Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
311 user(s) are online (256 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Courtesy Timer
With the doors closed and the key off - the windows should still go up/down and the radio plays (1990-1996)....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone I beg to differ
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2010/11/23 13:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: I beg to differ
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I have an excellent credit history that I've worked diligently through the years to maintain. They use credit scores for apartment rentals, insurance quotes and a lot of things that I don't even know. I think UM must be using credit scores to discriminate but in a good way. To find hard working trustworthy people that pay their bills and accept responsability. Just because some people don't think that should count, it is another tool in the hiring process. I guess she thinks a criminal past has no merit in job hiring process either.

Whaahhhh, whaaahhh .....
Posted on: 2010/11/23 14:02

BillH Re: I beg to differ
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The suit, which has potential to be a class action filing

The suit seeks to represent all similar unsuccessful job applicants since June 24, 2009

Goes back to the thread last week about lawyers.

Think it's this women's idea that this should be a class action???????????????????????
Posted on: 2010/11/23 14:26

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2010/11/23 14:31

bogus Re: I beg to differ
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have a problem with including a credit score with a job app... sure, there is a direct relationship between credit scores and responsibility, but what about legitimate personal disasters?

The economy sucks, she lost her last job due to layoffs, and her credit takes a shit, is that her being irresponsible? What about a divorce? How many divorces result in a bankrupsy filing? Illness, too.

Oh, and one near and dear to me, identity theft. How many good people are sitting in their cars, at their desks, in their doctors offices, not even knowing that someone, somewhere, is getting ready to make their life a living hell.

I am sorry, but the ratings on their own do not float for me. Most savvy interviewers will know a bad money manager real quick, they are flakey, late for interviews, casual about things that are important to the rest of us... at which point, they don't need the ratings to make a decision.

The implication here was that the woman was qualified and able to do the job, was passed over because of some nebulous number on a computer. If that is true, the policy must be stopped. On the part of the University, due dilligence does not stop at the review of a number. It must come with context. Are they getting the full credit history? Are they getting ontime/late pay matrixes?

The data is rather complex and requires a knowledgeable person to work through.
Posted on: 2010/11/23 17:29

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Certainly not a reason for not hiring someone but as a collective of information on an individual I can see it assisting a job interviewer.
Posted on: 2010/11/23 18:43

tjpreul Re: I beg to differ
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Insurance companies also use credit scores. I don't think my credit score makes me a better driver.
Posted on: 2010/11/23 19:07

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

bogus Re: I beg to differ
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Some states are banning that practice.

Again, a credit score is an index of liquidity right now. My credit score is 777, not bad, but a few years ago, due to job loss, it was down below 600. Does that mean I suck at money management? Does that make me more of a job risk? No, it doesn't.

That's why I don't like the use of the credit rating.

Criminal background? Identity confirmation? No problem... credit checks? Problem.
Posted on: 2010/11/23 19:11

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

cuisinartvette Re: I beg to differ
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Id have to agree with Bogus...sometimes life hands you bowls of chit one after the other after the other, unless it lets up eventually you get buried. Others yes they spend spend spend without a care in the world. Know some at work that file every 8-10 yrs, crazy.

Never say myself filing the big B but thats whats happening next month. Still have an 800 score, no lates simply cant do it and do basic living stuff;exhausted all options so it is what it is, lots of lessons learned.

It may prevent me from getting a better job may not. If it did I think its BS, lifes ride doesnt always go smooth.
Posted on: 2010/11/23 19:33

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

It is nothing more than a scan of your finance history. The employer can see if you are a potential threat or risk as an employee. If you are interviewing 250 candidates for a position, wouldn't you want the one that stood out as exceptional?
Posted on: 2010/11/23 19:33

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Attach file:

gif  Gone-Fishing.gif (108.08 KB)
852_4cec18e73c472.gif 613X492 px
Posted on: 2010/11/23 19:41

CentralCoaster Re: I beg to differ
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

My credit score is 777, not bad, but a few years ago, due to job loss, it was down below 600. Does that mean I suck at money management?

More often than not.

But even if it isn't, it's not really the HR department's duty to care. They are trying to narrow down the field of applicants as quickly as possible, at the risk of passing over some good candidates.

I'm necessarily defending the business's actions, but I think it's probably wrong to legislate against it.

A good credit score might not also make you a good driver, but I see the link. Someone with poor credit may be more likely to defraud their insurance company.

Does living in a bad zip code make you a worse driver? No, but it makes you more likely to need a claim, or to get hit by an uninsured motorist or theft, so they discriminate.

I think I do have a problem with them discriminating on gender, but again, that doesn't necessarily mean I support legislation against it.
Posted on: 2010/11/23 23:54

biggrizzly Re: I beg to differ
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I agree 100% with Andy... Five years ago my wife ( Computer Security Analyst) was out of work in South Carolina. I still had my job but it was all I had to keep the mortgage goiing until we moved back to Maryland where she could get another paying job. First hers then mine (scores) went into the 500s. I paid the mortgage first and then everything else until the money ran out. I still had debt and we moved back north. It has taken us five years to get up into the 750s again but during that period I was turned down for everything. My insurance was sky high etc. Was I any lesser of a person or a bigger risk? No! but the system was killing me. If we didn't move back north I would have been crushed without her income.

Its a really tough situation and sometimes you have to make drastic changes to try to fix it.
Posted on: 2010/11/24 2:33

tjpreul Re: I beg to differ
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

We've all been there. I had credit card troubles that dropped my scores. When this happened I got rid of all of my cards, and went to cash only. My point is that I actually worked harder to fix the problem. Everything I made went to pay off the cards. Even a huge tax return that I would have loved to spend on something else.
Posted on: 2010/11/24 2:56

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.