Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
217 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH350
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.52
2nd Gear: 1.52
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1969 thru 1979.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BCinKC 94 LT1 wiring questions
Guru Newb
9 Posts

Having a couple of problems and wanted to get your opinions on these.

Before I start here is a little history on the car. Transmission was rebuilt recently and the heads were removed, checked, surfaced and reinstalled. Seems that a lot of wires were loose, unhooked or broken during those repairs. Amazing how many problems you can solve by hooking up 6 ground wires, plugging in a couple of relays and tightening the trigger wire on the starter. Also amazing that people that call themselves pros did the damage.

I think I am getting close to getting the wiring back in order but I found a couple of things that I hope someone has seen before. On the passenger side head there is supposed to be a temp sensor. The connector is still there but there is no sensor. This is the connector that goes through a metal shield and then sits nicely on top of the exhaust manifold when there is no place to plug it in. I find a tapped hole in the head (about an 1/8 pipe thread) where it should be but no water comes out so I assume it is not the correct spot for the sensor. Over on the drivers side, near the front of the head there is what feels like a larger (1/4 pipe?) allen head plug. Any ideas what is going on? Could it be they replaced a head and used one off of a different year? Or is there a right & left head?

One other thing that I am having a hard time finding in the Helms manual - Passenger side wiring harness comes out of the firewall, splits a few times and one section goes down to the O2 sensor. It appears I have a second connection way up by the head that has the same exact plug as the O2 sensor. Any ideas where that might go?
Posted on: 2010/7/5 22:42

bogus Re: 94 LT1 wiring questions
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

wow... I wish I had some pictures.

However, I will try...

1. the coolant temp sensor belongs on the right head, between #6 and #8 cylinders. So you have the right connectors, wrong sensor, apparently. it should be a 1/4" NPT fitting.

2. I am wondering if you are talking about the optispark harness. It would rest between cylinders #4 and 6.

IF you can throw up some pics, that would help a lot.
Posted on: 2010/7/5 23:12

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: 94 LT1 wiring questions
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BCinKC wrote:
One other thing that I am having a hard time finding in the Helms manual - Passenger side wiring harness comes out of the firewall, splits a few times and one section goes down to the O2 sensor. It appears I have a second connection way up by the head that has the same exact plug as the O2 sensor. Any ideas where that might go?

That second connection is probably for the the temp. sender.
It should be routed behind the exhaust manifold.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0815.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  IMGP0816.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/7/5 23:53

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

2. I am wondering if you are talking about the optispark harness. It would rest between cylinders #4 and 6.

I don't quite follow that,Andy, the part about between 4&6.
The opti harness comes out of the fire wall just above the intake (thru a clamp on the intake) and lays on top of the intake.
Posted on: 2010/7/5 23:56

BCinKC Re: 94 LT1 wiring questions
Guru Newb
9 Posts

So here is what is left of the plug for what I believe is the temp sensor. 

Here are the other two connectors.  I know that one goes to the O2 sensor but not sure about the other.

I stretched them out to show the length. The longer one goes to the O2.

This is the front of the drivers side head.  If this were around on the passenger side I would just need to take the plug out and insert a sensor. Unfortunately the head on the passenger side does not seem to have the same hole.

Hope that helps.  Wiring is hard to describe and even harder to understand someone else's description. 
Posted on: 2010/7/6 0:39

Guru Newb
9 Posts

Hey Bill that is the connector I have - just no where to plug it in.

I have a rather small hole in the head right there that does not leak water so I'm not sure what is going on there. 
Posted on: 2010/7/6 0:46

Aboatguy Re: 94 LT1 wiring questions
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

The same casting is used as a Left or Right head s...

Both ends of the head are tapped for the steam tube...whatever side ends up on the front gets pipe plugs.

So long story short...there should be...no there has to be a hole or plugged hole for your temp sensor.....If the plug is between the front pair on the drivers side ....the hole will be between the rear pair of cylinders on the passanger side.

Mike
Posted on: 2010/7/6 0:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

The opti harness comes out of the fire wall just above the intake (thru a clamp on the intake) and lays on top of the intake.

the harness connection rests between intake ports #4 and #6.

However, this thing is a kludge.

First off, the head temp sensor isn't relevant. If it isn't leaking, life does go on.

