Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
300 user(s) are online (235 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  CFI
Cross Fire Injection. Method of fuel delivery in the L82 motor. The 1984 is the only C4 to use the L82. This is the same engine used in the 1982 C3. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jmartynuska Rear Hub removal - came out in 2 pieces
Guru
Rindge, NH
51 Posts

I'm chasing a bad vibration in the rear so I though I'd start easy (bearings)and work hard (diff).

Tried to remove the RR hub to inspect it and had to use a 3-jaw puller to get it off the half shaft.

In the process I managed to pull the hub apart.

I pushed the two pieces back together and rotated the bearing. It didn't feel rough, but it wouldn't stay together either.

Any idea whether I ruined a perfectly good bearing in the process of removal, or was it bad before I got to it? I also didn't notice a washer that's supposed to be between the half shaft and the hub.

Of course, now I am looking at replacement regardless

TIA,

Jeff

(on the vibration, I grab and rotate the two half shafts in opposite directions and see a lot of movement between the two and hear clunking noises in the diff - not sure the bearing was the problem, but it may be a contributor? The vibe is bad, especially over 65)
Posted on: 2010/3/18 19:33

jaa1992 Re: Rear Hub removal - came out in 2 pieces
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

Yep, hub is junk now.

I bought a pair of the NOS bearings from Corvette Recycling and they expedited my oder so I can change them out this weekend.

I was driving to work Tuesday and the driver side growled real bad on the way to work. I know when I unbolt it I will have 2 pieces

If any one else has the tapered bearing hubs they bought as part of the group purchase a couple years ago - check your hubs often.
Posted on: 2010/3/18 19:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Rear Hub removal - came out in 2 pieces
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

You didn't break it, it was already bad, IMHO. I'd order a new set from corvette recycling, that's what I did. As far as the washer, search for one of my old threads on rear hubs and you'll see it.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/3/18 22:03

BrianCunningham Re: Rear Hub removal - came out in 2 pieces
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

if they're real old they come apart like that

That said, you can't use a puller on them unless it only hooks to the center, which I'm not sure can be done.
Posted on: 2010/3/18 22:18

jmartynuska Re: Rear Hub removal - came out in 2 pieces
Guru
Rindge, NH
51 Posts

Since I need the car, I ordered a pair of rear hubs from the local Napa store.

I didn't think I could get enough umph with just a 3-jaw and 1/2 drive breaker bar to separate a bearing.

I ordered the washers a while ago in anticipation. They've been sitting on a shelf waiting. I've probably seen some of your threads referencing the washers before - probably what prompted me to order them in the first place.

Since it's still a DD, I can get a few miles on the hubs before the first autocross of my season on April 11.

I know people have posted pics in the past of disassembled hubs, but I've never been able to view any. What holds it together?
Posted on: 2010/3/18 22:26

Guru
Rindge, NH
51 Posts

Brian,

It's a generic puller with 3 arms 120* apart (can be converted to a 2-arm), it hooked around the wheel flange with the center bolt bearing against the stub axle.

I had heard of the rears coming apart before. Thank goodness for that nut on the axle, which makes periodic inspection by shaking the wheel a little difficult.

That makes the tally 1 rear hub on the vette separated, 1 front hub on the f-body broken (the little stub of an axle snapped during an autocross run).
Posted on: 2010/3/18 23:22

Guru
187 Posts

I ordered mine from Corvette Recycling on Tuesday and they arrived today, cost a little more for "rush" shipping. I need my car on Monday. I'm planning to get them done over the weekend.

When I changed my rear hubs a little over a year ago my passenger rear hub came off in two pieces when I removed the axle bolt.
Posted on: 2010/3/19 0:01

Guru
Rindge, NH
51 Posts

What symptoms were you having? Grinding noises, clicking, vibrations, play?
Posted on: 2010/3/19 0:10

CentralCoaster Re: Rear Hub removal - came out in 2 pieces
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

What does this have to do with the tapered bearing GP?

Aren't the Corvette Recycling hubs just oem NDH units?
Posted on: 2010/3/19 1:07

BrianCunningham Re: Rear Hub removal - came out in 2 pieces
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

the stub axle helps keep it together, which is why it came apart when you put the puller on it, here's a xsection
Photobucket
BTW I took apart a brand new one to find this out
Photobucket
and here's why you can't put it back together, PLASTIC BEARING CAGES!
Posted on: 2010/3/19 1:44

Guru
187 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
What does this have to do with the tapered bearing GP?

Aren't the Corvette Recycling hubs just oem NDH units?

I bought mine with the tapered bearing GP and put them on just over a year ago. They did not last wery long compared to the OEM bearings. I'm going back to OEM. If you bought bearings from the GP check them often, especially if you do track days.

To the poster that asked about noises etc.:
When my OEM went bad there was no grinding or extra noises from the rear. Just a wiggle when the wheel was jacked up and checked at 12 & 6.
My tapered bearing grinds like a mofo when making a right turn (puts load on that side) and has a good wiggle when checked at 12&6
Posted on: 2010/3/19 13:39

Guru
Rindge, NH
51 Posts

Alright, I put the Napa bearings on - (made in China BTW). Left side came off the stub axle with hand pressure and in one piece. Yes, bad RR hub.

As for symptoms, it sounds quieter back there - not that a C4 will ever be quiet - and feels a little tighter, less twitchy.

As for my vibration, I'll call it improved but not fixed. Feels more central. With the new RR hub, I don't feel shaking center-right, just center. I have a feeling I'm gonna need all new bearings in the diff as well as bushings in the rear before all is said and done. Too bad stock replacement bushings are made of unobtainium.
Posted on: 2010/3/24 21:36

SpectatorRacing Re: Rear Hub removal - came out in 2 pieces
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Not to point out the obvious, and forgive me if you've already posted about it in the past, but have you checked easy things like wheels out of round or a tire out of balance?

I haven't heard of rear ends on C4's causing vibrations. Moaning and grinding, sure, but not vibes.

What about your halfshafts? They get dinged or bent somewhat easily.
Posted on: 2010/3/25 0:09

Guru
Rindge, NH
51 Posts

No problem with pointing out the obvious - I freely admit I can be "blind" at times, or is it blonde?

The RR wears faster than any other corner, LR almost as fast - probably in part due to an aggressive alignment driven on the street.

Something tells me I've chased out of balance wheels before and that wasn't it. Good suggestion, though. I'll try rotating tires around tomorrow and see what I get.

When I replaced the u-joints one was bound up so badly it wouldn't rotate at all and the cap broke from the strain. Somehow in my mind I want to relate some of my trouble back to there. It was the RR outer u-joint.

[img width=300]http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=30366643&id=1018720494[/img]

I also have an issue with the pinion yoke. U-joint is loose in the register. I measured u-joints and the yoke with calipers, I know I need a yoke, which means crush sleeve/pinion bearing preload is compromised, which means pull the diff....

At low vehicle speeds and lower gears - especially 6th, every once in a while I'll hear a fairly loud clunk when I get back on the gas from decel, best I can relate is a backlash kind of clunk. Rotating the half shafts by hand I get a good bit of play at the diff housing and clunking. This is the only IRS D44 I've ever been around, so I don't know what's "normal".

The shin bone's connected to the thigh bone, the thigh bones...
Posted on: 2010/3/25 1:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.