Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
289 user(s) are online (246 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

kelley 94-94 1/2 optispark?
Guru Newb
thomasville ga
122 Posts

how do you tell if the optispark distributor is for the older or newer lt1 with out takeing it off?? the newer one has a vent?.reason i just got a miss on one cylinder, i figure for the worst case sanerio.also how are the wires run,the looms seem to be missing.zip ties the plug wires to other things,
Posted on: 2007/12/22 10:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CasetheCorvetteman RE:94-94 1/2 optispark?
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Will only be the cap and rotor at worst if its related to the distributor at all mate, pointless to waste money and through away a good part when you only need a cap and rotor.

Telling the difference is theoretically very simple. There is no such animal as a 94.5, its either a 94 or its a 95. If its a 94, its got the old distributor design, provided it hasnt been upgraded (and why youd bother i dont know)

If you really are going to replace it, use an MSD hevery duty unit.
Posted on: 2007/12/22 14:07

Ramrod RE:94-94 1/2 optispark?
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Mine would run for a few days then die. Finaly I bought a DynaSpark and that was three yrs ago. I don't know if their still in business? the DynaSpark is rebuildable.
Posted on: 2007/12/22 16:41

81c3 Re: 94-94 1/2 optispark?
Senior Guru
Colorado
143 Posts

Quote:
how do you tell if the optispark distributor is for the older or newer lt1 with out takeing it off?? the newer one has a vent?.reason i just got a miss on one cylinder, i figure for the worst case sanerio.also how are the wires run,the looms seem to be missing.zip ties the plug wires to other things,

Dont skip the simple stuff first. Alot of people tend to blame the opti right off the bat. Check your wires first for cracks. Start the car in the dark & look for the spark arcing to ground. You mention theres missing wire looms/keepers......this may be where the wire jackets wore through and are arcing to ground. Pull the plugs if you can & look at those too. How many miles on them? Do you know which cylinder is missing?

On another note, the worst case scenario being the opti, the job isnt that hard & its not a huge deal really. What sucked the most was running the wires back in their original locations. That took the longest if I remember correctly.
Posted on: 2007/12/23 4:56

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

81c3, youre a bloody good bloke mate, and a smart one too. I agree with you on all counts, and im happy to finally see another person that doesnt blame every single drivability issue dirrectly on the distributor!!
Posted on: 2007/12/23 6:44

81c3 RE:94-94 1/2 optispark?
Senior Guru
Colorado
143 Posts

Quote:
81c3, youre a bloody good bloke mate, and a smart one too. I agree with you on all counts, and im happy to finally see another person that doesnt blame every single drivability issue dirrectly on the distributor!!

rarely accused of being "smart"...but thanks dude! On a side note, I keep finding myself reading your posts with the queens english accent!! :tongue: ....
Posted on: 2007/12/23 15:22

bogus RE:94-94 1/2 optispark?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

depending on the problems, I always suggest checking the coil wire first.

It can chaffe against the waterpump and then start to ground out. It will act much like a bad opti... but it's not.

The Gen I opti (1992-1994), does it have some issues, mostly due to a lack of proper ventilation.

What happens is that water gets in, it floats around as a mist, causes shorts on the contacts, which leads to carbon tracing. The worse case is if antifreeze gets inside... that is super bad. There is no way to get around that... antifreeze eats oils. It gets inside and seeps into the sealed bearing. That will then eat the grease and the bearing is no longer lubed. The lack of lube then causes the bearing to wear down quicky.

Once the bearing wears, the problem gets really bad - the drive shaft that supports the rotor - and the opti side - starts to wobble.

And that leads to codes.

As stated, this is called an Opti-Spark. The Opti - or optical - side is closer to the engine. It is susceptable to oil leaks from the engine and damage to the driveshaft. You see, the optical side is a disc about 2" round. It has 360 small holes on the outermost edge of the disc, within the middle of the ring are 4 holes of different sizes. The outer holes are for engine timing, the inner holes are for fuel timing.

Once a code starts to occur, it could be for either the Hi-res - High Resolution, or timing - or lo-res - Low Resolution or fuel. H16 and/or H36 for pre-1996 cars, IIRC. I don't remember off hand which is which, but either is bad. The only other thing that can gen that code is a bad ECM or a harness problem. Don't let someone tell you a bad knock or O2 sensor will do it, cause it won't!

The aforementioned bearing failures will cause opti codes, too. What happens is the shaft wobbles, the disc loses contact with reality and the optical sensor can't pick it up anymore.

All that it means is that the engine controller has lost contact with the Opti... for whatever reason... if you get both codes, it could be that the harness is in really bad shape, but if that looks ok (and I have seen some corrode), it is more than likely the opti itself.

Moisture is the biggest enemy of the optispark. If it was my car, and I lived in a high humidity/heavy rain area, I would seriously consider replacing the entire unit. Especially if the miles on the unit are over 60k miles. At that point, in that environment, the opti becomes a ticking time bomb.

The wisest thing to do is to take your time, if you can be without the car, I would remove everything, inspect the old opti, and order parts accordingly. If when you spin the drive shaft, and you hear grinding and it doesn't spin easily, replace the entire component set, otherwise, cap/rotor would be ok.