As for harness positioning, IIRC, the opti harness does NOT come up out of the firewall, it comes out of the ECM.
Posted on: 2010/7/6 1:23

Guru Newb
9 Posts

Took a little mirror out and figured it out.  So there is a plug in the passenger side head as well.  The bad news is someone has eaten out the inside of the plug to where it is round.  This is going to be a blast to get out considering where it is at.  Thanks to all those that chimed in for the assistance. 

Anyone have any ideas on the 2 identical electrical plugs?  Maybe I could just plug the O2 sensor in and wait for the computer to set a code? 
Posted on: 2010/7/6 1:25

vis_croceus Re: 94 LT1 wiring questions
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Quote:

Here are the other two connectors.  I know that one goes to the O2 sensor but not sure about the other.

Front and rear O2s.
Posted on: 2010/7/6 1:28

Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Quote:

BCinKC wrote:
Took a little mirror out and figured it out.  So there is a plug in the passenger side head as well.  The bad news is someone has eaten out the inside of the plug to where it is round.  This is going to be a blast to get out considering where it is at.  Thanks to all those that chimed in for the assistance. 

Assuming it's an original plug, never removed, you are going to have to remove the head to get that out.

If it still sticks up above the head you can use a bolt extractor and it comes off pretty easily. If not, I'd just take it to a machine shop.

Option #2 - leave it off (just feeds the dash display).

Option #3 - move it to the driver's head. Driver's-side plug can be removed in the car (again, use a bolt extractor.) The F-bodies have it on the driver's head.

If I was in the situation you're in I'd probably move it to the driver's head.
Posted on: 2010/7/6 1:34

Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Double check on that passenger side plug that it is rounded off as opposed to being a new plug with an interior hex.

The aftermarket plugs will sit inside the hole rather than proud like the originals and they have 6 sides instead of the original 4.

It would make more sense that the builder removed the sensor and installed a new plug, as opposed to that he started with two mismatched heads with OEM plugs and ground down one plug but left the other alone...
Posted on: 2010/7/6 1:38

Guru Newb
9 Posts

Quote:
vis_croceus wrote: Double check on that passenger side plug that it is rounded off as opposed to being a new plug with an interior hex. The aftermarket plugs will sit inside the hole rather than proud like the originals and they have 6 sides instead of the original 4. It would make more sense that the builder removed the sensor and installed a new plug, as opposed to that he started with two mismatched heads with OEM plugs and ground down one plug but left the other alone...

I got a pretty good look at it with the mirror and it looks like maybe they tried to loosen it with a ratchet and they were sitting in it crooked.  At this point I have given up on the things that make the most sense...like Bogus said "this thing is a kludge".  If nothing else I think moving it to the drivers side at some point might be the easiest solution. 

Thanks again for the help everyone. 
Posted on: 2010/7/6 2:00

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

the harness connection rests between intake ports #4 and #6.

However, this thing is a kludge.

First off, the head temp sensor isn't relevant. If it isn't leaking, life does go on.

As for harness positioning, IIRC, the opti harness does NOT come up out of the firewall, it comes out of the ECM.

OK Got ya, I was think harness, not the connector.
Yea, the harness does come from the ECM, it is teed into a harness coming out of the firewall on the right side, then goes over the intake.
Posted on: 2010/7/6 13:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

vis_croceus wrote:
Quote:

Front and rear O2s.

on a 94? I didn't think they started that until 95.
Posted on: 2010/7/6 14:07

pr0zac Re: 94 LT1 wiring questions
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i just went out to my car. its a 96 and i have a my rear o2's deleted and i zip tied my rear o2 plug up to the harness so it wouldn't get burned up but by looking at it, it seem to literally identical to your setup.. if you would like me to take pics i can text you or email pics from my phone. call or text 845-849-5575. i am free all day. i do have long tubes and no cats but i can pull the harness out and describe to you what was connected to what.

josh
Posted on: 2010/7/6 15:58

MK 82 Re: 94 LT1 wiring questions
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

96 LT4

Let me know if you need anymore

[IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg8/LT496/DSC00245.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/7/6 16:14

pr0zac Re: 94 LT1 wiring questions
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

MK 82 wrote:
96 LT4

Let me know if you need anymore

[IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg8/LT496/DSC00245.jpg[/IMG]

ha..
Posted on: 2010/7/6 16:40

Guru Newb
9 Posts

That helps a lot right there. I can tell by looking at that picture that I need to route my wiring harness differently. All of the O2 wires are pulled out of that bundle and ran over the top of the V/C.
Posted on: 2010/7/8 12:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.