Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
274 user(s) are online (221 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  New Hampshire Motor Speedway
This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway.

Also known as NHMS....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

tpi421vett New SBC aftrmarket block
Registered Vendor
Salt Lake City Utah
125 Posts

I was at my machine shop today, Strasburg Machine. They run a top fuel car, do several Alcohol and pro mod engines. They are a hard core race engine machine shop. I was talking to Lindsey, the tuner and manager of the shop. Procomp out of Australia now is making SBC's that are a clone of a Dart block. It has billet steel 4 bolt main caps, and will handle a 4.200" bore. So you could go 450+ ci with it. I saw it, and it looks pretty beefy! it has a high nickel content, and the metal content of a high dollar race block. Oh... it's called Procomp out of Australia. Strasburg machine is a W/D for them. Their number is 801-785-2753. It will take a 4.200" bore, and you can go past 450ci with it. It is in the $13XX plus shipping range.

They have done several high hp engines using these blocks, and they have worked perfect.

Actually, it looks better than my bowtie block!

They also make a Ford version that can go to 460 based off a 351 windsor.

I'm not making a dime off any of this, just trying to put the word out there are some new options out there. The more options the better!

Jim
Posted on: 2009/12/4 7:32
450ci now with AFR 235...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: New SBC aftrmarket block
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If it is a good as prior Australian metal, it should be great.

I wonder about the casting these days... that's my only worry.

Case???
Posted on: 2009/12/4 9:44

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

vis_croceus Re: New SBC aftrmarket block
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Pretty well known by now that these blocks are complete junk.

Quote:
Some of the Key ingredients in cast iron to make it strong are Nickel,Molybdenum, Copper

The Little-M nickel content is 0.149, Molybdenum 0.211, Copper 0.404

Dart SHP Nickel content is 0.071, Molybdenum .016, copper 0.283

Chinese block Nickel content is 0.005, Molybdenum 0.005, Copper 0.020

Leo did the Brinell test by using the Rockwell B Scale and converting it to Brinell scale and he will back this test.

Little-M tested 200

SHP 190

Chinese block 107

I am sure the chinese blocks will vary from block to block and now I see why when I had to line hone the chinese block it kept loading the stones up as it was extremely soft.

http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewto ... s=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Quote:

We have one in shop right now and have looked it over and checked it for brinnel test and it seems to be a very soft block as it tested in the low 140's

To give you an idea a 010 block is around 180ish and SHP block tested mid 190's and the Little-M and Big-M are mid 230's because of the nickel content.

It lools like the block is finished honed and I have not probed it out for locations for deck heights, cylinder bore loctaions, lifter bore locations ETC.

Looks like once the cylinders were honed they decked the blocka nd left a burr at the top of the cylinder as there is a zero chamfer on the tops of the cylinders.

The lifter bores have a huge ridge at the top and on the bottom of the bores I would assume from machining the soft cast iron.

With that soft of bore it would wear the cylinders out in a short time as well as the lifter bores.

The rear main cap is not even flat where the pump sets on and they have welded what it looks like a insert where the threads are.

I will post pics later on and what we find for demensions in another thead.

For right now it does not look like a very high end peice and is surely a copy cat of the Dart Little-M block

I beleive PBM is selling them with their name on them!!

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic. ... s=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Lots more similar information out there in google land...
Posted on: 2009/12/4 9:54

vis_croceus Re: New SBC aftrmarket block
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

hell, it's already been posted on this forum, and the OP of this thread even posted in that one:

Quote:

tpi421vett wrote:
I comes down to the basic... you get what you pay for!

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... hp?topic_id=10342&forum=1
Posted on: 2009/12/4 10:01

cuisinartvette Re: New SBC aftrmarket block
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[QUOTE]Keith Morganstein wrote:
I think one needs to be careful when saying the PBM blocks are the same as the chinese blocks.

