Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
168 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  HUD
HEADS UP DISPLAY. A DIGITAL PROJECTED DISPLAY ON INSIDE OF WINDSHIELD CONTAINING VEHICLE INFO SUCH AS SPEED, ENGINE TEMP, RPM, ETC. FOR DRIVER INFOR...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CasetheCorvetteman Dropped my drill :(
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Dropped my 10 yr old faithful Ryobi 18v cordless drill at work today, its been in need of replacement for quite some time now,
and it has been replaced at home by this big red beast:Resized Image
Resized Image

However, the good old Ryobi still gets abit of light duties at work, with the occational heavy duty task thrown in.

I knocked the poor old thing off a bench today though, and while it still works, it requires alot of pressure on the FWD/REV switch
to select the rotation dirrection, and you have to hold it firm to make it go. Pretty impractical really isnt it.

So i dont know what i will replace it with, looked at a few, i am thinking ill have to test a few of the "smaller" cordless drills at the
tool shop next time im there, for the duties ive been putting this old rig up to, even a 12v or 14.4v would do the job, both are priced
so closely i thing to myself "may as well have the 14.4v for another few bucks", then the 18v are only about another
$50-$80 more again, so i start thinking "i could just get another 18v...."

Then comes the wondering part, i drill bricks, concrete, and tile a fair bit, for which ill use either my Milwaukee V28 or
the Milwaukee LOKTOR 18v with hammer mode owned by the place i work for, which means a walk back to the
workshop, or an extra load to carry on the way.....

I can get a decent cordless hammer drill in 12v or 14.4v thatll do the job, but for just that bit extra, i can have an 18v.....

What to do!!! I could see myself ending up with another big red 28 volt Milwaukee here!!! Resized Image
Posted on: 2007/12/31 11:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone RE:Dropped my drill :(
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I always like to get the best reasonably affordable items i can buy. So I'm usually somewhere in the high middle range on price and quality. Or you could check out the local pawn shop and check out thier offerings. You do have pawn shops in your part of the world; Don't you?
Posted on: 2007/12/31 12:24

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Dropped my drill :(
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yeah mate, we do indeed. I have looked there a few times, the problem with buying used cordless tools is you dont know
what they have been through, and you never know how the batteries with be untill you get into a job and it goes flat!!
Posted on: 2007/12/31 12:28

SpectatorRacing RE:Dropped my drill :(
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Get the 14.4...technology has moved along and I bet it has more torque than the 10 year old 18 V you lost (may she RIP).

Plus, you said it was for light duty, 18 V is overkill, too big for small spaces, and heavier...

I have a 12V and a couple of 14.4's and haven't had a screw or bolt yet that the 14.4 couldn't take on. Except my hub bolts, but that's what impact guns are for...
Posted on: 2007/12/31 17:06

CentralCoaster RE:Dropped my drill :(
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I have a full set of 18Volt Dewalt cordless. They're pretty common and there's a ton of different tools offered to change your batteries between.

Their hammer drill is a real nice piece! Makes every other cordless I've had feel like a toy.

They also have 30V ones now, but that seemed like overkill for what I need.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 17:51

BillH RE:Dropped my drill :(
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
I have a full set of 18Volt Dewalt cordless. They're pretty common and there's a ton of different tools offered to change your batteries between.

Their hammer drill is a real nice piece! Makes every other cordless I've had feel like a toy.

I think Dewalt makes some of the best stuff for the money. I don't have any of their cordless yet but, the corded grinder and sanders I have are about 10 years old and work as good as when they were new.

My 14.4 Ryobi drill batterys lasted 4 years. Got them rebuilt at BatteriesPlus for $22 each.
My 12v. Snap On impact is 10 years ols and the batterys are finally starting to go.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 20:23

CentralCoaster RE:Dropped my drill :(
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Batteries are the biggest difference. The toy tools have garbage batteries that don't stay charged, wear out quickly, and have no "ooomph".

My first litmus test is weight. The lightweight stuff is going to have chincy parts, plastic materials, etc.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 21:08

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Get the 14.4...technology has moved along and I bet it has more torque than the 10 year old 18 V you lost (may she RIP).

Plus, you said it was for light duty, 18 V is overkill, too big for small spaces, and heavier...

I have a 12V and a couple of 14.4's and haven't had a screw or bolt yet that the 14.4 couldn't take on. Except my hub bolts, but that's what impact guns are for...

I agree with you on most of that mate yes, although the 10yr old Ryobi 18v has alot more punch than the 3 year old 12v Metabo that sits in the workshop. Has more punch in 2nd than the Metabo does in first.

Quote:

My mate has the DeWalt yeah, 3 speed 18v hammer, XRP i think it is. There is a fair amount of construction going on where i work at the moment, one of the contractors has one of those 36volt DeWalt cordless hammer drills, its a great drill, but its bigger, its heavier, its got a shorter battery life and takes longer to charge compared to my Milwaukee V28

Quote:
I think Dewalt makes some of the best stuff for the money. I don't have any of their cordless yet but, the corded grinder and sanders I have are about 10 years old and work as good as when they were new.

My 14.4 Ryobi drill batterys lasted 4 years. Got them rebuilt at BatteriesPlus for $22 each.
My 12v. Snap On impact is 10 years ols and the batterys are finally starting to go.

Yeah they are good, i have a DeWalt corded angle grinder at work that has worked very hard, doesnt work as good as new though, and it gets abit hot these days!!

Quote:
Batteries are the biggest difference. The toy tools have garbage batteries that don't stay charged, wear out quickly, and have no "ooomph".

My first litmus test is weight. The lightweight stuff is going to have chincy parts, plastic materials, etc.

The one thing that upsets me most about my Ryobi being near dead is that even after 10 years, the battery still holds a charge. Seems a shame to throw it away!!

Thanks for all your input blokes, ill have a beer for you all now eh? And Happy New Year while im here too, happened almost 12 hrs ago here ;)
Posted on: 2008/1/1 1:36

bogus RE:Dropped my drill :(
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have the same DeWalt that CentralCoaster has and have been rather happy with it. Sure beats the hell out of my poor old Makita 9 v!!!!

And it's not that much heavier, either.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 2:42

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

The old Makita 9v eh? Thats going back a fair few years mate isnt it....
Posted on: 2008/1/1 3:13

bastet44 RE:Dropped my drill :(
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

That hammer drill DeWalt was the bomb when we were putting together the storage shed. Made it real easy.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 3:18

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.