The reason I am suspect of the earlier version is the lack of positive pressure ventilation. The later units have that. You can, tho, retro-fit a vent kit that will do the same thing, perhaps not as eligantly, tho. The other reason is labour - the Opti is a tough nut to crack, and I don't wanna do it more than I have to.

long term storage is also bad, because the moisture will just sit and rust up things inside...

As an aside, my opti has been in for over 100k miles and hasn't thrown one code. I did replace the high-voltage with the LTCC conversion kit, it allows for the use of 8 LS1 style coils. Works great!!! looks goofy, but it works great. www.bailey-eng.com
Posted on: 2007/12/23 17:20

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
rarely accused of being "smart"...but thanks dude! On a side note, I keep finding myself reading your posts with the queens english accent!! :tongue: ....

HAHA!! Mate thats not the right accent!!! Send me a PM with your phone number ill be able to give you a call on Christmas day, i have made many many MANY phone calls to Colorado over the past 2 years!! @ 2 cents a minute, the pleasure is all mine too

Same goes for the rest of you blokes, but i wont get round to you all, and make sure you give me a time to call, or you might get an early wake up!!!
Posted on: 2007/12/24 7:57

kelley RE:94-94 1/2 optispark?
Guru Newb
thomasville ga
122 Posts

guy has a ACCEL upti sparkII for 94 1/2 and up... just wondered where the cutoff was for the older version or do they all fit?? thanks
Posted on: 2007/12/24 15:13

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

DO NOT USE ACCEL!!!

Junko-rama. They don't use bearings... oillite bushings. They just don't last all that long.
Posted on: 2007/12/24 17:23

Guru Newb
thomasville ga
122 Posts

thanks, wasen`t sure why getting rid of it,now we know,
Posted on: 2007/12/24 18:41

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yes, dont touch ACCEL. Get an MSD if youre really that keen to replace it.
Posted on: 2007/12/25 1:54

jrzvette RE:94-94 1/2 optispark?
Guru
new jersey
73 Posts

Quote:
guy has a ACCEL upti sparkII for 94 1/2 and up... just wondered where the cutoff was for the older version or do they all fit?? thanks

The cut off was 1995, there was no change during the 94 model year. 1995 and 96 were activly vented rather than the weep holes found in the 92 - 94 versions.

If you have a 92 - 94 your best bet is the MSD or Dynaspark (if they're still in business. I have a Dynaspark by the way). You can upgrade an early unit for a later one but it imvolves changing the timing chain cover among other parts.
Posted on: 2007/12/25 2:43

Guru Newb
thomasville ga
122 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

The cut off was 1995, there was no change during the 94 model year. 1995 and 96 were activly vented rather than the weep holes found in the 92 - 94 versions.

If you have a 92 - 94 your best bet is the MSD or Dynaspark (if they're still in business. I have a Dynaspark by the way). You can upgrade an early unit for a later one but it imvolves changing the timing chain cover among other parts.
thank you, guess i don`t need to take anything apart,,
Posted on: 2007/12/25 14:16

BillH RE:94-94 1/2 optispark?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

A note on the MSD. The connector won't fit the 92 wiring harness. It's not a big deal, just a 4 wire solder and heat shrink.
This info's not in the MSD instructions unless they changed recently.
I have the wiring diagran/connections if anyone wants them.
Posted on: 2007/12/25 15:53

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

this is correct. The 1992 Corvette had a 6 pin (used 5) squared connector.

The pin assignments are the same, tho, A = A, B=B and so on. The last one is a ground shield that 1993 and newer didn't use. The last pin was empty.
Posted on: 2007/12/25 18:04

BillH RE:94-94 1/2 optispark?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, the pin assignments on the 92 are the same but the wire colors are different.

Here's the wire connections:
92 LT1 MSD

black/red(stripe) to brown/yellow - low resolution
purple/white to brown/orange - hi res
yellow to red - 12 volt
black/pink to red/green - ground

The 5th wire in the LT1 harness is a ground/shielding wire. It's not needed on the MSD Opti. It doesn't connect to anything on the GM Opti either, just wraped around the other 4 wires for shielding.
Posted on: 2007/12/27 16:01

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yes, the colours are different.
Posted on: 2007/12/27 17:24

Notorious RE:94-94 1/2 optispark?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Early optis don't have the venting hoses, unless they've been modified for them. C4s and F-bodies got the later opti in '95. The big cars (iron head engines) got it in '94.
Posted on: 2007/12/28 0:44

Guru Newb
thomasville ga
122 Posts

thanks for the info., just checked for wire (bleed) loose sparks, none found,SO i still have a skip like one cylinder not fireing,it just started to,, has been running great..it hasen`t set, i have been driving it, so now it opens a whole new set of things that can be wrong , dosen`t it,,,it has not given any codes ,is the 94 different being the year they changed things in the engine?
Posted on: 2007/12/28 1:21

Lichen RE:94-94 1/2 optispark?
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

As others have suggested, it doesn't really sound like a problem with the opti-spark. Check the plugs and the wires. I replace my early style opti with a '96. It required a '95 timing chain cover and a new harness. Either that or go with an MSD, NOT AN ACCEL! Ever notice all of the ACCEL stickers on "European sport compacts?
Posted on: 2007/12/28 2:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.