I have found evidence online that Haigh Blocks Ltd. (they are a New Zealand foundry casting Co.) Recently shipped to both PBM and Comp cams

PBM received an undisclosed amount of engine blocks. "Example Customer: Pbm Performance Products (last shipment included "Engine Blocks")"

http://panjiva.com/Haigh-Blocks-Ltd/1781004

Comp received a total 6575Kg of castings in a recent shipment (RHS heads??)

http://www.importgenius.com/shipments/haigh-blocks.html

Also consider price point. The Chinese block sold as Pro Comp on eBay sells for $1000 or less.

The PBM block sells for $2155, close to a Little M. PBM says their block is high quality high nickle. They would need a big set of #$%@ to sell the $1000 block for $2155

Someone needs to have both blocks side by side before making claims that it's the same block. [/QUOTE]

Keith

I have alot more info on these blocks then I am telling and they are the same castings and the PBM blocks are sent to Florida for engraving on the caps and block and stud kit added and line honed and finished machined.

Look at the casting lines on the side of the blocks as they are the same and a simple brinell test well verify what I have been saying.

Look at the oil galley hole that goes through the lifter bores and they are to low and they are not the same height from front to rear and we can see that by eye and if the rear cap looks like there is a plug welded in for the threads.
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT

We are WD on Dart, Wiseco, JE, CP, Crower, Manley, CARRILLO, Callies, King's Crankshaft. COMP CAMS, Diamond pistons ETC.

CARL HINKSON 207-892-7215

------------------------------------------------------------

Id trust Carls feedback, super knowledgable guy.
Guess anyone can import a part and stamp a name on it to help it sell. Scary stuff out there, never know what youre getting. PBM is a huge company that sells everything from stock replacement parts to aftermarket "performance"
Again, nothing good is cheap. LOOKS dont mean anything its the little things that only a machinist can see that can add up to a HUGE bill or break your heart when he says you cant use it. Buy the Dart or use GM if you have to at least you know what youre getting.
Posted on: 2009/12/4 17:21

tpi421vett Re: New SBC aftrmarket block
Registered Vendor
Salt Lake City Utah
125 Posts

I just heard about this less expensive block, but after learning more about it, I think I will stick to what I know that works. A Dart or Bowtie block. It sounds like it's a Chinese knock off of a dart block. I was under the assumption this block came from Australia, but it sounds like it's chinese.

You do get what you pay for!
Posted on: 2009/12/4 21:40
450ci now with AFR 235...

anesthes Re: New SBC aftrmarket block
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

I wish I went with an aftermarket block.

2 bolt main, 400 block.

machinest things it will blow up after 500hp.. Recommends at least a main girdle, but says I should have splayed the mains..

uggg..

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/12/5 2:13

383tpimachine Re: New SBC aftrmarket block
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Little M FTW
every vette should have a 427
Posted on: 2009/12/5 2:48

BeachBum Re: New SBC aftrmarket block
Master Guru
751 Posts

I will say, I hope people buy Darts.... they are American made, plus Dart will be around tomorrow.... will ProComp ? PBM will probably be around, but will their engine department ? In my opinion, the block isn't a good place to save money.... its the bones of the body.... if they're brittle or weak, bad things happen.

I can tell you, the Chinese really killed the Manual Machine Tool market, just like engines and cylinder heads, they build a plethora of manual mills and lathes and import to us under a "large variety" of brand names..... and the low prices were just unbelievable .... people used to buy a Bridgeport for 10-15k.... the entry level Chinese mills were marketed at 2k..... real number !! They were lightweight pieces of junk, but they sold never the less....

Bridgeport went out of business years back in large part due to this. (However, their brand name was purchased by Hardinge, thus the brand lives on these days) My point, its just not a good thing.... I'd like to see some huge-ass tariffs from anything in regards to metallurgy coming from China..... I know it will not happen, but it'd sure be nice.

They are now building a plethora of CNC machines.... most low dollar, lightweight hunks of metal that couldn't hold a thou or two if your life depended on it.... but yet, they'll sell because of the price. They have foundries and factories for Machine Tools that you just wouldn't believe...... the Dalian factory is a city in itself, the workers live at the factory with their families in apartments, they have grocery stores, post office, etc..... they can pump out 10 times the machines a company like Haas can..... crazy stuff what they're doing over their !!
Posted on: 2009/12/6 6:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.