Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
306 user(s) are online (260 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D44
This references the rear differential.

The D36 was the smaller unit. Used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes after that.

The ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Dale1990 Help removing SuperRam
Senior Guru
Conway, AR
128 Posts

I am trying to replace the leaking injectors on the 86 and have hit a snag. I removed all of the bolts but I can't remove the lid. I've tried prying the lid at various points around the outside but it seems that it is recessed so I can't get under it. I've also tried to pry up from inside the plenum by standing on a large pipe run thru the TB mounting plate (TB is removed) with no luck.

To try to eliminate the numerous vacuum leaks we had, the last time we had it apart we used the Right Stuff smeared on the gasket material on reassembly. Not a good idea, apparently.

Any other ideas, tips, tricks? Are there any nifty chemicals to loosen up the RTV? Would applying heat help any?

Thanks!
Posted on: 2010/1/5 23:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Aardwolf Re: Help removing SuperRam
Senior Guru
Fremont, WI
209 Posts

Well if it was normal RTV I'd say pry harder. With the right stuff though I'm not sure it wouldn't hold and the metal crack. I've never used it. You could try soaking it with some solvent, thinner/brake cleaner or whatever.
Posted on: 2010/1/5 23:46

BillH Re: Help removing SuperRam
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Dale1990 wrote:
To try to eliminate the numerous vacuum leaks we had, the last time we had it apart we used the Right Stuff smeared on the gasket material on reassembly. Not a good idea, apparently.

Any other ideas, tips, tricks? Are there any nifty chemicals to loosen up the RTV? Would applying heat help any?

Thanks!

I've never worked with the S.Ram but the R/S is no harder to pry apart than RTV. I've used it on cast parts and steel oilpans.

There is a chemical that will loosen it up. Can you get to the sealed edges?
http://www.autobarn.net/per80647.html
Posted on: 2010/1/6 0:14

Aardwolf Re: Help removing SuperRam
Senior Guru
Fremont, WI
209 Posts

The casting on the SR isn't very good. When I take the lid off mine I use scraper between the lid and TB flange.
Posted on: 2010/1/6 0:38

Matatk Re: Help removing SuperRam
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Are you sure all of the bolts are out (not to sound insulting...but trust me, I've done that myself). Are you able to get a razor blade in between the lid and the plenum and score it?

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/1/6 12:27

Dale1990 Re: Help removing SuperRam
Senior Guru
Conway, AR
128 Posts

Yup, all the bolts are out. I can vividly remember drilling out each one . It's only the top lid so they are easy to see. I can't wait until I have to remove the plenum... Yay

I was using large screwdrivers to pry at the TB flange but they were too small. I'll head out and try to find something wider and stronger. I'll also take a peek for that RTV solvent.

This thing really makes me want to drop a MR or converted LT1 on here.

Thanks for the help!
Posted on: 2010/1/6 15:43

Senior Guru
Conway, AR
128 Posts

OK. I got the lid and plenum off. As with most car projects, I just needed a bigger pipe and a larger hammer.

Now the fun part. The fuel rail doesn't look like it will come out w/o removing the runners. Problem is, the bottom bolt on each runner pair doesn't look like it can be taken off w/o removing the friggin valve covers.

I hate the Super Ram. They took the worst parts of the old TPI and made them even worse - amazing.
Posted on: 2010/1/6 23:17

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Dale - glad you got it off. And since you're having so many problems with that piece of junk, I'm willing to make a very generous offer of a $100 bill to take it off your hands

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/1/7 12:20

Senior Guru
Conway, AR
128 Posts

I'm not completely up on the going rate for SR runners and plenum but $100 seems a bit low but tempting.

I will be putting this thing up for sale tho if I can find either a reasonably priced MiniRam or someone who does the machining for LT1 conversions.
Posted on: 2010/1/7 14:59

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I'm keep changing my mind with my intake choices. I never know what I want from one day to the next. Keep me posted.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/1/8 2:30

Senior Guru
Conway, AR
128 Posts

I got a PM from someone on CF that is willing to part with his converted LT1 setup for a reasonable price so if all goes well that is probably the route I am going to take.

Once that is installed and going the SR will be on the market. It's only the runners and plenum, tho. When LPE did the install in the early 90's they used the stock base (emissions?). I don't know if it is ported or not but I'll find out tomorrow when I pull the runners off.
Posted on: 2010/1/8 3:41

BeachBum Re: Help removing SuperRam
Master Guru
751 Posts

Based upon my past testing with various intakes such as the MR, SR and long tube runners, I'd recommend you stay with the Superram, it will provide you with the best performance in a car set-up for the street. (ie: 3k or less converter, moderate gears, hyd roller cam)

I do recommend swapping out that stock base intake for an Accell.....probably corking up the SR a bit with a stocker underneath it.

It is a bit more difficult to install, but honestly, its only an extra hour to put on the Superram vs a Miniram.....the tradeoff is, for that extra hour on 1 day of the year, you receive 40-50 more ftlbs of torque where you want it every day for years..... its an easy decision to me.

good luck !
Posted on: 2010/1/10 7:00

Senior Guru
Conway, AR
128 Posts

I appreciate the input but I really want this thing gone. It may be a great intake for performance but I refuse to put up with the PITA it brings for maintenance. I've probably blown about 10hrs trying to get this thing off between drilling out all of the lid bolts and trying to pry the lid and plenum off. Having to remove the valve covers to get the runners off because the designers were too stupid to notch the runner flange to remove the injectors was the last straw.

As to the lost torque, we'll see what happens. I can always switch it back. Although if I do that I'll have to make some adjustments.
Posted on: 2010/1/11 0:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.