Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
182 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SBC
This stands for Small Block Chevrolet. The engine debuted in 1955 and remained largely unchanged until 1986. The initials are still used today to d...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

corvetteronw Servicing options
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Well, got my new-to-me 91 on the road with plates and all and actually drove it to work on April 15.
Then the next day I ended up in the Cardiac Cath lab with a 95% blocked heart artery. I now have 2 stents in that artery and am scheduled to have another put into another artery that is 70% blocked. The docs just now let me go back to work and are allowing some mild exercise (walking).
I feel great but am kinda tired.
I cannot lift anything heavy for a while or do any physically hard work.
I was planning on getting the Corvette up in the air and doing the flush and refill with all the fluids. Looks like I will be taking it to the local Quaker State lube place instead. Right now they have $10 off on the A4 flush and fill and also for the rear end. They have Mobil 1 to do the oil change so I will be using that.
By the way. This oil change place is run and staffed by car guys who are mature and have always treated me right in the past. No high school dropout types or gangstas. They are polite and seem to go the extra mile whenever I have had other vehicles in there. They have earned my trust in the past.
Is it worth it to use full synthetics? I know that I will use Mobil 1 for the engine but is it necessary to use full synthetics for the rear end and the tranny?
The car has 108,000 miles and I have all the receipts from the original owner. As far as I can tell the rear end, brake fluid and power steering system have never been flushed. The car is a weekend, sunny day driver that will not be autocrossed or drag raced.
Am I being too anal by wanting to have the work done now. I guess I could wait another 6 weeks until I can do it myself.
Posted on: 2010/4/20 18:02

Vetron87 Re: Servicing options
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I'm glad your doing so well. Pretty common procedure anymore. I had both knees replaced in 05 and I couldn't wait the 6 weeks to work on my cars. Two weeks later the vettes on ramps and I'm underneath it changing oil/filter and then a good bath and wax. My wife had a fit when she saw me. The Doctors said, I couldn't drive for a month, was driving in the second week. Uh!!! I see a pattern developing here...... Never mind!!!!
Posted on: 2010/4/20 21:21

Matatk Re: Servicing options
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22812 Posts

I used dyno oil in my motor in the past, but once the new motor is broken in it will be switched to Mobil 1. As far as the trans, PeteK doesn't recommend using synthetic, and my trans guy today said just use regular Dexron III. The rear end I used synthetic and added 2 bottles of LSD additive.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/4/20 22:05

flyboy Re: Servicing options
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I'm glad the operation went well. Stay healthy.
Posted on: 2010/4/20 23:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Ultraman Re: Servicing options
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14792 Posts

Glad to hear you are doing well! You will find that changing the brake fluid will improve how the brakes work. It did for me and my 90 only has 52K on it. The stuff was nasty when I changed it. I am running Mobil 1 in engine and Dexron III in trany and will go to synthetic in the rear end.

Don't worry about it, if you trust the guys down at the shop let them handle it this time. There is plenty more stuff you can do on your own when you get back to 100%.
Posted on: 2010/4/20 23:35

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

CentralCoaster Re: Servicing options
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

How long is "awhile"? If it means more than a year, sure, the synthetics will get you more breathing room until you can do the work yourself.

I'd just leave it. What's another 6 weeks if it's already been forever? I don't trust those shop goons to do anything, ganstas or not. There's no such thing as a "good ol boy" working on your oil change any more. They're probably working there because they can't be trusted with a cash register.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 0:22

bogus Re: Servicing options
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20861 Posts

Ron - Glad you are doing so very well!

Synthetics are best for the engine, because they resist breakdown from gas contamination; plus they won't go all sludged up.

I would be shocked if the gear oil did that, dino or not. There isn't the heat or contaminates to contend with.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 4:35

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

corvetteronw Re: Servicing options
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I used dyno oil in my motor in the past, but once the new motor is broken in it will be switched to Mobil 1. As far as the trans, PeteK doesn't recommend using synthetic, and my trans guy today said just use regular Dexron III. The rear end I used synthetic and added 2 bottles of LSD additive.

Matthew

If Pete K says to use Dexron III then that is the advice I will follow. He da man!
Posted on: 2010/4/21 13:39

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
I'm glad your doing so well. Pretty common procedure anymore. I had both knees replaced in 05 and I couldn't wait the 6 weeks to work on my cars. Two weeks later the vettes on ramps and I'm underneath it changing oil/filter and then a good bath and wax. My wife had a fit when she saw me. The Doctors said, I couldn't drive for a month, was driving in the second week. Uh!!! I see a pattern developing here...... Never mind!!!!

The docs also told me not to drive for 48 hours. Wife threatened to keep my keys as I was not going to comply. The theory is that the sedative they used during surgery can still be in your system for that much time.
My manager wanted to see my restrictions for work. I told her I was not to lift anything heavy for a week. She asked me to define "heavy". I told her, "I should not lift you.". Shoulda seen the look on her face! My limit is "nothing heavier than a gallon of milk". I have worked 2 shifts now and have not had a problem. I did tell the nurses I worked with that they should be prepared to put pressure on my groin if I should start bleeding from my femoral artery. That is where the sheath was inserted so that is the area I have to watch out for.
I am trying to do a complete life style change. This was a wakeup call that I am not going to ignore.
Thanks for everyone's concern.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 13:46

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
How long is "awhile"? If it means more than a year, sure, the synthetics will get you more breathing room until you can do the work yourself.

I'd just leave it. What's another 6 weeks if it's already been forever? I don't trust those shop goons to do anything, ganstas or not. There's no such thing as a "good ol boy" working on your oil change any more. They're probably working there because they can't be trusted with a cash register.

Thanks. I will probably wait. I am just pissed that this episode threw off my plans. I was also planning on going to the C4 gathering at the NCM in May but I may not be able to do this depending on when the next surgery is due.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 13:49

Vetron87 Re: Servicing options
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

They had me on Morphine in the hospital, Vicadin mega doses at home. Thats why they didn't want me to drive and the knees didn't work real well yet! That thing called a brake pedal was hard to use.
Posted on: 2010/4/21 14:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.