am sure LTCC only needs the sensor too.
http://teamprickracing.com/twinturbo/rebuild2003/another_opti/
Posted on: 2009/10/25 23:44

Aboatguy Re: Ignitions...
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Quote:

Josh wrote:Spectator racing has had more failures than I have fingers.

That's just people on this forum, that I know about. Let alone the few

Edit: As far as your opti seeing 7,000 RPM, it doesn't. It would see 1/2 of crank RPM since it's driven by the cam at a 1:1 ratio. At 7000 the opti is only turning 3500.
Spectactor racing talks about other issues that may compound his opti problem

For everyone complaining about a bad opti there are thousands of optis that work...

I have the Vented opti while many of the folks with problems have the unvented

Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and work on the assumption that you really believed that I did not know that the cam is driven at half engine speed and was using opti speed not engine rpm...... So yes I was using engine rpm....If I wrote that my opti survived excursions above 3500 rpm 99.99999% of the folks reading would think WTF so what?....

Once again I will state that when I first started my mods I wanted a different ignition and the two tuners I talked to IRT parts combinations suggested I stick with the factory OPTI. (both are highly respected LTX tuners that had LTX cars running in the single digit territory (sub 10 second 1/4s) So I stayed with FACTORY optis)

I believe that some folks have trouble with their vented opti....however, I also believe that if you are munching an opti on a regular basis you have something else going on that is contributing to the OPTI failure.
Posted on: 2009/10/29 23:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.