Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
216 user(s) are online (183 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Offset
The distance from the wheel mounting flange to the imaginary centerline of the wheel. Wheels with negative offset will protrude outwards more, while...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Steve40th Lowering , revisited.
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Okay, so I noticed my right side was lower than the left side on my 93. Nothing seemed right. So, I decided to take a looksee. Put her on a lift, nothing obvious.
So, I went to work to remove the spring, as CC hada problem once before with epoxy. Well, the right side had slipped off of the spring. This caused the right side to go lower than the left.
Well, I bought some super duper epoxy from a Marine store, and will give it a try. It is in the Hobby shop curing for the 24hrs needed to get the full 150000 psi strenght , etc etc.
But, when a person decides to lower, I am going to recommend they just take the aluminum spacers out, and cut the rubber on there down a little. This will keep the factory fusion process they use to keep that rubber on, which is good. That way you dont have to find the right epoxy, etc etc.. Then, if it isnt low enough, then just cut part of or all of the pad eyes on the end of the spring.
Thats my take. Sorry so long winded.
Posted on: 2011/4/4 2:36

Matatk Re: Lowering , revisited.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Good tip, Steve. Not long winded at all
Posted on: 2011/4/4 3:03

Steve40th Re: Lowering , revisited.
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Here is the stuff I used today.
http://westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy/
Posted on: 2011/4/4 3:40

CentralCoaster Re: Lowering , revisited.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I need to get in there again, on my next attempted I'll try glueing the wedges to the metal above.
Posted on: 2011/4/4 7:17

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I need to get in there again, on my next attempted I'll try glueing the wedges to the metal above.

Funny you mentioned that. I was so close to gluing the wedges to the metal above, as they have more surface area to hold too. I decided to do it the other way, and see how this epoxy works.
If it does, which I think it will, good for me. I did put two aluminum plates in there too. The car is just so much lower with the corvette challenge spring. Good thing is I can adjust the height with the pad eye bushings I made out of delrin. The slide in and out real easy.
Posted on: 2011/4/4 16:14

bam Re: Lowering , revisited.
Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
Okay, so I noticed my right side was lower than the left side on my 93. Nothing seemed right. So, I decided to take a looksee. Put her on a lift, nothing obvious.
So, I went to work to remove the spring, as CC hada problem once before with epoxy. Well, the right side had slipped off of the spring. This caused the right side to go lower than the left.
Well, I bought some super duper epoxy from a Marine store, and will give it a try. It is in the Hobby shop curing for the 24hrs needed to get the full 150000 psi strenght , etc etc.
But, when a person decides to lower, I am going to recommend they just take the aluminum spacers out, and cut the rubber on there down a little. This will keep the factory fusion process they use to keep that rubber on, which is good. That way you dont have to find the right epoxy, etc etc.. Then, if it isnt low enough, then just cut part of or all of the pad eyes on the end of the spring.

Steve did you install the wedges "as is" ie w/o modifying them? When I put mine in I could not see how that "wedge" design would work very well, the point of the wedge puts a lot of pressure where it touches the frame, so I sanded the point off the wedge, so far no problems.
Posted on: 2011/4/4 16:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
Quote:

Steve40th wrote:

Steve did you install the wedges "as is" ie w/o modifying them? When I put mine in I could not see how that "wedge" design would work very well, the point of the wedge puts a lot of pressure where it touches the frame, so I sanded the point off the wedge, so far no problems.

My point was flattened to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch as it was in there a while. I see where you are coming from. I think with the original design, gm had rubber with the plates above. The rubber had much more give in it, as where the wedges dont give at all. The rubber allowed the spring to move left and right a little per design. If this breaks again, I will get a good piece of rubber, as close to the durometer(Spelling -5 points) of the factory rubber, and reapply it. I may even apply it more solid, how?, I dont know.
Posted on: 2011/4/4 17:23

CentralCoaster Re: Lowering , revisited.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

In 85, the rubber mounts on the spring actually encapsulated a nylon (delrin?) convex piece and an aluminum concave piece to allow smooth rotation of the spring.

I agree that the wedge solution isn't great, because as the spring moves, the wedges want to move in and out. This grinds the wedges against the frame and wears them down, and eventually will pull them loose. I've been through 3 different epoxies by now.

Maybe I will glue the wedge to the aluminum spacer, then put that against the top of the channel. Or coilovers. I don't mind the leaf spring but these lowering wedges are so halfasssed.
Posted on: 2011/4/4 19:26

Epimax Re: Lowering , revisited.
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Good tip, Steve. Not long winded at all

Indeed-Good info!
Posted on: 2011/4/5 13:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.